Your Top 5 Favorite Weinberg Works

Started by Mirror Image, May 28, 2020, 03:00:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

Moisey wants to know what are your 'Top 5' favorite works of his:

My 'Top 5' for today (in no particular order)

Piano Quintet, Op. 18
String Quartet No. 6, Op. 35
Clarinet Concerto, Op. 104
Symphony No. 3, Op. 45
Violin Sonatina, Op. 46

kyjo

I've barely scratched the surface of his enormous output (I haven't heard any of his SQs yet, for example), but currently:

Cello Concerto (absolutely sublime!)
Piano Quintet (heard it live about a year ago - a powerful experience)
Symphony no. 3
Symphony no. 5
Symphony no. 18 War - there is no word more cruel
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Sergeant Rock

String Quartet No. 5
String Quartet No. 6
Symphony No. 5
Symphony No. 7 (for harpsichord and strings)
Trumpet Concerto
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Symphonic Addict

Symphony No. 10
Symphony No. 5
Piano Quintet
Piano Trio
Cello Sonata No. 2

That's what I can vaguely recall for now.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Daverz

Cello Concerto
Violin Concerto
Clarinet Concerto
Symphony No. 4
Symphony No. 5

vandermolen

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

kyjo

Quote from: vandermolen on June 12, 2020, 08:10:41 PM
Symphonies 1,3,5,6
Piano Quintet

Do you know the eloquent Cello Concerto, Jeffrey? I suspect you'd enjoy it very much.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Mirror Image

Quote from: kyjo on June 12, 2020, 08:12:37 PM
Do you know the eloquent Cello Concerto, Jeffrey? I suspect you'd enjoy it very much.

I'd also say Jeffrey would enjoy the Clarinet Concerto, Flute Concerti Nos. 1 & 2 and the Violin Concerto as well. I know he's heard the Trumpet Concerto before as it came coupled with the 5th symphony with Kondrashin conducting on Russian Disc and this is one of his favorite Weinberg recordings. One of mine as well.

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on June 13, 2020, 06:10:09 AM
I'd also say Jeffrey would enjoy the Clarinet Concerto, Flute Concerti Nos. 1 & 2 and the Violin Concerto as well. I know he's heard the Trumpet Concerto before as it came coupled with the 5th symphony with Kondrashin conducting on Russian Disc and this is one of his favorite Weinberg recordings. One of mine as well.
Thanks John and Kyle. Recommendations noted. I do know the Cello Concerto as it's coupled with Symphony No.1 on Russian Disc and possibly features on one of the Chandos releases as well. Following your comments I intend to listen to it again in the next couple of days.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

amw

String Quartet No.2
String Quartet No.17
Chamber Symphony No.4
Piano Quintet
Violin Concerto and/or Cello Concerto and/or Violin Concertino

I wonder if Weinberg would be better known if his compositions had more catchy titles....

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on June 15, 2020, 01:12:04 AM
Thanks John and Kyle. Recommendations noted. I do know the Cello Concerto as it's coupled with Symphony No.1 on Russian Disc and possibly features on one of the Chandos releases as well. Following your comments I intend to listen to it again in the next couple of days.

Hey Jeffrey, there's a Russian Disc recording of Symphony No. 1 coupled with the Clarinet Concerto? Hmmm...could you link me to it, please? I can't find the recording anywhere on Amazon or elsewhere.