USA Politics

Started by Que, June 09, 2020, 10:18:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Que

Dear forum members,

The moderators have decided to create and enforce a SINGLE thread on USA Politics.
This thread will cover all discussions on political developments, movements, and personalities in the United States of America.

GENERAL REMARKS:
This forum is first and foremost a classical music forum and community.
The Diner offers an opportunity for members to talk also about other topics than classical music, including politics.
But what binds us and which is the purpose of this forum, is an interest in classical music.
Those who show no or little interest in participating in the classical music discussons on this forum and whose sole or main focus is on discussing politics - consider pursuing that interest elsewhere.

We are looking for a way to make genuine, civil and intelligent discussions on US politics still possible, while maintaining a positive and cordial atmosphere between our members and without the noise, superficiality, disingenuity and animosity that have marked some of these discussions.

GUIDELINES:
1. All discussions on USA politics are to be conducted in this thread.
Any other post on USA politics, inside or outside The Diner, will be deleted immediately.
2. All discussions are to be conducted in a civil manner.
From the general forum guidelines:
Please treat other members [...] with courtesy and respect. [...] do not make personal attacks, belittle, make fun of, or insult another member.
2. Trolling will not be tolerated.
From the general forum guidelines:
A forum troll is someone who intentionally posts derogatory or inflammatory messages [...] with the deliberate intent to bait users into responding. This can range from very subtle jibes to outright personal attacks. [...] do not try to deliberately provoke another member into an ill-natured argument.
3. ALL posts are to contribute to a genuine and meaningful discussion. Posts need to contain a personal explanation or position. Posts with just or mainly links or quotes are not allowed. Posts need to be on topic and without comments on other members.
4. Any questionable posts will be deleted and the moderating decisions to that effect are not open for discussion or correspondence.

The moderators

drogulus

QuoteALL post are to contribute to a genuine and meaningful discussion. Post need to contain a personal explanation or position. Posts with just or mainly links or quotes are not allowed.

I'm not understanding how this is supposed to work. Comments with links and quotes are some of the most informative and useful, and that definitely include comments consisting only of quotes and links to support or argue against prior comments. The last sentence is IMV inconsistent with the intent of the preceding ones.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

bhodges

Quote from: drogulus on June 09, 2020, 10:47:32 AM
     I'm not understanding how this is supposed to work. Comments with links and quotes are some of the most informative and useful, and that definitely include comments consisting only of quotes and links to support or argue against prior comments. The last sentence is IMV inconsistent with the intent of the preceding ones.

Posts with links should have comments accompanying the links. Posts that consist of only links will be deleted.

--Bruce

drogulus

Quote from: Brewski on June 09, 2020, 11:14:05 AM
Posts with links should have comments accompanying the links. Posts that consist of only links will be deleted.

--Bruce

Yes, you restated what I quoted. I was hoping for an explanation.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

Brian

Guessing/hoping this will eventually be un-stickied once everyone gets the hang of it?

bhodges

Quote from: drogulus on June 09, 2020, 11:51:02 AM
     Yes, you restated what I quoted. I was hoping for an explanation.

Sorry, I misunderstood.

We don't want exchanges of links back and forth as "arguments." If a link is posted, well, tell people what you think of it, or how it has influenced you. There's a tendency to just lob quotes back and forth, with no meaningful discussion, and that's what we want to discourage.

Hope this is helpful.

--Bruce

Karl Henning

Trump pushes unfounded conspiracy theory about 75-year-old Buffalo protester

Quote from: By CAROLYN THOMPSON and JILL COLVIN of The Associated PressWASHINGTON (AP) — President Donald Trump on Tuesday advanced an unfounded conspiracy theory about a 75-year-old protester in Buffalo, New York, who was pushed down by police officers, tweeting without evidence that the confrontation may have been a "set up."

Any of our resident Trumpkins care to comment?
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

drogulus

Quote from: Brewski on June 09, 2020, 01:42:47 PM
Sorry, I misunderstood.

We don't want exchanges of links back and forth as "arguments." If a link is posted, well, tell people what you think of it, or how it has influenced you. There's a tendency to just lob quotes back and forth, with no meaningful discussion, and that's what we want to discourage.

Hope this is helpful.

--Bruce

No, it's awful, even worse than I imagined, this site is the pits, I'm outta here OK that makes sense.

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on June 09, 2020, 01:55:40 PM

That old guy should have been arrested for spilling a potentially dangerous chemical on a public thoroughfare.

Todd

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on June 09, 2020, 01:55:40 PM

Out of curiosity, does the above quoted post meet the strictures of the below rule?

Quote from: Que on June 09, 2020, 10:18:46 AM
3. ALL posts are to contribute to a genuine and meaningful discussion. Posts need to contain a personal explanation or position. Posts with just or mainly links or quotes are not allowed. Posts need to be on topic and without comments on other members.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

drogulus

Silence is consent.

I'd like to philosophize on the arbitrary nature of rule parameters but I have to shampoo the iguana.

Karl Henning

Well today's election in Georgia was a hot mess.  Does not bode well for November.  Yet another issue where having a Putin stooge in the White House Trümpfenbunker is a monumentally bad idea.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

arpeggio

Good idea.  It is nice to consolidate everything into one thread.

drogulus

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on June 09, 2020, 03:15:03 PM
Well today's election in Georgia was a hot mess.  Does not bode well for November.  Yet another issue where having a Putin stooge in the White House Trümpfenbunker is a monumentally bad idea.

It's Chinatown, Jake. Georgia was the only place where an attempt was made to do industrial strength mail vote fraud, and the Repubs were caught.

greg

Quote from: arpeggio on June 09, 2020, 03:55:08 PM
Good idea.  It is nice to consolidate everything into one thread.
I think this thread is a good idea as well. Pointless to have multiple threads on the same thing.
Wagie wagie get back in the cagie

drogulus

Quote from: Dowder on June 09, 2020, 05:20:56 PM
One reason I'd like to see Pence as president, less tweeting.

Anyways, the Buffalo mayor said a few days ago that he was a trouble maker, causing problems.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/501500-buffalo-mayor-says-protester-tackled-by-state-police%3famp

Perhaps the most disturbing thing about that link is that 57 officers resigned from the emergency response team due to the two getting suspended. Do you think that is a good outcome, Karl?

Should they be allowed to return?

Quote from: greg on June 09, 2020, 05:16:43 PM
I think this thread is a good idea as well. Pointless to have multiple threads on the same thing.

Yeah, we're not doing video encoding.

Karl Henning

QuoteOne reason I'd like to see Pence as president, less tweeting.

That is the most oblique, cautious suggestion I've seen yet, that with a certain elected official: tweeting = wanking
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

"The Post reports, "The U.S. economy officially entered a recession in February, according to the National Bureau of Economic Research, which announced that a 128-month expansion officially ended then. The expansion, which had begun in June 2009 after a recession, was the longest on record." It should be noted that this happened before most business shutdowns occurred. While the pandemic indisputably plunged the economy further into recession, the Obama recovery — which President Trump conveniently ignored — ended on Trump's watch."

Thanks, Obama!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

JBS

Quote from: Dowder on June 09, 2020, 05:20:56 PM

Perhaps the most disturbing thing about that link is that 57 officers resigned from the emergency response team due to the two getting suspended. Do you think that is a good outcome, Karl?

The disturbing thing about that aspect turns out to be the police union.

Apparently the true reason those 57 resigned from the special team [they did resign from the Buffalo PD] was that the police union decided that it would no longer do what police unions routinely do:  defend them if they were disciplined in any way or sued.  The 57 decided that left them too vulnerable.  But the union then told everyone that the 57 had resigned as a demonstration of support for the two cops who had been arrested. Which falsehood amounted to adding insult to injury.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

arpeggio