George Lloyd

Started by Thom, April 14, 2007, 12:37:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cilgwyn

The irony of course is that George Lloyd is Cornish,so unlike Bax,he is actually the Celt;although,looking at his Wikipedia entry,his father was American;and I don't know how far back his roots actually go back there? I will try and read more about him. Whether there is anything specifically Celtic about his music,I don't know? I'm not familiar enough with his music yet,of course. My father is Welsh speaking and I was born and brought up in Wales,but I can't say I find anything specifically Welsh sounding about Welsh composers beyond their source of inspiration and atmosphere. Well,not in the way VW or Elgar sound English,or Ravel sounds French,for example. Allot of the music of Daniel Jones and Grace Williams does make me think of Welsh things,of course. Daniel Jones evokes Welsh Seascapes and the rugged landscapes of parts of Wales. Seascapes,particularly,unsurprisingly. But I don't find anything specifically Welsh about the music itself! Although,there is a 'Welshness' to their music,somewhere. William Mathias is another example. It just doesn't sound as obviously of it's country of origin as does the music of VW,Elgar or even Holst.
Strangely enough,even though Bax wasn't inspired by Wales,I always find his music evokes very powerful images in my mind of Welsh land and seascapes;also,unsurprisingly,Welsh legends and Folklore. Even more so than any Welsh composer I know of!!!! In fact,if I didn't know better,I could actually believe that some of his music,like,for example,the First and Second Symphonies was actually inspired by Welsh legends! But when you think about it;the two countries (Wales and Ireland) aren't exactly far from each other;and their histories are entwined. I often think that in terms of his Celtic affinities,inspiration and the images his music evokes,Bax could almost be a Welsh composer. If you enjoy Welsh foklore and mythology,Daniel Jones and Grace Williams are more abstract in their approach;even thoughthey use Welsh titles and names. The orchestral music from Holbrooke's Cauldron of Annwn cycle also evokes Welsh landscapes and myths (also,unsurprisingly!) which is probably why I actually quite like some of it. Of course,unlike Bax,he actually spent allot of time there, That said,there is nothing specifically Welsh about the music itself.
I wonder how much Celtic,or Cornish imagery or atmosphere I will find in Lloyd? Will his music evoke any imagey from my native land. I am not expecting it to sound specifically Celtic or Cornish,though?!!

cilgwyn

Got to wait for that cheque to clear first,though! ::) ;D

vandermolen

Well, I've discovered another excellent Cornish composer called Judith Bailey (born 1941) whose 'Havas - a period of Summer' is a very enjoyable, memorable, lyrical and approachable work, which I can't stop playing. And, guess what, the CD features music by George Lloyd too, his 'The Serf - Prelude to Act II', 'In Memoriam' which is very good, 'Le Pont Du Gard' and 'HMS Trinidad March' (this was the ship in which George Lloyd was blown up on in the Second World War).
I have been in contact with Judith Bailey who is ever so nice and sent me a CD of her chamber music which features a very poignant work called 'Light' written after the death of her partner - I find it very moving:
[asin]B00NF3C9X0[/asin]
Hoddinott's 'Welsh Dances' sound very Welsh to me  8)
[asin]B002BZRH9E[/asin]
I like the music of Grace Williams (especially Symphony 2 on Lyrita - influenced by her teacher Vaughan Williams) and Daniel Jones and William Matthias; especially his Symphony 1.

I'm going to Cornwall on holiday in a few weeks and must visit the beautiful 'Gurnard's Head' where GL is pictured in a photo by his wife on the front cover of Symphony 8.
[asin]B0000049QM[/asin]
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

