Author Topic: Recordings for lute and related instruments  (Read 161471 times)

Offline Dry Brett Kavanaugh

• Veteran member
  • Currently Listening to:
    Eric Dolphy, Persian music, Sorabji, Scriabin, Sex Pistols
Re: Recordings for lute and related instruments
« Reply #600 on: January 21, 2022, 01:06:23 PM »
I’ve just received a batch of five lute recordings from Japan, including this. No surprises: it is British music iki style, tons of space for the phrases to breathe, it must be very hard to do, to judge how long to hold a note, a rest. Masterful playing obvs. Without wishing to wax poetic, one feels one is in the presence of an angel.

HMV Japan are wonderful! Easy to deal with, all the customs stuff dealt with, a good system of discounts especially for multiple orders, reasonable delivery charges and the package got from Tokyo to London in about as much time as a package takes to get from Glasgow to London.

Glad to hear that everything went well, and the disc (and other recordings) was very good. Miles Davis once said that how you don’t play is more important than how you play (or something like that). It appears that the recording in question and his Weichenberger disc were well-received in Japan.

Online Mandryka

• Veteran member
Re: Recordings for lute and related instruments
« Reply #601 on: January 22, 2022, 12:18:03 PM »
The Weichenberger is wonderful, it reveals a composer as poetic as Reusner. The only other Weichenberger I’d heard before was on a recording by Miguel Yisrael which I really didn’t enjoy one bit - go figure.

There’s a Weichenberger suite in Satoh’s Austrian music compilation CD.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen