5 (12.5%)
Polystylism
7 (17.5%)
Other/s
2 (5%)

Total Members Voted: 40

Uhor

Symphonic Addict

I voted for: from Middle Classical to Contemporary, and late Baroque.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

SimonNZ

Really "all of the above", but the "most liked" graph for me would be U-shaped: loving Medieval and Renaissance, preferring only specific composers in Baroque and Classical, largely losing interest after Schubert, picking up interest with Debussy, liking only specific composers early to mid century and then getting really broadly excited again from Messiaen onward.

Biffo

I voted for almost everything from Middle Renaissance to Serialism. I do have music from the earlier periods but not sure how it fits into the categories given. No idea what Mannerism is and how does Galant differ from Early Classical?

vers la flamme

This will be interesting to see once more members vote.

71 dB

My votes:

Middle Baroque
Late Baroque
Late Romantic
"Contemporary"

I am a newbie with the more modern styles of "classical" music so I voted just "Contemporary" as the terms aren't clear for me (are they clear for anyone?)
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Mahlerian

Quote from: Biffo on May 22, 2020, 01:18:29 AM
I voted for almost everything from Middle Renaissance to Serialism. I do have music from the earlier periods but not sure how it fits into the categories given. No idea what Mannerism is and how does Galant differ from Early Classical?

Mannerism is usually used to refer to the extremely chromatic music of the late Renaissance by composers like Gesualdo, Lassus (sometimes), and others who employed frequent cross-relations and shifts of style, usually for the sake of word painting.

To me, Serialism seems out of place on the list, because it's not a style or era. It's a technique that has been employed by composers across pretty much every school listed since its inception. Perhaps what was meant was "High Modernism," which is usually taken to mean the post-WWII avant-garde in both the US and Europe.
"l do not consider my music as atonal, but rather as non-tonal. I feel the unity of all keys. Atonal music by modern composers admits of no key at all, no feeling of any definite center." - Arnold Schoenberg

71 dB

Quote from: Biffo on May 22, 2020, 01:18:29 AM
How does Galant differ from Early Classical?

I'd say Galant is "simplified" baroque ("baroque light") while Classical style is further away from baroque.
I believe I'm not completely wrong saying C.P.E. Bach is Galant while Johan Christian Bach is Early Classical...  0:)

greg

Current results and my votes in bold.
Wagie wagie get back in the cagie

Sergeant Rock

Late Renaissance
Mannerism
Early Baroque
Late Baroque
Galant style
Early Classical
Middle Classical
Late Classical
Early Romantic
Late Romantic
Post-Romantic
Impressionism
Expressionism
Neoclassicism
Serialism
Neoromanticism
Contemporary
Polystylism
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Mirror Image

I voted for the following: Late Romantic, Post-Romantic, Impressionism, Expressionism, Neoclassicism and Polystylism.

71 dB

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on May 22, 2020, 07:41:04 AM
Late Renaissance
Mannerism
Early Baroque
Late Baroque

Galant style
Early Classical
Middle Classical
Late Classical
Early Romantic
Late Romantic
Post-Romantic
Impressionism
Expressionism
Neoclassicism
Serialism
Neoromanticism
Contemporary
Polystylism

Why not middle baroque? Why the "jump"? As if nothing happened between Schütz and J. S. Bach.  ;D

MusicTurner

All of it, except the three earliest, and the two minimalists (though I'm a bit reluctant to define post-minimalism & might like some).

Biffo

Thanks to Mahlerian and 71db for their contributions. I usually associate Mannerist or Mannerism with painting. I am sure, without having any examples to hand, that I have seen galant also applied to some early(-ish) Mozart (he did come under the influence of J C Bach for time). I suppose none of the terms are very exact.

Jo498

Where would be the dividing lines between gallant style, early classical, "middle classical"? These seem rather fine distinction for about 60 years altogether?
And would "post-romantic" be Mahler or someone keeping to romanticism post WW 1 or even longer?
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Florestan

From Early Baroque to Impressionism. That's 99% of what I listen to.
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Jo498

Quote from: 71 dB on May 22, 2020, 07:54:13 AM
Why not middle baroque? Why the "jump"? As if nothing happened between Schütz and J. S. Bach.  ;D
I voted similarly although I like Purcell a lot who is "middle baroque", so I should probably revise it. But I also tend to listen to either early 17th century (Monteverdi) or ca. 1710-40s baroque (Bach, Handel. Telemann, Zelenka. Vivaldi) and far less to the 60-70 years from the 1630s to 1700.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: 71 dB on May 22, 2020, 07:54:13 AM

I can't really explain it. I know it makes little sense but I rarely listen to composers like Buxtehude.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

71 dB

Quote from: Biffo on May 22, 2020, 08:01:53 AM
Thanks to Mahlerian and 71db for their contributions. I usually associate Mannerist or Mannerism with painting. I am sure, without having any examples to hand, that I have seen galant also applied to some early(-ish) Mozart (he did come under the influence of J C Bach for time). I suppose none of the terms are very exact.

I had never before seen the term Mannerism.

These terms are not exact. I have seen Mozart and Haydn called baroque composers...  :P
Mozart's early works include arrangements of more or less "Galant" composers including C.P.E. Bach so calling early Mozart Galant isn't wrong.
Also, many composers saw the style changing during their creative years.

71 dB

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on May 22, 2020, 08:27:10 AM
I can't really explain it. I know it makes little sense but I rarely listen to composers like Buxtehude.

Sarge

Ok. All I can say is I find middle baroque very interesting and like it a lot. Late baroque masters like J. S. Bach didn't come out of nowhere. They build their style (and knowledge) on the likes of Buxtehude, Bruhns, Kuhnau... ...I suppose you don't own much middle baroque recordings since you rarely listen to that stuff? If you are interested of having "killer" Buxtehude this is great:

[asin]B000003UZ1[/asin]
Sadly it's not easy to get cheap and the prices are high.  :-X