Computer monitors

Started by XB-70 Valkyrie, March 29, 2020, 07:09:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

XB-70 Valkyrie

Want to get a new 27". There are certainly larger ones, but I had a 30" at work for years and I actually got tired of it because it seemed too big. It was tiresome to have to move my head to see all of it, and seemed a relief to come home to a smaller one. (My current work one is 27" and it is just right for me)

I will not lay out $2k for an Eizo or whatever, but will get some type of monitor calibration system because I am a photographer and this is important in printing. I want to keep this to $ 500 or less. It has been a while since I've been in the monitor-buying-comparing game and I have lost track of all the new technologies (LED, backlit, in-plane swiching, etc.) I want:

-large gamut

-flat, not curved (But am curious as to opinions about curved panels)

-not entirely sure about aspect ratio, but 16:9 seems about right

-something easy on the eyes, because I get eyestrain, BUTT I do NOT want any filtering of blue or any other wavelengths, as I need the most accurate representation of colors in my images possible.

Any recommendations, or suggestions for primers on this topic so I can get back up to speed? ? Thx.

If you really dislike Bach you keep quiet about it! - Andras Schiff

drogulus

Quote from: XB-70 Valkyrie on March 29, 2020, 07:09:06 PM
Want to get a new 27". There are certainly larger ones, but I had a 30" at work for years and I actually got tired of it because it seemed too big. It was tiresome to have to move my head to see all of it, and seemed a relief to come home to a smaller one. (My current work one is 27" and it is just right for me)

I will not lay out $2k for an Eizo or whatever, but will get some type of monitor calibration system because I am a photographer and this is important in printing. I want to keep this to $ 500 or less. It has been a while since I've been in the monitor-buying-comparing game and I have lost track of all the new technologies (LED, backlit, in-plane swiching, etc.) I want:

-large gamut

-flat, not curved (But am curious as to opinions about curved panels)

-not entirely sure about aspect ratio, but 16:9 seems about right

-something easy on the eyes, because I get eyestrain, BUTT I do NOT want any filtering of blue or any other wavelengths, as I need the most accurate representation of colors in my images possible.

Any recommendations, or suggestions for primers on this topic so I can get back up to speed? ? Thx.

I've used a Dell 16:10 monitor for more than 10 years, and if I need a new one I'll try to get another one like that, a 1920x1200. As far as I'm concerned 16x9 is unsuitable for most uses.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

Ratliff

Mine is a 27" iMac, 5120x2880. Very nice, not available separately.

For a PC, I've always liked Viewsonic. The nicest one I have is a 24" VX2475SMHL-4K, 3840x2160, no longer available.