edward's experiments

Started by not edward, April 01, 2020, 10:53:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

not edward

An experiment in (post-)minimalist music: https://soundcloud.com/user-779564344/water

Definitely a draft rather than the finished product, but the general shape of the work is as intended (and please forgive Sibelius's unidiomatic playing).
"I don't at all mind actively disliking a piece of contemporary music, but in order to feel happy about it I must consciously understand why I dislike it. Otherwise it remains in my mind as unfinished business."
-- Aaron Copland, The Pleasures of Music

steve ridgway

That works very well, (non-boring) minimalist music I could listen to all the way through. There are interesting contrasts between the different registers, speeds and rhythms evoking the drops, trickles, runs and echoing pools like the sounds of flowing water that form some sort of pattern you can't quite put your finger on. The various sections also gave it more variety and the harp like use of the piano strings was a nice touch.

Mahlerian

It sounds a bit more like a Ligeti etude, especially at the beginning, don't you think? Thanks for sharing.
"l do not consider my music as atonal, but rather as non-tonal. I feel the unity of all keys. Atonal music by modern composers admits of no key at all, no feeling of any definite center." - Arnold Schoenberg

Rinaldo

This actually eased the lingering headache that's been following me today. Very enjoyable and intriguing, the initial illusion of a continuous descent is brilliant. And when the flow slows to a halt around the 12 minute mark.. love it.

After Water ended, Toccata started playing automatically and I think you've got yourself a new fan, mister!

Uhor

Great work! I could feel the bubbles.

Alek Hidell

Haven't listened to the piece yet, but I just want to exult in the fact that edward is back! Welcome back, sir!
"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist." - Hélder Pessoa Câmara

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot