Aside from the famous ones, who is your favorite Soviet composer?

Started by relm1, June 03, 2020, 04:37:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cato

Many thanks for the linguistic discussion on "parsnip," etc.

A performance of the Protopopov Fifth Prelude from the Opus 32 by Valere Burnon:

https://www.youtube.com/v/a2lUACWny6A
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Mirror Image

Quote from: 71 dB on June 13, 2020, 12:40:19 PM
Considering how much I like Weinberg's Symphonies 2, 10, 12, 19, 20 and 21, the ones I own and know it's almost scary to think I haven't even heard the "good stuff" yet.  ??? ;D
I fear I will be disappointed after all this hype especially for the 5th...

It seems like you know the later ones better than I do. Those symphonies I mentioned previously are the ones I know really well.

71 dB

Quote from: Mirror Image on June 13, 2020, 02:03:20 PM
It seems like you know the later ones better than I do. Those symphonies I mentioned previously are the ones I know really well.

I wouldn't say I know any of his Symphonies well. I am still pretty "new" to the composer despite of having discovered him about 5 years ago. That's because I haven't been heavily into classical music, but this year I have been more active and listening also some Weinberg. That's one reason why I am not "hoarding" Weinberg CDs. I haven't listened to those I already have nearly enough!

Also, I have noticed Weinberg's music is "liquid" in the sense that it sounds really good when I listen to it *, but I don't remember much afterworths so it's diffcult to learn the pieces. I just know that when I listen to it I like it.  0:) That's why it's pretty impossible for me to rank the 6 Symphonies I have. I have to listen to them much more. I have over a dozen Weinberg CDs most of it chamber music.

* To me Weinberg isn't so much about memorable melodies or themes, but excellent use of dissonance as "sonic special effects" over otherwise consonant music. That creates for me the great combination of "pleasantness" from consonance and excitement from dissonance.
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Irons

I have a simple test to evaluate the worth (to me) of "unknown" Soviet composers. Invariably I find the pieces interesting, but are they interesting enough to re-listen repeatedly or do they sit like a trophy on my shelves. Eshpai and the conductor/composer Konstantin Ivanov are most worthwhile and bare repeated listening. But the two works above all the others is Bunin's 8th Symphony.

Even better the 24 Preludes for Piano by Tsintsadze played by Gorelashvili from 1971. Which is the one I treasure the most. There is a noisy transfer on YT.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

dhibbard

Roy Bland

springrite

Well, based on the number of CDs I own, then it has to be Veinberg, hands down. As mentioned, his music is not necessarily "memorable" in the sense that you'd remember anything specific in a memorable way, but the overall feel is just fantastic.
The works that I do remember having a strong impact are: Symphonies 5, 10, Cello Sonatas, and the Trumpet Concerto.
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

vandermolen

Quote from: 71 dB on June 13, 2020, 12:40:19 PM
Considering how much I like Weinberg's Symphonies 2, 10, 12, 19, 20 and 21, the ones I own and know it's almost scary to think I haven't even heard the "good stuff" yet.  ??? ;D
I fear I will be disappointed after all this hype especially for the 5th...

Maybe, but try to hear the Kondrashin recording.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on June 15, 2020, 06:04:45 AM

+1 I'd say 71 dB hasn't heard the 5th until he's heard Kondrashin.

71 dB

Quote from: vandermolen on June 15, 2020, 06:04:45 AM

Can't find it in Spotify!!

BUT youtube seems to have i!  :)

MusicTurner

kyjo

Quote from: Mirror Image on June 13, 2020, 12:18:42 PM
Very nice. May I suggest check out the 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th symphonies next. I think you'll really enjoy these.

+1 Weinberg's earlier symphonies are more accessible.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

71 dB

Quote from: kyjo on June 16, 2020, 08:59:43 AM
+1 Weinberg's earlier symphonies are more accessible.

Having heard Weinberg's early (2 & 5), middle (10 & 12)  and late (19-21) Symphonies I would say there has not been accessibility problems for me with any of them! What I am hearing is in the early Symphonies Weinberg's own style isn't that strong yet, for example the 5th felt a bit "Mahlerian" to my ears while the later Symphonies have perhaps more distinctive "Weinberg" -feel to them. I don't know if this is what makes Weinberg's earlier symphonies more accessible to some people?

Wanderer

Quote from: Jo498 on June 06, 2020, 05:22:16 AM
But Medtner's case closely parallels Rachmaninoff in such that he wanted nothing to do with the Soviets and basically left as soon as it was convenient (1921).

True, but, regarding this thread, irrelevant. By the parameters set by the OP, both Rachmaninov* and Medtner are clearly included among the possible options.

*(and Rachmaninov is explicitly excluded by the OP because he's too famous)  ;)

Mirror Image

Quote from: 71 dB on June 16, 2020, 09:26:46 AM
Having heard Weinberg's early (2 & 5), middle (10 & 12)  and late (19-21) Symphonies I would say there has not been accessibility problems for me with any of them! What I am hearing is in the early Symphonies Weinberg's own style isn't that strong yet, for example the 5th felt a bit "Mahlerian" to my ears while the later Symphonies have perhaps more distinctive "Weinberg" -feel to them. I don't know if this is what makes Weinberg's earlier symphonies more accessible to some people?

Weinberg's own style isn't that strong yet? The slow movement of the 5th is incredibly powerful and moved me to tears. Have you heard Kondrashin's performance of the 5th? If you haven't, then you don't know this symphony at all.

71 dB

Quote from: Mirror Image on June 16, 2020, 09:50:26 AM
Weinberg's own style isn't that strong yet? The slow movement of the 5th is incredibly powerful and moved me to tears. Have you heard Kondrashin's performance of the 5th? If you haven't, then you don't know this symphony at all.

Yes. I have listened to IT alright.  :D

71 dB

Quote from: Mirror Image on June 16, 2020, 05:14:08 PM
???

As I said, it's not on Spotify, but it is on Youtube. I listened to it on Monday.
The recorded sound is what it is and the performance is good. Symphony itself is good. Gave me Mahlerian vibes for some reason.

Mirror Image

Quote from: 71 dB on June 16, 2020, 06:27:07 PM
As I said, it's not on Spotify, but it is on Youtube. I listened to it on Monday.
The recorded sound is what it is and the performance is good. Symphony itself is good. Gave me Mahlerian vibes for some reason.

Ah okay. 8) Very good, 71 dB.