cilgwyn

Oh,don't tell me that! Temptation,remember?! I WILL make a note of it,though,for future reference,as they say. It sounds very interesting.Also,judging by the two cds of theirs I own,Em are a beautifully produced label. The booklet with my Em cd of Violin & Viola Sonatas by Bantock,Holbrooke & Coke,is a model of it's kind.There is a wonderful photo of the trio standing below Harlech Castle (c1919) near the front.Bantock in a white suit and Scott and Holbrooke looking very dandy. The latter with a cane,trying to look the aloof artist. He'd be frothing at the mouth at the level of interest here!! Sacheverell Coke,nearing the end of his life,sitting in the concert hall that his mum has built for him in their decaying pile,in front of his grand piano,with one of the cigarettes that eventually killed him. There is a better reproduction and some more interesting photos of the Coke's in the Somm cd booklet,though!
The nearest I get to Cornwall is Radio Cornwall,which I sometimes listen on MW,particularly the phone in,during the day. Being a fan of retro technology I listen on MW. Cuts to the BBC budget may put an end to that before long as the ageing AM transmitters are considered expensive to replace. I also have some books on Cornish folklore. They're our Celtic brethren here,of course. Although,they haven't got into devolution yet! ??? ;D
I like Daniel Jones,Grace Williams and William Mathias. I agree that his First symphony is the best of the bunch,but I rather like the Second;and the third is pretty good. The first really packs a punch though. It's full of energy and not a note too long. I notice there is an earlier recording coupled with Joubert (I think?). How does this compare with the Nimbus recording. This earlier recording is the one that would have been in the libraries,on Lp,I presume?!
I'm not so keen on Hoddinott,so far. Not that I dislike his music. It just doesn't stay with me and there's less warmth. David Wynne was another prolific Welsh composer. His music gets some praise on the internet somewhere and I was curious to hear him. Unfortunately the few examples I have heard via the AMF forum have disappointed me,so far,anyway! Lyrita are supposed to be releasing a recording of a recent performance of Grace Williams' Missa Cambrensis before long. About time,too!
Great photo of Lloyd on the cover of that cd of his eighth. My Lyrita set has the Miss Marples shot on the front,of course!! ;D Were the Downes recordings ever released individually,on cd? Releases of the Lloyd recordings are so confusing. There seem to be multiple recordings on different labels of the same recordings!!!
Incidentally,the German seller I was moaning about has unexpectedly and very graciously refunded me. I don't have to return it! I won't name them;but their name sounds like a certain extinct,flightless bird (Hope that bodes well!). Just saying,because I like to be fair! They need to spruce up their linguistics dept if they want to sell overseas,though! It might help!! 
What I dread is the Seller who takes offence,ie "How dare you suggest that I would sell anything that would be in anything less than in Mint condition! Look at my ratings!" The worst one ever;a full page rant and a demand to "return the packaging for my inspection"!! >:( ;D

vandermolen

I don't think that the Lyritas, with Margaret Rutherford on the front, were ever issued individually on CD, although, of course, I have them individually on LP. I think that you'll have to get the Judith Bailey/George Lloyd CD - just sell your house or car to raise the funds. I agree that the EM CDs are beautifully produced and have several of them including Robin Milford's eloquent Violin Concerto. I recently bought a Dutton CD with his 'Darkling Thrush' (after Thomas Hardy). I first heard the poem on 'Thought for the Day' on BBC Radio 4, on my drive to work, when Richard Harries, the then Bishop of Oxford, read it out and I found it very moving. The Milford work is very touching. He had a tragic life as his only child was run over and killed as a little boy and Milford ultimately committed suicide. I think there is an unpublished symphony which I would love to hear. On that cheerful note I need to go to work. Oh, yes, I like that Joubert Symphony too. Oddly Lyrita issued it as a CD 'single' and then coupled with the Mathias - I have both.  ::)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

cilgwyn

;D I'll definitely put it on my list for future reference. I have just seen the Amazon reviews. One of them by someone you know. Well,I hope so?!! ;D Cinematic,eh?!! Very tempting! And so is George Lloyd's Eleventh,which I am listening to on headphones now. This is a fun listen. A bit of Shostakovich,to my ears in the opening pages,but then the familiar Lloyd fingerprints appeared. Exciting orchestration. I'm enjoying this. The Seventh Symphony has more arresting,memorable ideas,but the orchestration here is splendid,though. It 'tickles' the ears. I like what I'm hearing.

