Bluegrass & Old Time Music

Started by Old San Antone, April 28, 2020, 06:15:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old San Antone

The Appalachian ballad tradition is alive among a new generation of singers and musicians, most of whom learned their songs directly from oral tradition - either from older singers, from recordings or both.

This two-disk album, a project supporting the Great Smoky Mountains National Park, brings these powerful songs to a whole new audience. Listeners will be delighted with the variety of music within, from the old world to the new.

CD #1 - Old World Ballads:

Barbry Allen (Carol Elizabeth Jones)
        Thomas the Rhymer (Archie Fisher)
        Tam Lin (Archie Fisher)
        Lord Thomas and Fair Ellender (Sheila Kay Adams)
        Mathy Groves (Donna Ray Norton)
        Eggs and Marrowbone (Jody Stecher and Kate Brislin)
        The Sheffield Apprentice (Martin Simpson, Andy Cutting and Nancy Kerr)
        Willie Taylor (Martin Simpson, Andy Cutting and Nancy Kerr)
        The Bold Lieutenant (Alice Gerrard)
        Lord Bateman (Carol Elizabeth Jones)
        The Farmer's Curst Wife (Donna Ray Norton)
        Mr. Frog Went A-Courtin' (Bill and the Belles)
        Barbara Allen (Rosanne Cash)

CD #2 - New World Ballads:

Wild Hog in the Woods (Alice Gerrard)
        The Battle Song of the Great Kanawha (Trevor McKenzie)
        Doleful Warning (Bruce Greene and Loy McWhirter)
        Omie Wise (Hasee Ciaccio with Kalia Yeagle)
        Banks of the Ohio (Doyle Lawson)
        Knoxville Girl (Kristi Hedtke and Corbin Hayslett)
        Pretty Polly (Amythyst Kiah with Roy Andrade)
        Tom Dula (Laura Boosinger with the Kruger Brothers)
        Hiram Hubbard (Corbin Hayslett)
        Big Bend Killing (Alice Gerrard)
        Old Joe Dawson (Bobby McMillon)
        Otto Wood the Bandit (David Holt)
        John Henry (Amythyst Kiah with Roy Andrade)
        Wreck of the Old 97 (Corbin Hayslett)
        Explosion in the Fairmount Mines (John Lilly)
        West Virginia Mine Disaster (Elizabeth LaPrelle)
        The Cyclone of Rye Cove (Dale Jett and Hello Stranger)
        I've Always Been a Rambler (John Lilly)
        The Parting Glass (Rosanne Cash)

https://www.youtube.com/v/uroBJxA4RjU

Pohjolas Daughter

I'm glad that there are people keeping the old ballads/songs alive.  Must admit, that it's been a while since I've listened to real 'old timey' music. 

Best,

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Old San Antone

Fiddler's Pastime (release date Sept. 4th) is the debut solo album that establishes fiddler Bronwyn Keith-Hynes as one of the most exciting bluegrass musicians of her generation. This powerful collection of original fiddle tunes and traditional songs features world renowned guest artists Sierra Hull, Tim O'Brien, Sarah Jarosz, Chris Eldridge, Laura Orshaw and James Kee. This debut showcases Bronwyn's ability not only to effortlessly lead a band with her fiery, innovative and witty fiddling but to slip into the background in creative ways to support the other instrumentalists and guest singers who contribute to this stunning bluegrass album. Created with the help of producer and Sam Bush Band banjo player Wes Corbett, Fiddler's Pastime is a celebration of her first year of living in Nashville, TN. "I moved here in 2018 and it's been a really inspiring time in my life, being surrounded by this incredible music scene" Bronwyn says. "I felt like I had to make an album to capture some things I'm excited about right now."

https://www.youtube.com/v/qtcjeKRCnQo&feature=emb_title

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Old San Antone on September 04, 2020, 05:40:50 PM
Fiddler's Pastime (release date Sept. 4th) is the debut solo album that establishes fiddler Bronwyn Keith-Hynes as one of the most exciting bluegrass musicians of her generation. This powerful collection of original fiddle tunes and traditional songs features world renowned guest artists Sierra Hull, Tim O'Brien, Sarah Jarosz, Chris Eldridge, Laura Orshaw and James Kee. This debut showcases Bronwyn's ability not only to effortlessly lead a band with her fiery, innovative and witty fiddling but to slip into the background in creative ways to support the other instrumentalists and guest singers who contribute to this stunning bluegrass album. Created with the help of producer and Sam Bush Band banjo player Wes Corbett, Fiddler's Pastime is a celebration of her first year of living in Nashville, TN. "I moved here in 2018 and it's been a really inspiring time in my life, being surrounded by this incredible music scene" Bronwyn says. "I felt like I had to make an album to capture some things I'm excited about right now."

https://www.youtube.com/v/qtcjeKRCnQo&feature=emb_title

I've been seeing that album's advance adverts, knew nothing about her at all, but was intrigued. I reckon I'll have a go at it, love a good fiddler!   :)

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Old San Antone

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on September 05, 2020, 07:58:02 AM
I've been seeing that album's advance adverts, knew nothing about her at all, but was intrigued. I reckon I'll have a go at it, love a good fiddler!   :)

8)

I have discovered a lot of new acoustic music from my subscription to No Depression Magazine.  This one came across in their latest email of new releases.  It features some of the best of the new generation of BG musicians, along with Tim O'Brien, an old hand.  Impressive.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Old San Antone on September 05, 2020, 08:11:26 AM
I have discovered a lot of new acoustic music from my subscription to No Depression Magazine.  This one came across in their latest email of new releases.  It features some of the best of the new generation of BG musicians, along with Tim O'Brien, an old hand.  Impressive.

