Huelgas Ensemble's recordings.

Started by Harry, April 27, 2020, 08:27:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harry

I am in the process of assembling the missing recordings from the Huelgas Ensemble, so I would like to invite suggestions from all the GMG ers who have also a feel for this ensemble and what they are recording, in case I forgot some of them.
Please help me out in this.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Mandryka

Some rarities I have

Polyphonie von flämischen Komponisten
Musica Aldersoetste Konst
Hoogtepunten in de kunst van de Franco-Flamands
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Harry

Quote from: Mandryka on April 27, 2020, 08:35:14 AM
Some rarities I have

Polyphonie von flämischen Komponisten
Musica Aldersoetste Konst
Hoogtepunten in de kunst van de Franco-Flamands

Thank you, they were not on my list, so I will search for them.

Biffo

I saw your other post in another thread and was a bit confused. Anyway, a couple I didn't notice was -

40 Voices - works by Striggio, Tallis and other
Demantius - Vespers for Whitsun

Harry

Quote from: Biffo on April 27, 2020, 08:47:44 AM
I saw your other post in another thread and was a bit confused. Anyway, a couple I didn't notice was -

40 Voices - works by Striggio, Tallis and other
Demantius - Vespers for Whitsun

Correct but I would not want to derail the purchase thread.
The 40 voices I have already, but the Demantius is one I will investigate.
Thank you.

Mandryka

Have you ever seen them sing with Paul Van Nevel? The sound they can sometimes make is extraordinary! And he looks like such a congenial fellow - I'm sure he'd make an excellent drinking buddie. I was intending to go to the festival he's started to run near Besançon, or maybe near Dijon, partly because I want to get to know him. But that's obviously postponed sine die.

When I was in Utrecht in 2018 it was obvious that he got on well with Bjorn Schmeltzer - who also looks like a good drinking buddie. Anyway seeing them together helped me somehow get the two into better perspective - both passionate about music, both inspirational leaders no doubt, both inclined to stray from the beaten path, both experimental by nature.

Harry

Quote from: Mandryka on April 27, 2020, 09:10:19 AM
Have you ever seen them sing with Paul Van Nevel? The sound they can sometimes make is extraordinary! And he looks like such a congenial fellow - I'm sure he'd make an excellent drinking buddie. I was intending to go to the festival he's started to run near Besançon, or maybe near Dijon, partly because I want to get to know him. But that's obviously postponed sine die.

Very often, especially in the years 1979 till 1995.  He is a connoisseur of cigars, beers, food, and wine, and a great story teller.  He is a very congenial guy indeed. I talked to him a few times, in my home town in once in Germany.

Biffo

One more disc I found this morning - on the hmGold label - Lamentations de la Renaissance. All the other H-E recordings I have you have mentioned already.

Harry

Quote from: Biffo on April 28, 2020, 01:16:35 AM
One more disc I found this morning - on the hmGold label - Lamentations de la Renaissance. All the other H-E recordings I have you have mentioned already.

The lamentations of the Renaissance is a CD I am trying to find. Difficult though. I have seen in their discography starting around 1975, that a lot of the LP'S are never put on CD, and most of them that were, are unavailable.
I have the big box however "A Secret Labyrinth" which holds a few of those recordings.

Biffo

Quote from: "Harry" on April 28, 2020, 01:35:48 AM
The lamentations of the Renaissance is a CD I am trying to find. Difficult though. I have seen in their discography starting around 1975  a lot of the LP'S which are never put on CD, and most of them that were, are unavailable.
I have the big box however "A Secret Labyrinth" which holds a few of those recordings.

I can't really help. Several of the H-E discs I bought in France when harmonia mundi still had a chain of shops. The Lamentations album is available from Presto Classical but only as a download, possibly not much use as you want the disc.

Mandryka

Harry

Quote from: Mandryka on April 28, 2020, 02:32:35 AM
Here

https://www.discogs.com/Huelgas-Ensemble-Paul-Van-Nevel-Lamentations-De-La-Renaissance/release/999301

(The CD transfer, I'm listening to it now, sounds very good.)

Oeps steep prices, but I will try to get the cheapest copy. thank you for the effort.

T. D.

Quote from: "Harry" on April 28, 2020, 01:35:48 AM
The lamentations of the Renaissance is a CD I am trying to find. Difficult though....

Surprising. I got this some years ago, iirc from Berkshire Record Outlet (big US dealer in cutouts/overstocks).

Biffo

Quote from: T. D. on April 29, 2020, 02:56:49 PM
Surprising. I got this some years ago, iirc from Berkshire Record Outlet (big US dealer in cutouts/overstocks).

I think 'some years ago' is the key. I got my copy several years ago. It doeSn't seem to be available from the harmonia mundi website - https://boutique.harmoniamundi.com/

Harry

Quote from: Biffo on April 30, 2020, 01:26:53 AM
I think 'some years ago' is the key. I got my copy several years ago. It doeSn't seem to be available from the harmonia mundi website - https://boutique.harmoniamundi.com/

Actually a lot of their recordings are not available anymore, especially from 1975 onwards. And if then second hand and at horrendous prices.

T. D.

Quote from: Biffo on April 30, 2020, 01:26:53 AM

Yes, I didn't expect it to still be available. I mentioned Berkshire because I'm often surprised when slow-selling CDs (as evidenced by their presence at cutout vendors like BRO) go out of stock and suddenly are only offered at exorbitant prices. Obviously the putative payers of the exorbitant prices were nowhere to be found when the product was languishing on vendor shelves!