Bach French Suites

Started by SergeCpp, May 11, 2020, 03:15:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SergeCpp

There is a strangeness in simple things.

Mandryka

Has anyone heard Rübsam's new one? (I'm waiting for it to appear on Qobuz - because I'm mean!)
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

milk

Quote from: Mandryka on May 11, 2020, 03:22:40 AM
Has anyone heard Rübsam's new one? (I'm waiting for it to appear on Qobuz - because I'm mean!)
I forgot about that. I think it's not on Amazon yet.

milk

Bradley Brookshire. I haven't listened to this in a while. It used to be one of my favorites.

Van Asperen: I love this instrument and his "vibe."
French Suites can be really trippy. These recordings seem like afternoon listening. Brookshire is really intense though, while Van Asperen...I can't remember how it comes off but I have to get back to it as I remember loving it.

MusicTurner

I only have a few recordings of these works, but Gavrilov/EMI (piano) would really be my desert-island choice & it's more or less enough for me.
Btw the budget twofer also has Bunin in some further Bach works, likewise good.

SergeCpp

Two quite interesting recordins of my recent discoveries.

Bach French Suites — Francesco Cera (Harpsichord)

Recorded: 2008.
Suites: 18:06, 17:29, 18:07, 16:37, 20:25, 16:29.
Total: 1:47:38.

Bach French Suites — Monica Leone (Piano) [ Vol. 1 | Vol. 2 ]

Recorded: 2004.
Suites: 15:43, 15:07, 17:27, 13:14, 17:05, 16:52.
Total: 1:36:07.

//

Mandryka

The Cera is very strange because it's so different from his other recordings! It's a few years since I heard it last, but I remember blowing hot and cold, sometimes it sounds like the most wonderful performance in the universe, other times it sounds unnatural, with random rubato.

On harpsichord the recordings which have proved the most consistently rewarding for me are the most plain speaking ones -- direct and simple in their expression. Mario Videla recorded all of them. Unfortunately I've never been able to get hold of the recording, but I very much like what he does in his Haenssler recording of the Clavier-Buchlein fur Anna Magdalena Bach, where there are five French suites.  And I like Koopman's CD too. I have a feeling that the new Rubsam will blow all the competition out of the water, but as I said, I'm too mean to part with the dosh. It won't be plain speaking though!

aukhawk

On piano Joanna MacGregor is my favourite, for the French Suites.

For the OP, there is also this:
Toccata BWV 914 (harpsichord) - blind comparison

SergeCpp

Quote from: aukhawk on May 13, 2020, 01:21:11 AMFor the OP, there is also this:
Toccata BWV 914 (harpsichord) - blind comparison
aukhawk, thank you! Added.

Bach French Suites (with Preludes) — David Cates (Harpsichord)

Recorded: 2001.
Total: 1:35:29 (with Preludes) / 1:24:52 (without Preludes).

Bach French Suites — Bernard Roberts (Piano)

Total: 1:35:09.

//

prémont

Well, my suggestions for the French suites (in no particular order):

Pieter Jan Belder
Ton Koopman
Kenneth Gilbert
Olivier Beaumont
Alan Curtis
David Moroney
Colin Tilney (clavichord)

I have not yet heard Rübsam's lute harpsichord version.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

milk

Quote from: SergeCpp on May 12, 2020, 06:17:05 AM
Two quite interesting recordins of my recent discoveries.

Bach French Suites — Francesco Cera (Harpsichord)

Recorded: 2008.
Suites: 18:06, 17:29, 18:07, 16:37, 20:25, 16:29.
Total: 1:47:38.

Bach French Suites — Monica Leone (Piano) [ Vol. 1 | Vol. 2 ]

Suites: 15:43, 15:07, 17:27, 13:14, 17:05, 16:52.
Total: 1:36:07.

//
that Leone one is an odd duck. I tried listening to it today. Maybe I'll try again some day. She seems like she makes odd choices. And sometimes she seems like she's practicing.

SergeCpp

milk

Years ago I read some bad reviews about this series; it's Bach on the lute-harpsichord. I recall listening to a little of it and moving on. I was searching around this morning and came across it so I gave it a go. It's definitely not the adventure that Rubsam is but I do like the sound of the instrument. There seems to be more variation in the registers, more twang and a much thicker bass sound. So, Paul takes things slow though, again, not as slow as Rubsam. Really there's not much comparison between the two but I just mention Rubsam because he goes for the Lute-harpsichord as well. Paul is more conservative though there is rubato. The volume I'm listening to mixes selections from both the French suites and Partitas. I'm hearing more rubato on the partitas. I think this recording is worth hearing. The clarity of voices is really enjoyable and I think there's much more going on than was reflected in some of the reviews. Once I started listening, I couldn't stop.

milk

I think this is quite good. First of all she plays a really wonderful sounding instrument, a copy of a 1702 Mietke. This just sounds phenomenal. She has a great touch with her ornamentations and a she produces a very energetic and buoyant performance.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: milk on May 11, 2020, 04:49:52 PM

Bradley Brookshire. I haven't listened to this in a while. It used to be one of my favorites.

Van Asperen: I love this instrument and his "vibe."
French Suites can be really trippy. These recordings seem like afternoon listening. Brookshire is really intense though, while Van Asperen...I can't remember how it comes off but I have to get back to it as I remember loving it.

Did BVA lower the tuning? I like the album.

Mandryka

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: (: premont :) on May 13, 2020, 02:42:04 AM
Well, my suggestions for the French suites (in no particular order):

Pieter Jan Belder
Ton Koopman
Kenneth Gilbert
Olivier Beaumont
Alan Curtis
David Moroney
Colin Tilney (clavichord)

I have not yet heard Rübsam's lute harpsichord version.

Leonhardt?

Mandryka

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: Mandryka on October 07, 2020, 01:34:22 PM
Francesco Cera?

I can see that Nouvelle Vague hipsters like it.

vers la flamme

Bob van Asperen's French Suites still features one of the very best harpsichord sounds I've ever heard in my life. I don't know what it is about it, but it sounds fucking phenomenal! Too bad it's impossible to find on CD.