Help me with playlist for my daughters

Started by marcospt, April 05, 2020, 02:01:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marcospt

Hello there! :-)

I love classical music, but also Jazz and alternative Rock. Regarding classical, my preferences are mainly for 19th to 20th century music, such as Ravel, Debussy, Stravinsky and more recent composers like Benjamin Britten. I focused mainly on pianist work, since I also dedicated a lot of my listening time to other musical genres.

I want do create a playlist for my 2 daughters (3 and 6 years old) that focus on orchestral/shymphonic or string work. I would appreciate some less obvious choices that strike some interesting harmonies while being more on the relaxing side. Don't flame me but I don't like Mozart or Vivaldi for ex.

Here's a little gem I love that will make the list, so that you can have a clue of the vibe I'm looking for:

BRITTEN - VARIATIONS ON A THEME OF FRANK BRIDGE, OP. 10: IV. ROMANCE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqR9ykU4Xcw

Appreciate your suggestions :-)

Jo498

Ravel: ma mère l'oye, maybe also Rhapsodie espagnole or even the string quartet, Pavane
Debussy: Childrens corner (there are orchestral/chamber arrangements)
Dukas: Sorcerer's apprentice
Grieg: Peer Gynt Suites, From Holberg's time
Dvorak: string serenade, wind serenade, Slavonic dances, 8th and 9th symphony
Brahms: hungarian dances
Tschaikovsky: Balletts (excerpts/suites), String serenade, Capriccio italien, Marche slave, Polonaise and Waltz from Onegin
Prokofieff: Symphonie Classique, Peter and the Wolf (of course)
Bizet: Arlesienne and Carmen suites

more generally, lots of colorful dance-like or melodic/folklike music goes well with children. I mentioned whole works but recommend to check them out and maybe at first pick only single movements that you deem most appropriate
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

marcospt

Biffo

Quote from: marcospt on April 05, 2020, 02:01:54 PM
Hello there! :-)

I love classical music, but also Jazz and alternative Rock. Regarding classical, my preferences are mainly for 19th to 20th century music, such as Ravel, Debussy, Stravinsky and more recent composers like Benjamin Britten. I focused mainly on pianist work, since I also dedicated a lot of my listening time to other musical genres.

I want do create a playlist for my 2 daughters (3 and 6 years old) that focus on orchestral/shymphonic or string work. I would appreciate some less obvious choices that strike some interesting harmonies while being more on the relaxing side. Don't flame me but I don't like Mozart or Vivaldi for ex.

Here's a little gem I love that will make the list, so that you can have a clue of the vibe I'm looking for:

BRITTEN - VARIATIONS ON A THEME OF FRANK BRIDGE, OP. 10: IV. ROMANCE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqR9ykU4Xcw

Appreciate your suggestions :-)

You could also try Britten's Simple Symphony

vandermolen

Definitely Ravel's charming 'Mother Goose Suite'.
Alfven: Swedish Rhapsody No.1
Rimsky Korsakov: Christmas Eve Suite
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).