The Music Room > Great Recordings and Reviews

Naxos American Classics

(1/7) > >>

vers la flamme:
I really enjoy the "American Classics" series on Naxos. It's pretty much what one would expect, classical music from American composers, but they cover a lot of ground: from Cage, Carter & Feldman, to Copland, Gershwin, & Bernstein, to dozens of lesser known composers. All those I've heard are great.

That being said, I don't have very many of them. In an effort to explore more American music, I was wondering if anyone here wanted to share some of their favorites in the Naxos "American Classics" series.

As for me, I really like the Marin Alsop Bernstein discs that I have: Symphonies 1 & 2, & Chichester Psalms. I also really like Alsop's Samuel Barber symphonies disc. I recently got Cage's Sonatas & Interludes w/ Boris Berman. Looking forward to exploring that.

Anyone been listening to any entries in this series lately?

JBS:
I am not sure if they are officially part of the American Classics series, but the Pacifica Quartet recordings of Carter's String Quartets almost rate a "must have".

You seem to have said you only have one CD of Alsop's Barber recordings. If that is so, I urge you to get the rest.

There are Naxos  sets of William Schuman's symphonies and Ned Rorem's works conducted by Jose Serebrier. I am not sure about their availability, but  I would suggest those are worth checking into.

[That said, my chief attraction to Naxos is their issues of living composers. I find it to be a good way of finding out if I like them.

André:
Also, Hovhanness, Diamond, Creston, Piston. The classics  8)

MusicTurner:
I've collected a good deal of Schuman, Rochberg, Hovhaness, Wuorinen, Cowell and Carter in particular. Also a few others, such as Crawford-Seeger, Gloria Coates orchestral (skipped the quartets), Schwantner (Distant Runes), Copland, Cage (S&I), etc.

I think I should go for supplementary Piston and Diamond in particular, if I want more.

JBS:

--- Quote from: MusicTurner on April 04, 2020, 05:26:01 PM ---I've collected a good deal of Schuman, Rochberg, Hovhaness, Wuorinen, Cowell and Carter in particular. Also a few others, such as Crawford-Seeger, Gloria Coates orchestral (skipped the quartets), Schwantner (Distant Runes), Copland etc.
I think I should go for supplementary Piston and Diamond in particular, if I want more.

--- End quote ---

Re Coates: yes to her stuff, including her chamber works. Although she's one of the "living composers" I was referring to, that's why I didn't specify her.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version