Samuel Feinberg and the WTC

Started by XB-70 Valkyrie, August 10, 2007, 04:41:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

XB-70 Valkyrie

I just returned from Russia and bought many interesting CDs while I was there. Among these is a CD of Samuel Feinberg playing Bach, mostly his own transcriptions of Bach's organ pieces, but also some pieces originally written for clavier (harpsichord, what-have-you). I greatly enjoy his lyrical, insightful performances, which are decidedly non-HIP!

upon searching for more of his recordings on Amazon, I found that he recorded the WTC. Unfortunately it is over $100. Is anyone aware of any other options for acquiring this? Any comments on the performances?
If you really dislike Bach you keep quiet about it! - Andras Schiff

PSmith08

You can get a DRM-laden, 128 kbps AAC download off the iTunes Music Store for $30. (WTC1)

You can place a special order for the same set for $34.99+S&H from ArkivMusic. They may or may not be able to get it for you, so you might be stuck with Steve Jobs' revenge.

Drasko

Easiest and safest option is for $60 from russianDVD

http://www.russiandvd.com/store/product.asp?sku=35887&lang=eng

There is another release on some new russian label called Classical Records. They managed to squeeze it onto 3 CDs so the price is touch lower. It can be bought from Russian sellers on e-bay for $25 (+$10 shipping) or from amazon for $43 (maybe).

George

Quote from: Drasko on August 10, 2007, 06:12:56 PM
Easiest and safest option is for $60 from russianDVD

http://www.russiandvd.com/store/product.asp?sku=35887&lang=eng

Though I like Russian DVD, I found a better deal for this release.

I got mine from ruslania (an excellent amazon seller) for $12 cheaper. They sent it in superb, solid packaging and I couldn't be happier with the transfer.

Here's a Link to Feinberg WTC on Russian CD

There is another release on some new russian label called Classical Records. They managed to squeeze it onto 3 CDs so the price is touch lower. It can be bought from Russian sellers on e-bay for $25 (+$10 shipping) or from amazon for $43 (maybe).

I sampled the Classical Records release about a month ago and I must say that it is overfiltered. The original sound is poor enough without them filtering out what to my ears appears to be very little tape hiss. I think that the money saved is not worth it.

George

Quote from: XB-70 Valkyrie on August 10, 2007, 04:41:51 PM
I just returned from Russia and bought many interesting CDs while I was there. Among these is a CD of Samuel Feinberg playing Bach, mostly his own transcriptions of Bach's organ pieces, but also some pieces originally written for clavier (harpsichord, what-have-you). I greatly enjoy his lyrical, insightful performances, which are decidedly non-HIP!

upon searching for more of his recordings on Amazon, I found that he recorded the WTC. Unfortunately it is over $100. Is anyone aware of any other options for acquiring this? Any comments on the performances?

GREAT performances, especially if you like your Bach played in a more Romantic style, and it sounds like you do. If you go to Russian DVD.com, you can listen to the the whole thing for free.

Just go here and click Preview.

Don

Quote from: PSmith08 on August 10, 2007, 05:55:18 PM
You can get a DRM-laden, 128 kbps AAC download off the iTunes Music Store for $30. (WTC1)

You can place a special order for the same set for $34.99+S&H from ArkivMusic. They may or may not be able to get it for you, so you might be stuck with Steve Jobs' revenge.

Just wanted to point out that the set from ArkivMusic contains the complete WTC.

XB-70 Valkyrie

Thanks! The Feinberg CD I bought in St. Petersburg is on the "Classical Records" label, and I think the sound is fine, given the age of the originals. It was only around 165 RUR (about $6 USD). I will explore the options listed above.
If you really dislike Bach you keep quiet about it! - Andras Schiff

Roy Bland

Quote from: XB-70 Valkyrie on August 10, 2007, 07:39:47 PM
Thanks! The Feinberg CD I bought in St. Petersburg is on the "Classical Records" label, and I think the sound is fine, given the age of the originals. It was only around 165 RUR (about $6 USD). I will explore the options listed above.
New Release