Neurotyping system

Started by greg, April 16, 2020, 06:34:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

greg

So of all the people to make some crazy thing like this, it's this guy on youtube who talks about anime for a living:

Here's a brief explanation:

https://i.redd.it/oa17w4j804t41.jpg

For anyone interested, full video explanation:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSyGye7D2ao

For anime fans, this is the master chart of where people think that anime characters would fall:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1bZs0mqADjToj89-YgO9cnUS8hNjXV5OZ

I think I would probably be in the newtype category- what is crazy is how he said that a coder could create something intuitively to solve a novel problem, but not even be able to explain it, and that's actually happened to me at work!

(sadly, there is no self-test yet, but you can probably give a good estimate if you are self-aware enough)

Which type do you think you fall in? Wondering how drogulus or 71db would fit in here, pretty sure they'd be in some corner area.
(btw, Trump apparently is an anime character also, and was listed under "Pure Instinct" type  ;D)
Wagie wagie get back in the cagie

greg

After thinking about this the last hour,

Me: Fascinator

71db: Human Calculator... (this corner of the quadrant is basically regarded as the Asperger area, I could have a misunderstanding about this but seems maybe correct, lateral thinking but always expressable in language). The thing he says about this type is that they tend to have a good understanding of the world but narrow down so much that they live in their own little bubble and have frustrations with others not quite understanding them- sounds familiar to me.

drogulus: Newtype... incomprehensible posts that are as abstract as it gets, so is the only reason why I thought I could shift my own x-axis by one to the left. At least I can write posts that others can understand, though I'll admit it takes some effort. Part of the difficulty, also, is that lateral thinking will trip me up when I picture the next three responses to my posts. You need to watch Serial Experiments Lain;)

Note that this is NOT related to personality or IQ, it's about how one naturally thinks.

A better video explanation he does here, though at the same time I wouldn't recommend it to most people because it's extremely long and uses anime characters as examples- but still highly detailed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1ndTCR4aKg

He types himself as "Quick-witted," which I agree with. The joke is that he's semi-autistic (developing this system, for example lol), but he's better at putting words to things than I am, for example (that area is also next to Human Calculator, too).

Holden

Are we talking about the Braverman Test here?
Cheers

Holden

greg

Nope, I had googled it and saw that Braverman seems to be suggesting which chemicals are being used in the brain or something.

This new system just happens to have the same name- no guessing anything about chemicals or anything.

greg

I like this attempt... No idea how accurate it is. But would be amazing if you can draw some conclusions like "oh, I'm newtype so it means an overactive limbic system."

For top left it's obvious Elon Musk is the perfect example. When he was a kid, he complained about his hyperactive brain and himself and others thought he might be insane. But what part of the brain? Must be the neo-cortex. The amount of thought is the lateral thinking and the concrete/practical/real world stuff he is focused on is indicative of most likely lexical thinking.

Also: Correcting my previous guess- I think drogulus would fit at the top left, actually. It's more hyperlexical (I must be confusing decipherability and clarity).

Extreme upper right hand would be snyprr or deprofundis... their posts are abstract as hell and jump around constantly. I think using ellipsis is also a good indicator of this. I'm very very close to writing this way, always editing and rereading my posts so they could be understood.

I think:

Top left-autism/aspergers
Top right-schizo-
Bottom left-OCD
Bottom right-ASPD

Are the potential extremities.

greg

It says reddit but could also be for GMG.  ;D

greg

So someone made a brief quiz, and I got Newtype, which is exactly what I guessed!
(lateral: 80%, impressionist 85%)

Maybe it's an okay starting point, it's only a few questions and still relies on a lot of self-awareness.

But I really would like it if someone else took it as well and let me know their results...
https://editor.p5js.org/tfroman/present/5PK0Mlv4E

Henk

Could be all of them, but analyst would be closest to how I live.
'Being humble and wise is knowing not being wise.'

Henk

Maybe newtype is not my thing.

Mahlerian

Quote from: greg on April 26, 2020, 07:41:55 PM
So someone made a brief quiz, and I got Newtype, which is exactly what I guessed!
(lateral: 80%, impressionist 85%)

Maybe it's an okay starting point, it's only a few questions and still relies on a lot of self-awareness.

But I really would like it if someone else took it as well and let me know their results...
https://editor.p5js.org/tfroman/present/5PK0Mlv4E

I got Overseer: Lateral 65%, Impressionist 55%. Not sure exactly what that's supposed to prove.
"l do not consider my music as atonal, but rather as non-tonal. I feel the unity of all keys. Atonal music by modern composers admits of no key at all, no feeling of any definite center." - Arnold Schoenberg

71 dB

Quote from: Mahlerian on April 27, 2020, 07:19:19 AM
I got Overseer: Lateral 65%, Impressionist 55%. Not sure exactly what that's supposed to prove.

