Best looking CD/LP for sleeve & artwork

Started by Carlo Gesualdo, May 06, 2020, 07:00:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

geralmar

Not particularly original; but I've always liked this cover:

This one not as much:

JBS

Rhapsody in Blue gets a lot of cover images featuring the Manhattan skyline, but I see only two using bridges

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

JBS

On a completely different topic, here's the cover of Lieberson's King Gesar, based on a legendary Tibetan hero whose life is the focus of what is supposedly the world's longest epic poem.

[It's part of the Sony Peter Serkin Complete Recordings box.]

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

geralmar

Two more appealing "New World" skylines:

Irons

Another skyline and one a bit different.

You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

geralmar

One attractive New World that avoids cliche:

Florestan

Si un hombre nunca se contradice será porque nunca dice nada. —Miguel de Unamuno

Jo498

But wouldn't late 19th century transatlantic lines mostly have steamships ;)
I know that there were sailing ships going from Europe to Chile for guano as late as the 1930s or even later but I think the migrant or tourists between Europe and the US in the 1890s would go by steamships.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Florestan

Quote from: Jo498 on July 03, 2022, 10:14:29 AM
But wouldn't late 19th century transatlantic lines mostly have steamships ;)

To me it evokes the original concept of "New World", the Columbus one.   ;)
Si un hombre nunca se contradice será porque nunca dice nada. —Miguel de Unamuno

Irons

Quote from: Florestan on July 03, 2022, 10:17:32 AM
To me it evokes the original concept of "New World", the Columbus one.   ;)

Good point.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Irons

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Irons

Quote from: geralmar on July 28, 2022, 10:14:33 AM

I own the CD and for the longest time I thought it was an onion on a stick.

Or a pendulum.

Peter Power Pop

I'm currently captivated by this cover:

geralmar

geralmar

Florestan

My very favorite, hands down:

Besides fitting the content of the disc to a T, it makes a strong statement. Kudos to whomever designed it.

EDIT: Great music, too!

geralmar

Monophonic

I never liked how the "STEREO" banner plastered at the top of so many L.P. albums obscured the artwork:

geralmar

Monophonic

Mercury dealt with the issue by simply shoving the image down, losing detail at the bottom:

geralmar

This album cover fascinated me when I was young, wondering how the photographic effects were obtained.  No computer animation back then.