Bach French Suites

Started by SergeCpp, May 11, 2020, 03:15:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mandryka

Quote from: vers la flamme on October 07, 2020, 04:06:20 PM
Bob van Asperen's French Suites still features one of the very best harpsichord sounds I've ever heard in my life. I don't know what it is about it, but it sounds fucking phenomenal! Too bad it's impossible to find on CD.

Christian Vater 1738 in Nuremberg National Museum - as far as I know this is the only recording of the instrument. There are many recordings of modern harpsichords "after" the Christian Vater 1738, but it's not the same! The sound is strong and rich, but not specially refined or delicate. As far as the performances go, it's very decorative - what I mean is, he lays on both ornamentation and rubato liberally. In a sense it could be seen as a preliminary study for his extraordinary hardcore decorated Art of Fugue.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Mandryka

This is an interesting one, impetuous and passionate. Someone I know compared Blandine Verlet to Martha Argerich, and listening this morning that comparison came to mind.

Que

Bob van Asperen's French Suites still features one of the very best harpsichord sounds I've ever heard in my life. I don't know what it is about it, but it sounds fucking phenomenal! Too bad it's impossible to find on CD.

I know... I waited to long and am now empty handed.....  ::)

The good news is that Æolus actually reissues recordings that run out of print - bless them for this old fashioned attitude...

Q

milk

this and Bradley Brookshire are my favorites I've never heard an instrument sound quite like Van Asperen's.

Mandryka

Quote from: milk on October 08, 2020, 12:52:33 AM
this and Bradley Brookshire are my favorites I've never heard an instrument sound quite like Van Asperen's.

Bradley Brookshire uses a modern harpsichord based on the Nuremberg Vater, I agree it sounds different.

milk

Well, so far this makes much more sense to me than his other lute harpsichord recordings of Bach. I like this although I do struggle with having listened to this work too much.

Mandryka

Quote from: milk on December 10, 2020, 07:56:43 PM

Well, so far this makes much more sense to me than his other lute harpsichord recordings of Bach. I like this although I do struggle with having listened to this work too much.

I think the Rübsam approach is most fruitful in polyphony, less so in music where there's only one interesting voice.

springrite

Quote from: MusicTurner on May 11, 2020, 05:02:12 PM
I only have a few recordings of these works, but Gavrilov/EMI (piano) would really be my desert-island choice & it's more or less enough for me.
Btw the budget twofer also has Bunin in some further Bach works, likewise good.
I have quite a few versions and this is the one I return to the most.
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

milk

Quote from: springrite on December 10, 2020, 08:07:41 PM
I have quite a few versions and this is the one I return to the most.
I'm struggling to understand what it is about Gavrilov. To me, it almost sounds like he was playing to a click-track. But admittedly, I just sampled a little bit of it.

bioluminescentsquid

I'm with milk on this - to me it makes much more sense in this sort of music (a little of 'Style brisé' feel) than in strict polyphony.
'

Mandryka

Quote from: bioluminescentsquid on December 13, 2020, 12:36:08 AM
to me it makes much more sense in this sort of music (a little of 'Style brisé' feel) than in strict polyphony.
'

prémont

Quote from: Mandryka on December 10, 2020, 08:00:44 PM
I think the Rübsam approach is most fruitful in polyphony, less so in music where there's only one interesting voice.

Quote from: bioluminescentsquid on December 13, 2020, 12:36:08 AM
I'm with milk on this - to me it makes much more sense in this sort of music (a little of 'Style brisé' feel) than in strict polyphony.
'

I stand mid between, because I think Rübsam's style makes sense both in polyphonic music and in lute-like music.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

SonicMan46

French Suites below in my collection - a different instrument for each recording which I like - could add another one and I do like the lute harpsichord - curious what the current thoughts may be on the Rübsam recording?  Thanks - Dave :)

Mandryka

Quote from: SonicMan46 on February 07, 2022, 09:06:56 AM
French Suites below in my collection - a different instrument for each recording which I like - could add another one and I do like the lute harpsichord - curious what the current thoughts may be on the Rübsam recording?  Thanks - Dave :)

The Rubsam is well worth hearing.

Mandryka

Quote from: SonicMan46 on February 07, 2022, 09:06:56 AM
French Suites below in my collection - a different instrument for each recording which I like -

You may enjoy Paul Beier on lute.

SonicMan46

Quote from: Mandryka on February 07, 2022, 09:48:08 AM
The Rubsam is well worth hearing.

Thanks Mandryka - just checked Spotify and the recording is available - will take a listen soon - Dave :)

prémont

The French suites are rather elusive, and most recordings I have heard miss their intimate and small scale character. Some, which I think are successful, are:

On harpsichord:
Christopher Hogwood
Bob van Asperen
Peter-Jan Belder
Ton Koopman

On lute-harpsichord:
Wolfgang Rübsam

On clavichord:
Colin Tilney

On piano:
Wolfgang Rübsam
Ivo Janssen

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

SonicMan46

Quote from: (: premont :) on February 07, 2022, 12:19:46 PM
The French suites are rather elusive, and most recordings I have heard miss their intimate and small scale character. Some, which I think are successful, are:

On harpsichord:
Christopher Hogwood
Bob van Asperen
Peter-Jan Belder
Ton Koopman

On lute-harpsichord:
Wolfgang Rübsam

On clavichord:
Colin Tilney

On piano:
Wolfgang Rübsam
Ivo Janssen

Hi : premont : - appreciate your 'expert' advise - well, I do have Tilney & Janssen covered; a while back for harpsichord, I culled out David Cates and added Suszuki and happy w/ his performances - SO, adding Rübsam on the lute harpsichord seems reasonable.  Thanks again - Dave :)

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

As for piano version, I find Edward Aldwell's playing unique and somehow antique/medieval-like. While I like Janssen's box, I am not a big fan of his French Suites.  Plus 1 for van Asperen harpsichord. Also I like the old recording by Leonhardt.

milk

Way back when, I had a fondness for Bradley Brookshire. I have to delisted. I love Van Asperen. That harpsichord he plays is something special.