It's not supposed to "prove" anything. The website can now sell your data. That's the point.
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

greg

Quote from: 71 dB on April 27, 2020, 07:39:09 AM
It's not supposed to "prove" anything. The website can now sell your data. That's the point.
Not sure where you are getting that idea from. The original link was created by a member of the subreddit for neurotyping, just as a small attempt to try and create a self-test for this idea. And it's an entirely anonymous test...

Quote from: Mahlerian on April 27, 2020, 07:19:19 AM
Cool. I don't think it's trying to prove anything, just trying to give people an idea of where they may fall on the chart.

And the chart itself is probably best understood using examples and archetypes to back up the concepts. So in the subreddit there are a lot of posts of examples, so it's something someone compare themselves to- like, oh, my thought process might be similar to that person or character since we are in the same area of the chart.

Quote from: Henk on April 27, 2020, 07:09:39 AM
Could be all of them, but analyst would be closest to how I live.
Nicely said- that's basically how the system works. Anyone can be anything, but how you choose to live is going to largely be related to how you think. Imo it's more about natural tendencies.

I could see that type for you. Mostly it's obvious that you are a highly parallel thinker. For lexical vs. impressionist it might be a bit hard to tell sometimes just by reading other people's writing, but your writing is very clear, so that's why I would probably guess that you are moderately lexical.

There is an attempt to map this to brain regions... of course all of this can't be taken too seriously, but it is kinda cool if it does make some sense to connect these ideas together to make some sort of model.

I had some idea of a person being a tree, where the seed is the person's DNA, the soil is the upbringing/childhood development, the trunk is the regular brain processes that are used, and the branches are situational things that describes works in conjunction with the trunk to describe the outward behavior...

greg

Also, I had some theory about addiction and this concept.

My theory is that people who are highly lateral thinkers but do not have either a powerful enough IQ/working memory may be more likely to struggle with addiction. Just one factor but likely a big one.

I have heard many times that addicts are trying to drown out their overwhelming thought load. One example is a YouTuber, CG Kid, whose channel is about his past addictions to many different drugs. He thought about the cause of his addictive personality for many years and concluded that having the urge to do drugs even when things are going well is because it's a way to drown out his thoughts. Now, I don't know what his IQ is, so if it's high then it wouldn't make my theory look good. But if it's average then it just means that his highly lateral thinking is causing a lot of thoughts which may not be easily resolved, leading to constant stress.

Henk

Thought and memories should probably be swapped in the scheme. A mammal has no memory but does think.

But a nice scheme.

Henk

Other animals than mammals also can think probably. Like for example a crow. Maybe they rationalize, but they are smart so I guess they think.

Henk

Quote from: greg on April 27, 2020, 08:08:08 AM
Not sure where you are getting that idea from. The original link was created by a member of the subreddit for neurotyping, just as a small attempt to try and create a self-test for this idea. And it's an entirely anonymous test...

Cool. I don't think it's trying to prove anything, just trying to give people an idea of where they may fall on the chart.

And the chart itself is probably best understood using examples and archetypes to back up the concepts. So in the subreddit there are a lot of posts of examples, so it's something someone compare themselves to- like, oh, my thought process might be similar to that person or character since we are in the same area of the chart.

Nicely said- that's basically how the system works. Anyone can be anything, but how you choose to live is going to largely be related to how you think. Imo it's more about natural tendencies.

I could see that type for you. Mostly it's obvious that you are a highly parallel thinker. For lexical vs. impressionist it might be a bit hard to tell sometimes just by reading other people's writing, but your writing is very clear, so that's why I would probably guess that you are moderately lexical.

There is an attempt to map this to brain regions... of course all of this can't be taken too seriously, but it is kinda cool if it does make some sense to connect these ideas together to make some sort of model.

I had some idea of a person being a tree, where the seed is the person's DNA, the soil is the upbringing/childhood development, the trunk is the regular brain processes that are used, and the branches are situational things that describes works in conjunction with the trunk to describe the outward behavior...

You can't choose always how you want to live. Living is becoming. Becoming is about power. You can 'become who you are' and then all is well.

Henk

Curious about your model tho.

Henk

Quote from: Henk on April 27, 2020, 09:34:25 AM
You can't choose always how you want to live. Living is becoming. Becoming is about power. You can 'become who you are' and then all is well.

'Become who you are' can be called a concept. A concept is a 'power of becoming'. (Deleuze)

And according to Nietzsche we need to study physics to as well prescribe for us the law to become who you are.

That's something Deleuze doesn't know about it seems to me and why I feel closer to Nietzsche.

Henk

The reason I write this is that I read a quote by Foucault in which he says he likes 'Deleuze's Nietzsche' more than Nietzsche himself.

Probably this raises some agony inside me.

And often Deleuze isn't of much help. Foucault neither. And much of Guattari's writings has been digested and transformed by Deleuze probably.

Deleuze really is a bastard and son of a bitch but it's difficult to not appreciate his and his followers writings.

Deleuze didn't care about our planet. Guattari did, but isn't read probably because Deleuze made the impression of Guattari being his little helper.

Henk

Deleuze's book 'Critical and Clinical' is probably his best work.