Khatia Buniatishvili

Started by George, August 03, 2011, 08:42:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

George

Heard Khatia Buniatishvili yet?

Here's an interesting interview: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nK18Ur1rJZ4

Watch her play here at Verbier for the next 6 days: http://www.classical-music.com/verbier2011

She's got a CD out (she discusses it in the above interview.) Has anyone heard it?

amazon link
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Herman

I used to love her Schumann Fantaisie as she played it at the Rubinstein Competition 2008. I posted it at the GMG YT room.

Recently I saw her play Prokofiev 7 and Chopin's 4th (?) Ballade at Verbier. 

Not only is she all glammed up these days, tossing her hair so much it's hard to see which side her face is, but also, the way she played the Prokofiev just doesn't make any sense. Why choose a tempo (for the last mvt) at which you can't possibly play the notes? The Chopin wasn't great shakes either.

Another juvenile delinquent hits the dust.

Mandryka

There's a French interview  here where she talks about the evolution of her ideas about the Schumann Fantasie, and other things.

http://lepetitconcertorialiste.blogspot.com/2011/07/rencontre-avec-khatia-buniatishvili.html

Amongst other things she says:

Quand j'ai monté la Fantaisie, j'étais complètement amoureuse de cette partition que je commençais à jouer, et je l'interprétais à l'instinct, avec toute la fraîcheur de la découverte. Au bout d'un certain temps, un an peut-être, j'ai senti que cette fraîcheur disparaissait, et que je jouais moins bien. Je l'ai alors moins jouée, et tenté de redécouvrir l'œuvre, de repartir d'autre chose, de nouveau

Roughly -- very

At first I was completely in love with the Fantasie and I played it instinctively, with all the freshness of a new discovery. At the end of a certain amount of time, maybe a year, I felt that the freshness was going, and that I was playing it less well. So I've  played it less, and I've  tried to rediscover the work, to come at it from a different place, in a new way  "
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Herman

Interesting interview, particularly when she talks about the prevalence of harmony for her (above melody or rhythm).

And at least now we know what kind of lipstick she uses...

Mandryka

Interesting her reticence in replying to his suggestion that her way with the Fantasie has deepened. She's lost confidence there I suspect.

I saw her play it here last year and enjoyed the concert -- I have the BBC concert recording but didn't listen a second time. I'll try to do so today.

Quote from: Herman on August 03, 2011, 08:58:02 AM

Why choose a tempo (for the last mvt) at which you can't possibly play the notes?

A similar comment about the way she played Prokofiev 7 in Paris recently here:

http://lepetitconcertorialiste.blogspot.com/2011/07/petrouchka-waltz-am-spinnrade.html

I haven't heard either the Verbier or the Paris.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

SergeCpp

Khatia Buniatishvili — Das Waldkonzert (2013)

A special concert in a forest near Berlin (see programme in video's info and below in comment there with starting times). Firstly I hear and seen Khatia's playing of 1st piece from this concert (BWV 208) on separate YouTube video and was mesmerized by such wonderfully mixed Bach music, Khatia's playing and that nature (forest and sun). And later I hear in interview that Khatia was mesmerized too — by tiny flying creatures (see image just below).

Waldkonzert preparation & interview

Rachmaninoff Piano Concertos Nos. 2 & 3 — Khatia Buniatishvili

Rachmaninoff: Piano Concerto No. 2 in C Minor, Op. 18 & Piano Concerto No. 3 in D Minor, Op. 30
Piano: Khatia Buniatishvili
Czech Philharmonic Orchestra & Paavo Jarvi
2017 Sony Music Entertainment
Released on: 2017-03-10

Being not a big Rachmaninoff listener or fan I've listened these concertos twice in a row (before and while preparing this post).
There is a strangeness in simple things.

Herman

I used to like her early performance of the Schumann Fantasy at the Rubinstein Competition. I find the new lipstick and cleavage Buniatishvili with all those musical iffy choices unbearable.