Author Topic: Mahnkopf Straße  (Read 48 times)

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
Mahnkopf Straße
« on: May 23, 2020, 02:09:31 AM »
Can I kick this off by asking if anyone can let me have a scan of the booklet for this extraordinary CD, if it contains anything interesting (I like psycho-metaphysical spiritual poetic babble the most.)

Hommage à Kurtag gives the impression of being complicated music, with lots of space, lots of air, lots of opportunity for the gestures to breath, and I like that. I have a feeling that this is music to revisit many times. It feels rich and strange, a challenge and a joy to grasp, like op 131 or Ferneyhough 6.

Mahnkopf's is an original voice as far as know. Yes there may be  intimations of Barraqué - but only slightly (the silences of the sonata, the textures of the concerto.)  Maybe the guitar writing owes something to Ferneyhough - but maybe not.

But I can say this much, if you have the taste for Barraqué and Ferneyhough, this is worth hearing.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2020, 05:22:38 AM by Mandryka »
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
Re: Mahnkopf Straße
« Reply #1 on: Today at 08:46:14 AM »
I have now seen the booklet for the above CD and have learned that Hommage a Kurtag is inspired by Kurtag's  Grabstein für Stephan, which I just heard for the first time in a performance with Abbado at the helm.

What to say. The Kurtag is wonderful and so is the Mahnkopf . . . and the debt that Mahnkopf owes to Kurtag is really palpable. I don't know whether that detracts from his achievement . . . That being said the Kurtag lasts for less than 10 minutes and the Mahnkopf lasts for more than an hour . .  . 

It also turns out that Mahkopf's Kurtag cycle is bigger than the music on the CD, it includes

Hommage a Gydrgy Kurtag for guitar and ensemble
Kurtag-Duo for 2 guitars
Todesmusik I for 2 trumpets, 2 trombones, cimbalom and percussion 
Todesmusik II for 2 trumpets, 2 trombones, cimbalom and 2 percussionists
Hommage a Mark Andre for cimbalom
Kurtag-Cantus I—IV for clarinet in A; piccolo; violin; horn

I'm not sure if all of these pieces are available to hear, Kurtag Cantus II is available here at least

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/TCU6qM28A6g" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/TCU6qM28A6g</a>
« Last Edit: Today at 09:01:34 AM by Mandryka »
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen