Classical Music Video--Discussion and Recommendations

Started by Mookalafalas, July 01, 2022, 01:59:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mookalafalas

There is a world of classical video available--both "historical" and streaming. For those of us who can't easily see live performances, video is, obviously, a tremendous resource. However, unless I'm missing something big (very possible!!) there isn't anything specifically devoted to this at GMG.

As a first recommendation, I am presently watching a video of The Artemis Quartet.  It's beautifully filmed, and sound is wonderful. However, the biggest draw, for me, is that it reveals the mechanics of how a string quartet really work. I had no understanding whatsoever, of the dynamics of this type of ensemble. Watching this video (not the first time) has really helped me understand what is going on among the various players, and this has raised my overall appreciation of the entire field (genre? institution? practice?).
  I have a large collection of videos, DVDs and Blu-ray's that I could comment on. What about you? What have you seen that you would recommend? Or warn against?
It's all good...

DavidW

That is one thing I don't like which is that chamber music doesn't seem to be performed live as often, at least where I live.  The ticket prices are even dirt cheap to compensate, and people still won't show up!

Back on topic.

The only dvds and blu-rays I've purchased are for operas, because I want to see it, not just blind listen.  But what I will say is there is a great free resource... YOUTUBE!  There are tons of performances there both historic and modern.  And you can hear things that were never officially released in any format.

LKB

Since YouTube was mentioned, I'll plug the uploaded videos which feature the Alban Berg String Quartet performing Beethoven's late quartets, recorded live back in the '80's iirc. I watch these at work frequently, particularly Op. 131 and 132. Tolerable video, and good sound.
Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...

DavidW

Quote from: LKB on July 01, 2022, 06:52:56 AM
Since YouTube was mentioned, I'll plug the uploaded videos which feature the Alban Berg String Quartet performing Beethoven's late quartets, recorded live back in the '80's iirc. I watch these at work frequently, particularly Op. 131 and 132. Tolerable video, and good sound.

Thanks!  I added one to my watch list.