George Lloyd

Started by Thom, April 14, 2007, 12:37:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

Quote from: cilgwyn on June 15, 2016, 09:45:47 AM
Do you think I should put that Ron Grainger cd on my list?!! :-\ And how does the rest of the cd measure up to the famous tune? I'll have a look at the movie next time it's on. Just to listen to the tune and watch the planes in action. Maybe not the whole way through? I have watched Where Eagles dare,and,indeed,read the book a long,long time ago. So that's Ron Grainger,too!
Hope you're enjoying George Lloyd's Eleventh,now,Vandermolen!

Ron Goodwin!!Where's that Gingko Biloba?!!! ::)
Hehe
Well, I like the Battle of Britain music and Where Eagles Dare ('Broadsword calling Danny boy...Broadsword calling Danny boy etc.......)
Of course there was a big hoohaa when Walton's score for Battle of Britain was replaced by the Ron Goodwin score apart from the fine 'Battle in the Air' sequence. So, I'd get the CD along with the Judith Bailey  8). Lloyd's 11th going on now.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Symphony 11 is immensely enjoyable. Maybe not the greatest (4,7,12?) but I rate it along with No.8 and 5 (which I have not heard in a long time) as very fine. It is like a film score and reminded me at times of William Alwyn's First Symphony (do you know it?), which I enjoy very much. Id forgotten that it is in five movements. The first of which is rather Khachaturian-like in its percussive effect. The slow movement rises to a powerful climax and the finale has a great stay-in-your-head tune which conveys, to me at least, an affirmative sense of home-coming. Altogether an immensely enjoyable work.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Have just listened to Symphony 7 twice. It is a beautiful, eloquent and reflect score which, unusually for Lloyd, ends quietly. It now ranks as my favourite alongside No.4 and is a more dreamy and atmospheric work, as appropriate for its roots in the myth of Proserpine.

cilgwyn

Can't wait to hear No 4!! :)

vandermolen

Quote from: cilgwyn on June 16, 2016, 10:59:22 AM
Very different to No.7 but in view of Lloyd's personal history (ship he was on sunk in World War Two - decades of neglect) I find it very moving.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: cilgwyn on June 16, 2016, 10:59:22 AM

It's stunning. 4, 5, 7 and 12 keep rotating, vying for "Best of Lloyd".

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

vandermolen

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on June 16, 2016, 11:18:13 AM

Sarge
All great Sarge though ages since I've heard No.5. His ship HMS Trinidad was torpedoed in World War Two and he witnessed many of his friends drown and nearly died himself. Decades later he witnessed the immediate aftermath of bandsman ( he was a bandsman in the army) being blown up in London by the IRA with their horses which brought his whole World War Two experiences back to him. For decades he couldn't compose and developed a market garden business growing carnations (quite successfully I think) with the loving support of his wife. Slowly, he returned to composing. In this context I find Symphony 4 with its echoes of the sea and triumph against the odds incredibly moving.

cilgwyn

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on June 16, 2016, 11:18:13 AM

Sarge
You're a fan of No 5,Sarge? I remember it made an impression on me,when I heard it on the radio back in the eighties. I think I recorded it off air on cassette twice. I still have a cassette deck,but the tapes long gone (chewed up). I remember it had some lovely music. I'll have the Downes cds soon,hopefully?!

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: cilgwyn on June 17, 2016, 12:05:47 PM
You're a fan of No 5,Sarge?

I am a fan. It's chock full of the things we love about Lloyd: the cinematic splendor, the great and memorable melodies, the brilliant orchestration. The Symphony opens with what sounds like an English film set in a picturesque country village but with a disturbing undercurrent, hinting at dark secrets (a Miss Marple mystery?  :D ). The Corale movement has more Star Wars-like themes, along with a Mahlerian funeral march that also has a hint of Kurt Weil. There's a beautiful bel canto outburst in the Lamento fourth movement and the Symphony has one of his most satisfying endings, a climactic brass and percussion triumph. I think you'll enjoy it.

Sarge

vandermolen

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on June 17, 2016, 01:26:39 PM
I am a fan. It's chock full of the things we love about Lloyd: the cinematic splendor, the great and memorable melodies, the brilliant orchestration. The Symphony opens with what sounds like an English film set in a picturesque country village but with a disturbing undercurrent, hinting at dark secrets (a Miss Marple mystery?  :D ). The Corale movement has more Star Wars-like themes, along with a Mahlerian funeral march that also has a hint of Kurt Weil. There's a splendid bel canto outburst in the Lamento fourth movement and the Symphony has one of his most satisfying endings, a climactic brass and percussion triumph. I think you'll enjoy it.

Sarge
Right. Must find my copy! Thanks Sarge.

cilgwyn

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on June 17, 2016, 01:26:39 PM
I am a fan. It's chock full of the things we love about Lloyd: the cinematic splendor, the great and memorable melodies, the brilliant orchestration. The Symphony opens with what sounds like an English film set in a picturesque country village but with a disturbing undercurrent, hinting at dark secrets (a Miss Marple mystery?  :D ). The Corale movement has more Star Wars-like themes, along with a Mahlerian funeral march that also has a hint of Kurt Weil. There's a beautiful bel canto outburst in the Lamento fourth movement and the Symphony has one of his most satisfying endings, a climactic brass and percussion triumph. I think you'll enjoy it.