cilgwyn

Enjoyable as this,and viscerally exciting in places,that the Eleventh Symphony,undoubtedly, is;there's no doubt in my mind,that it lacks the truly memorable ideas and haunting atmosphere of the Seventh. I will need to listen to this more,of course,before I really make up my mind. But just think of the way the Seventh opens and ends;it's magical;it stays with you. Some great stuff here though. The drum beats in the finale,for example. Lloyd's orchestration is very spectacular in places. I will certainly want to listen to this again at some point.

vandermolen

Quote from: cilgwyn on June 14, 2016, 03:02:45 AM
;D I'll definitely put it on my list for future reference. I have just seen the Amazon reviews. One of them by someone you know. Well,I hope so?!! ;D Cinematic,eh?!! Very tempting! And so is George Lloyd's Eleventh,which I am listening to on headphones now. This is a fun listen. A bit of Shostakovich,to my ears in the opening pages,but then the familiar Lloyd fingerprints appeared. Exciting orchestration. I'm enjoying this. The Seventh Symphony has more arresting,memorable ideas,but the orchestration here is splendid,though. It 'tickles' the ears. I like what I'm hearing.
Writing from work now. If I'm sacked it will be your fault  :D
No.11 is great and is the one I have seen performed live, conducted by the Great Man itself. It is a bit like Shostakovich.
Yes, that Amazon review of 'Havas' etc is very profound and insightful  8). Judith Bailey also sent a copy to me without realising I already had it! Unfortunately I've already given it away to a music-loving friend otherwise I'd have been happy to send it to you as a freebie.

vandermolen

Quote from: cilgwyn on June 14, 2016, 03:43:01 AM
Enjoyable as this,and viscerally exciting in places,that the Eleventh Symphony,undoubtedly, is;there's no doubt in my mind,that it lacks the truly memorable ideas and haunting atmosphere of the Seventh. I will need to listen to this more,of course,before I really make up my mind. But just think of the way the Seventh opens and ends;it's magical;it stays with you. Some great stuff here though. The drum beats in the finale,for example. Lloyd's orchestration is very spectacular in places. I will certainly want to listen to this again at some point.
My brother came with me to the concert featuring Symphony 11 and did not find it at all memorable. I especially like the final movement, which I think are often the best (Symphony 4 comes to mind also).

cilgwyn

There's allot of fabulous orchestration here. I have no complaints about what I'm listening to here! ;D I hate comparisons,anyway! I like the epic scale of it,and the sound engineering is truly spectacular. Allot of the music does bring to mind cinematic blockbusters;but not Luke Skywalker,specifically,this time! The quieter moments are even more spectacular in their own way. There's even a sequence in the first movement that evokes VW's Sinfonia Antartica,or more appropriately,those Arctic Convoys,perhaps? I think this one will grow on me.

vandermolen

Quote from: cilgwyn on June 14, 2016, 05:21:29 AM
There's allot of fabulous orchestration here. I have no complaints about what I'm listening to here! ;D I hate comparisons,anyway! I like the epic scale of it,and the sound engineering is truly spectacular. Allot of the music does bring to mind cinematic blockbusters;but not Luke Skywalker,specifically,this time! The quieter moments are even more spectacular in their own way. There's even a sequence in the first movement that evokes VW's Sinfonia Antartica,or more appropriately,those Arctic Convoys,perhaps? I think this one will grow on me.
I can see that I will have to listen to Symphony 11 tonight.

vandermolen

Just listening to Symphony 8 (Albany/Lloyd) and had forgotten just how good it is. If anything it is better or at least as good as the Lyrita recording. The photo on the front is of the composer at Zennor Head, Cornwall and not Gurnard's Head as I said above. I remember that when interest in Lloyd revived in the 1980s a critic described his music as being like a cross between (film composer) 'Ron Goodwin and Sibelius' I see what he means but I think that this is to do Lloyd an injustice.

