Best looking CD/LP for sleeve & artwork

Started by Carlo Gesualdo, May 06, 2020, 07:00:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

staxomega

I tend to like the old DG CDs that used paintings. There was some CD reissue series that is slipping my mind that used John Constable's paintings (one of my favorite painters) and those were quite nice. Maybe not the most original to use someone else's art, but a decent safe choice.

staxomega

Quote from: Irons on July 02, 2021, 07:42:06 AM
Come across this at a charity shop last week.

Very nice. Of all the Mahler album art the second from Klemperer is the one burned into my mind as "the" Mahler art that stands out in my mind, probably because I associate it so strongly with the second.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: vandermolen on July 02, 2021, 02:11:45 PM
Me too DBK - It's my favourite of those Marco Polo NYM covers, although they are all good.

One of my favourite CD covers:

And a favourite LP cover:

Yes the both look great, and the Ormandy cover looks sharp. How about the music of Shosty/Ormandy? The lush, silky sound of Ormandy/Philadelphia works very good for some music and it doesn't for some. Just curious.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: Stürmisch Bewegt on April 18, 2021, 01:18:14 PM
I do love Naïve covers! Bold, challenging and fun, even if they've little or no relation to the music they enclose (in point of fact, how many covers actually do, besides images of composer or performer/s?).

I apologize my late response. I fully agree with you. I love Naive covers. They are fashionable, cute, and very different from the covers of other labels. I think Capriccio covers are nearly or exactly the worst.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Irons

Reminded of this cover on the vinyl thread.

Looking up the artist Henri Rousseau I discover a second LP on my shelves features his work.

You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

geralmar

geralmar

MusicTurner

Speaking of Rousseau, there's also this very fine recording, but with a somewhat ~selective approach to his painting, to suit that De Falla programme:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiger_in_a_Tropical_Storm

VonStupp

Cross-posted from the WAYLT thread some time back:

Quote from: VonStupp on January 16, 2022, 08:59:56 AM
PI Tchaikovsky
Manfred Symphony, op. 58
Philharmonia Orchestra - Riccardo Muti
(rec. 1981)

Quote from: VonStupp on January 16, 2022, 10:00:40 AM
I also really like the artwork on this one. Something about the glowing pool of water in the bottom right against the browns of the left and the greys of the top half. The man and his dog seem minuscule against the towering height and beauty of the surrounding nature scene, but provide some movement to the landscape. The perspective of near to far ground is wonderful, and I would love to wander this myself.

VS

"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."

geralmar

1960?

Remarkable cover given this was on a cheap label intended for impulse purchase and usually found in a revolving metal corner rack in dime stores and super markets and the like-- never in actual record stores.  The conductor and orchestra are pseudonyms.  Reasonable guess is the conductor is Hans Jurgens-Walther and a Hamburg orchestra.

geralmar

staxomega

I took this photo on a morning run at our lake house, reminds me of the art from the Fou Ts'ong album of him playing Chopin's Fantaisie in F minor; a colorful work that evokes memories of the early spring. 

VonStupp

Cross-posted from the WAYLTN thread:

Incidentally, I love the arrangement of the rock outcropping, the grazing sheep, the workers, and the town in the distance, set off from the trees and the mountains within this landscape cover art.

Like the Muti recording above, anywhere I would love to amble for a constitutional myself works for me.

VS

"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."

Rosalba

Quote from: VonStupp on April 24, 2022, 04:46:20 AM
Cross-posted from the WAYLTN thread:

Incidentally, I love the arrangement of the rock outcropping, the grazing sheep, the workers, and the town in the distance, set off from the trees and the mountains within this landscape cover art.

Like the Muti recording above, anywhere I would love to amble for a constitutional myself works for me.

VS

Very attractive!

steve ridgway

I bet someone on here has a listening room like this. 8)

geralmar

Carlo Gesualdo

GRIEF - Come to Grief- 1994 releasd very good stuff. Bluesy sludge doom,slow like a snail of burgundy in pace, to mid pace, the sleeve if someone can help me post it is hallucinating good quite frankly I remenber back in 1994 buying the tape for fews bucks  yep [asin]Grief - Come to grief cd[/asin]

steve ridgway

Found it on Discogs and it is rather pretty. 8)