Sarge
Star Wars like themes. Right,that does it for me. Although,I hasten to add;I'm not a Star Wars fan! I'M A Fifties Sci-fi Man,in the main. John Williams,at his best though,is fun! I think I even had a cd,or tape,once?
Got any John Williams (the Composer) cds,Vandermolen? (Sarge?). Come on,own up!! ;D

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: cilgwyn on June 19, 2016, 01:58:29 AM
Got any John Williams (the Composer) cds,Vandermolen? (Sarge?). Come on,own up!! ;D

Yeah I have some John Williams in my collection (list copied from my CD data base):

WILLIAMS   SUPERMAN   WILLIAMS/LSO
WILLIAMS   STAR WARS (ORIGINAL 2-CD BOX) WILLIAMS/LSO
WILLIAMS   STAR WARS: A NEW HOPE  (SPECIAL EDITION) WILLIAMS/LSO
WILLIAMS   THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK   GERHARDT/NATIONAL PO
WILLIAMS   THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK (SPECIAL EDITION) WILLIAMS/LSO
WILLIAMS   RETURN OF THE JEDI   WILLIAMS/LSO
WILLIAMS   STAR WARS: EPISODE I: THE PHANTOM MENACE WILLIAMS/LSO
WILLIAMS   STAR WARS: EPISODE II: ATTACK OF THE CLONES WILLIAMS/LSO
WILLIAMS   JURASSIC PARK
WILLIAMS   HARRY POTTER AND THE PHILOSOPHER'S STONE   
WILLIAMS   HOOK   
WILLIAMS   THE REIVERS WILLIAMS/BOSTON POPS
WILLIAMS   BORN ON THE FOURTH OF JULY SUITE WILLIAMS/BOSTON POPS
WILLIAMS   THE COWBOYS OVERTURE WILLIAMS/BOSTON POPS
WILLIAMS   LIBERTY FANFARE KUNZEL/CINCINNATI POPS
WILLIAMS   TUBA CONCERTO    SNELL/FOUNDATION PHILHARMONIC O

Sarge

cilgwyn

Just a couple,Sarge! ;D I can see why you like George Lloyd! As i said,I'm not a Star Wars fan,but I think I'd have to be a curmudgeon not to enjoy John Williams at his best.

vandermolen

Quote from: cilgwyn on June 19, 2016, 01:58:29 AM
Star Wars like themes. Right,that does it for me. Although,I hasten to add;I'm not a Star Wars fan! I'M A Fifties Sci-fi Man,in the main. John Williams,at his best though,is fun! I think I even had a cd,or tape,once?
I have a number of Star Wars compilations and soundtracks including old and new versions of 'Return of the Jedi' (my favourite) also Schindler's List and War Horse - not so keen on the latter although opening is like Vaughan Williams. LP of ET soundtrack I think. Jaws soundtrack. The Reivers, Born of the Fourth of July (With Copland's 'Red Pony'). Saving Private Ryan, Seven Years in Tibet. I especially like Saving Private Ryan, apart from 'Hymn to the Fallen' which, to me, sounds corny. Bernard Herrmann was better at this kind of thing. Satisfied?  8)

cilgwyn

While listening to George Lloyd's Eleventh again today,I thought i recognised a brief tune. It didn't last long;but I may be mistaken (shurely some mistake ed,as Private Eye would say) but I was convinced it was Tara's theme from Gone with the Wind. A film which,incidentally (and apologies here to anyone who loves it) bores me stiff!! The resemblance is only brief,,however,and I don't think the George Lloyd 'estate' have anything to worry about. At least not any more than John Williams,who according to one critic at the time of the Proms premiere,cribbed his famous theme motif from the opening of Havergal Brian's Gothic!! ???
I'm also pleased to note that at not one point during George Lloyd's Eleventh did I detect anything that remotely resembled the theme from Neighbours!!

vandermolen

Quote from: cilgwyn on June 19, 2016, 01:20:52 PM
While listening to George Lloyd's Eleventh again today,I thought i recognised a brief tune. It didn't last long;but I may be mistaken (shurely some mistake ed,as Private Eye would say) but I was convinced it was Tara's theme from Gone with the Wind. A film which,incidentally (and apologies here to anyone who loves it) bores me stiff!! The resemblance is only brief,,however,and I don't think the George Lloyd 'estate' have anything to worry about. At least not any more than John Williams,who according to one critic at the time of the Proms premiere,cribbed his famous theme motif from the opening of Havergal Brian's Gothic!! ???
I'm also pleased to note that at not one point during George Lloyd's Eleventh did I detect anything that remotely resembled the theme from Neighbours!!
Oddly enough I'm listening to George Lloyd's 11th Symphony now. There is also an interesting thematic link between Prokofiev's 'March' from 'Love of Three Oranges' and 'March of the Ewoks' or is it 'Parade of the Ewoks' from 'Star Wars - Return of the Jedi'.

cilgwyn

I thought you had the Albany Fifth,Vandermolen (Must read back through your posts!)?!

cilgwyn

The 3cd Lyrita set of Lloyd's Symphonies 4,5 & 8 has just arrived. The old syle fat box jewel case,with Margaret Rutherford on the front is still in shrinkwrap as I type this post. It took a bit longer,because Ye Olde Cheque had to clear!! 8)

Now to remove the plastic.......fingers tremblings with anticipation and,erm.....the after effects of lager!!! ::)

vandermolen

Quote from: cilgwyn on July 02, 2016, 01:23:36 AM
The 3cd Lyrita set of Lloyd's Symphonies 4,5 & 8 has just arrived. The old syle fat box jewel case,with Margaret Rutherford on the front is still in shrinkwrap as I type this post. It took a bit longer,because Ye Olde Cheque had to clear!! 8)

Now to remove the plastic.......fingers tremblings with anticipation and,erm.....the after effects of lager!!! ::)

Don't snap the plastic hinges off in your excitement.  8)

vandermolen

Quote from: cilgwyn on June 22, 2016, 09:52:38 AM
I thought you had the Albany Fifth,Vandermolen (Must read back through your posts!)?!
I do have it now but think that I only had the Lyrita before - but who knows?