Acoustic Blues

Started by Old San Antone, April 28, 2020, 04:08:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old San Antone

Quote from: Irons on September 08, 2020, 07:31:26 AM
Big Joe Williams with his 9 string guitar and supported by Ransom Knowling on bass: Highway 49.

Released on CD in 1992 and worth seeking out for the superb musicianship alone of Williams' playing on guitar.

https://youtu.be/ZBUKSGOZNzs

Big Joe Williams is one of the greats.  One sideline fact was his friendship with Bob Dylan, whose harmonica playing Joe really liked.

Irons

Quote from: Old San Antone on September 08, 2020, 08:11:24 AM
Big Joe Williams is one of the greats.  One sideline fact was his friendship with Bob Dylan, whose harmonic playing Joe really liked.

I did not know that. Big fan of Bob Dylan too.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Irons

You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Irons

Sleepy John Estes: Milk Cow Blues.

Irons

Snooks Eaglin: Brown Skinned Woman.

Irons

Lightnin' Hopkins: Bring me my Shotgun.

And a pocketful of shells! Blues at it's most authentic, a stunning track.

Irons

Muddy Waters: Manish Boy.

Must be mid to late 1960's I attended a Muddy Waters concert at Walthamstow, London during his European tour.
Two things stick in my mind from all those years ago - stage fright from Muddy himself, he appeared very nervous outside his comfort zone. Also, awful planning from the promoters with soul singer Joe Simon back up on the bill. I felt so sorry for him as he was booed by an audience only interested in Blues.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: Irons on August 03, 2023, 06:50:16 AMSnooks Eaglin: Brown Skinned Woman.

I went to his live in New Orleans a few times and talked to him!

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

I like this recording.

San Antone

Playing For the Man at the Door Showcases Legendary Mack McCormick Collection

On Aug. 4, Smithsonian Folkways Recordings will release Playing for the Man at the Door: Field Recordings from the Collection of Mack McCormick, 1958 – 1971, a three CD/six LP box set of previously unheard field recordings from McCormick's archive that includes a 128-page book of photographs from the collection and essays by leading blues scholars from the Smithsonian and beyond.

I haven't bought the box yet, but am very impressed with what I've heard via streaming.

KevinP

Quote from: Irons on August 14, 2023, 08:29:59 AMMuddy Waters: Manish Boy.

Not really 'Acoustic Blues' though.

Although I've warmed to them over the years, the Johnny Winter-era LPs are not my favourite era.

Irons

Quote from: KevinP on August 14, 2023, 02:02:38 PMNot really 'Acoustic Blues' though.

Although I've warmed to them over the years, the Johnny Winter-era LPs are not my favourite era.

Quite right too. Is there an Electric Blues thread?

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Talkin about electric blues, I recently listened to these nice recordings from Cobra.

Irons

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on August 14, 2023, 08:54:33 AMI went to his live in New Orleans a few times and talked to him!

Great! I smuggled myself in the dressing room at the Royal Albert Hall and sat down with Sleepy John Estes who like Snooks Eaglin was blind. I rather stupidly asked him for an autograph. He X my programme.