cilgwyn

Yes,I can see what that critic meant about Ron Goodwin. It is very 'filmic' at times (often!) but in a good way. Anyway,Ron Goodwin didn't compose symphonies as far as I know. I think he's the 633 Squadron bloke,isn't he? I actually,quite like that one! Ba-Ba-Ba-Ba-Ba-Ba-Dee-Daaa!! ;D I haven't seen the film! Of course,it's supposed to be disparaging,I suppose. But the Seventh and Eleventh are packed with genuinely imaginative ideas and superb orchestration;and it's not just empty bombast,either. I listened to the Eleventh Symphony yesterday (as you know! ;D) and there was allot of powerful writing there,allot of emotion. No,it's not Mahler,but it's not shallow technicolor,either. One of the things I like about the music I've heard so far is Lloyd is not afraid of letting us know what he's feeling. He's less unbuttoned in this sense,less stiff upper lip than allot of British composers.
It also struck me that if you enjoy the colourful,cinematic blockbusters of the likes of Korgold and Dohnanyi,Lloyd is going to be high on your list;and possibly the closest to a British equivalent. In brief.....great stuff!! ;D

cilgwyn

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/633_Squadron

Yes,that figures! Great stuff!! ??? ;D

DAKA-DAKA-DAKA! Eeeeeee-yooow! (imitates aeroplane)

cilgwyn

Seriously,I think I'll skip that one!! ::)

vandermolen

I have that Ron Goodwin CD of course, with my collection of Chandos film music. No one should miss 'Odd Man Out' by William Alwyn, a truly symphonic score featuring a marvellous doomed processional reminiscent of the 'Road to Calvary' from Miklos Rosza's score for 'Ben Hur'. I recall a critic saying that '633 Squadron' featured the greatest horn theme since Mozart. Lloyd's 11th symphony scheduled for later today.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: vandermolen on June 15, 2016, 05:17:49 AMI recall a critic saying that '633 Squadron' featured the greatest horn theme since Mozart.

One of my favorite movie themes.

https://www.youtube.com/v/XWXQUhBsUVM

The film itself: unoriginal plot, mediocre acting but spectacular flight scenes, employing actual Mosquitos.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

cilgwyn

Quote from: cilgwyn on June 15, 2016, 04:16:55 AM
Seriously,I think I'll skip that one!! ::)
Only because I'd want to buy more! ;D Their Brian Easdale cd has been on my radar for a long time;and the there's the Moby Dick soundtrack you've recommended,more than once!
One film collection I do have is of Bernard Herrmann. It's on Decca Eloquence and includes music from his sc-fi and fantasy scores. I love fifties sci-fi and Journey to the Centre (or Center) as they say,with James Mason is one of my all time favourite movies. I loved it as a kid,and love is a BIG,or BIGG-ISH kid! ::) ;D I did have the Chandos Malcolm Arnold album. I should have kept that one. Whistle down the Wind is a lovely tune,and Bridge on the River Kwai,with Colonel Bogey is foot tapping,toothbrush waving stuff! Another one that sticks in the mind is his use of 'This old man' in the Inn of the Sixth Happiness. I've got the MGM soundtrack to Kiss me Kate somewhere,too. But,that's a little different,of course!
Odd man Out is a very good film. Grim,though!

vandermolen

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on June 15, 2016, 05:32:44 AM
One of my favorite movie themes.

https://www.youtube.com/v/XWXQUhBsUVM

The film itself: unoriginal plot, mediocre acting but spectacular flight scenes, employing actual Mosquitos.

Sarge
I agree and my dad flew in the Mosquitos during the War (Coastal Command navigator).

cilgwyn

Do you think I should put that Ron Grainger cd on my list?!! :-\ And how does the rest of the cd measure up to the famous tune? I'll have a look at the movie next time it's on. Just to listen to the tune and watch the planes in action. Maybe not the whole way through? I have watched Where Eagles dare,and,indeed,read the book a long,long time ago. So that's Ron Grainger,too!
Hope you're enjoying George Lloyd's Eleventh,now,Vandermolen!

Ron Goodwin!!Where's that Gingko Biloba?!!! ::)