Author Topic: Aminor String Quartet  (Read 158 times)

Offline clasicompose

Aminor String Quartet
« on: April 08, 2020, 11:05:45 PM »
Hi, I wrote a quartet of four short movements. I want to know your thoughts and criticism.

https://youtu.be/UsCuzshg2lc

Offline krummholz

• Vagn Holmboe (1909-1996)
Re: Aminor String Quartet
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2020, 04:35:38 PM »
Is it a minor quartet, or a quartet in A minor? It is clearly in A minor, of course, so I'll give you the same advice that was given to me on a different board: don't call it "A minor quartet" or even "Aminor quartet"! Someone might get the wrong impression.

As to the music, it shows promise. You have a gift for maintaining interest by varying the rhythm and texture and developing short motives without any modulation or even so much as a single accidental, as far as I could tell. There were places that I felt the phrasing was awkward, and all of the movements just ended unexpectedly without any preparation - I'm guessing that was intentional though.

I guess I don't have too much to say about it. The work is very easy on the ear, the ideas are attractive and the piece held my interest.

Offline clasicompose

Re: Aminor String Quartet
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2020, 09:41:29 AM »
Is it a minor quartet, or a quartet in A minor? It is clearly in A minor, of course, so I'll give you the same advice that was given to me on a different board: don't call it "A minor quartet" or even "Aminor quartet"! Someone might get the wrong impression.

As to the music, it shows promise. You have a gift for maintaining interest by varying the rhythm and texture and developing short motives without any modulation or even so much as a single accidental, as far as I could tell. There were places that I felt the phrasing was awkward, and all of the movements just ended unexpectedly without any preparation - I'm guessing that was intentional though.

I guess I don't have too much to say about it. The work is very easy on the ear, the ideas are attractive and the piece held my interest.

Thank you for your listening and good words. my intent was to be simple, short and melodic.