I've been getting that 'Bluegrass Today' newsletter. It does give you info on a lot of what's going on, new releases, concerts, deaths (lot of the old guys are dropping like flies :'( ), handy to have. You are a lot deeper into it than I am, so this fits my needs nicely. :)

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on September 05, 2020, 07:58:02 AM

8)
Thanks for the heads up; I hadn't heard of her before now.  :)

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on September 05, 2020, 06:13:02 PM
I've been getting that 'Bluegrass Today' newsletter. It does give you info on a lot of what's going on, new releases, concerts, deaths (lot of the old guys are dropping like flies :'( ), handy to have. You are a lot deeper into it than I am, so this fits my needs nicely. :)

8)
I know.  Sad to see ....and yet another reminder too that we're all getting older.  :(

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

stingo

Quote from: Old San Antone on September 05, 2020, 08:11:26 AM

I just subscribed (digitally) to No Depression (based on this post) but I don't know how to access the issues?

Old San Antone

Quote from: stingo on September 12, 2020, 04:10:47 PM
I just subscribed (digitally) to No Depression (based on this post) but I don't know how to access the issues?

The print magazine is a quarterly; if you've subscribed to the digital-only, you probably won't get the print version (but they are themed and often I don't find them that interesting).  I don't think I've ever viewed the digital issue.  The emails with new releases/reviews is how I mainly use the site - and their coverage of new Roots music is excellent.

Papy Oli

We can make it three releases in 3 months for Gillian Welch !!

Boots/Lost Songs Vol.2 has appeared on the streaming platform as well :

Wouldn't Be So Bad
Didn't I
Good Baby
Hundred Miles
Rambling Blade
I Only Cry When You Go
Lonesome Just Like You
You Only Have Your Soul
Picasso
Beautiful Boy
Happy Mother's Day
Papa Writes to Johnny
Fair September
Wella Hella
I Just Want You To Know
Olivier

Old San Antone

Quote from: Papy Oli on September 18, 2020, 05:51:06 AM

Wouldn't Be So Bad
Didn't I
Good Baby
Hundred Miles
Rambling Blade
I Only Cry When You Go
Lonesome Just Like You
You Only Have Your Soul
Picasso
Beautiful Boy
Happy Mother's Day
Papa Writes to Johnny
Fair September
Wella Hella
I Just Want You To Know

Great news!  Thanks for the heads-up.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Papy Oli on September 18, 2020, 05:51:06 AM

Wouldn't Be So Bad
Didn't I
Good Baby
Hundred Miles
Rambling Blade
I Only Cry When You Go
Lonesome Just Like You
You Only Have Your Soul
Picasso
Beautiful Boy
Happy Mother's Day
Papa Writes to Johnny
Fair September
Wella Hella
I Just Want You To Know
Three releases in three months!  ???
Pohjolas Daughter

Old San Antone

Another good one just out:

QuoteNashville-based singer/songwriter/guitarist/mandolinist Brennen Leigh reminds us that roots music is about stories, not ZIP codes, on Prairie Love Letter, her reflection on growing up along the border between Minnesota and North Dakota.

Folk-oriented music like this can sound light and ethereal. Between the mandolins, the skipping rhythms, and the singers, who often work in a high register, songs can feel mystical, like watching wondrous creatures frolic in an open field when they think no one is watching. Leigh's voice is charming, but has more of a heft, reminiscent of the Indigo Girls' Amy Ray, and almost like it built itself up as protection from tough winters. Paired with music that works the space between country and folk, produced by Robbie Fulks, who's familiar with that space himself, the songs are like traveling to a different region, where the locals serve a familiar dish a little bit differently. (No Depression review)

Old San Antone

Cross posted from the Non-Classical Listening thread.

Quote from: SonicMan46 on December 28, 2020, 08:17:19 AM
Tony Rice, famed bluegrass guitarist, singer, composer dies on Christmas day at 69 years of age!  Born in Danville, VA near the North Carolina border and lived in Reidsville, NC at the time of his death, both w/i an hour's drive from me.  I've been a bluegrass fan for decades and Tony was such a force in the genre (and others) - own about 8 or so of his albums, love them all but a favorite is the one mentioned below in the short NPR bio synopsis, i.e. J.D. Crowe and the New South - pics below of the young Rice w/ Ricky Skaggs - put together a Spotify playlist of 6 of his early albums - listening now.  Dave :)

There is a great YouTube show hosted by Bryan Sutton called Me and his Guitar.  Tony Rice was a major force in the Bluegrass and Americana community and his death is a huge loss.  R.I.P. Tony.

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot