USA Politics

Started by Que, June 09, 2020, 10:18:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Herman

All this talk (here) about cancel culture, master bedrooms and political correctness on campuses strikes me as a massive case of whataboutism.

Like Trump bringing up "Merry Christmas" whenever he's out of material.

I would think the upcoming elections are about continuing a highly corrupt and inept Trump administration or not. Master bedrooms will remain the same, even if we were to call them the "big bedroom" henceforth.

milk

Quote from: Herman on June 29, 2020, 11:53:11 PM
All this talk (here) about cancel culture, master bedrooms and political correctness on campuses strikes me as a massive case of whataboutism.

Like Trump bringing up "Merry Christmas" whenever he's out of material.

I would think the upcoming elections are about continuing a highly corrupt and inept Trump administration or not. Master bedrooms will remain the same, even if we were to call them the "big bedroom" henceforth.
Tump has got to go. He's a menace in so many ways. America needs to reaffirm it's commitment to its traditional allies and to global stability. China needs to be countered. We need to work on environmental issues. Plus, the Supreme Court and circuit courts need to be balanced and Obamacare needs protecting.
But, will dems be ready to deliver something to people should they get the presidency, the Senate and the House? I hope so.

Herman

Quote from: milk on June 30, 2020, 02:35:35 AM

But, will dems be ready to deliver something to people should they get the presidency, the Senate and the House? I hope so.

Well, naturally they would be able to deliver sanity and professionalism in the WH cabinet, instead of business pals, "no poor people" and "Central Casting".

If the Dems got both houses they could undo a lot of damage, but I wouldn't yet count on flipping the Senate.

Todd

Quote from: Daverz on June 29, 2020, 11:29:33 PM...Nike...

Nike is in the fortunate bi-partisan position of facing wrath from left and right alike.  The closest protests have come to where I live are the demonstrations at the Nike World Headquarters a couple weeks ago.  The protestors were protesting something about racial something.  They said stuff.  There were signs.  It meant something.  Or something.

The left is in a full-blown moral panic focused on race and fueled by unemployment caused by pandemic, and stoked further by a sensationalist press.  When the moral panic subsides, just about after the election, we will get to witness the fine art of the slow-walk, as legislators and bureaucrats fail to live up their promises.  The discontent on the left will be delightful.  Because this time is different, etc.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

BasilValentine

Quote from: Todd on June 30, 2020, 04:07:20 AM

Nike is in the fortunate bi-partisan position of facing wrath from left and right alike.  The closest protests have come to where I live are the demonstrations at the Nike World Headquarters a couple weeks ago.  The protestors were protesting something about racial something.  They said stuff.  There were signs.  It meant something.  Or something.

The left is in a full-blown moral panic focused on race and fueled by unemployment caused by pandemic, and stoked further by a sensationalist press.  When the moral panic subsides, just about after the election, we will get to witness the fine art of the slow-walk, as legislators and bureaucrats fail to live up their promises.  The discontent on the left will be delightful.  Because this time is different, etc.

We all need something to look forward to,
For some, even something pathetic will do.
When our clown hero's chances have all but died
Remember: gloating deferred is gloating denied.

greg

Quote from: Daverz on June 29, 2020, 10:36:07 PM
For someone who is not a conservative, you seem to be very animated by all the stereotypical right wing culture war resentments.  And all this stuff you whine about is a huge nothingburger, just another reactionary moral panic with no substance.   
I wish this were true. But it's all too common to see examples.

Like the most recent one, Angry Joe from youtube. His accuser ended up deleting the accusations like nothing happened. "Believe all women." Would be great in an ideal world. But we don't live in one.
Wagie wagie get back in the cagie

Karl Henning

Quote from: drogulus on June 29, 2020, 07:12:25 PM
Twenty some years later, socially constructed truth has been taken over by Trumpists and by golly, they've made objective knowledge their enemy in just about every way they can.

As indeed we witness right here.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Christo

I found last month's assessment of the present American condition by the editor in chief of the Thai Inquirer very helpful:

https://www.thaienquirer.com/13861/foreign-affairs-unrest-continues-for-a-seventh-day-in-former-british-colony
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

geralmar

Karl Henning

Fauci testifies new coronavirus cases could 'go up to 100,000 a day if this does not turn around'

Anyone see it "turning around" with the current POTUS & Veep?—Flush that turd on November Third.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Daverz

Quote from: milk on June 29, 2020, 11:26:54 PM
I try not to accuse people here of anything, though I'm sure I have in the past. Anyway, as I said before, I've recently been interested in a spectrum of voices on this, including Glenn Loury and John McWhorter. Both of them are very worried, though I don't think I'm panicking yet. They might be. I don't think my views have ever been conservative: Pro-gay marriage, pro-national healthcare, pro-tax-the-wealthy, pro-campaign finance, Pro-choice, anti-death penalty, pro-gun control...I thought Obama was a great president. I don't see that I'm particularly conservative. Yes, I think the woke stuff is bunk.   

Sorry I was so testy.  The whole "anti-SJW" thing really annoys me.  No, blue-haired teenage SJWs at Oberlin are not going to destroy masculinity and Western Civilisation.  The world has more pressing problems.

André

Quote from: Christo on June 30, 2020, 08:54:15 AM
I found last month's assessment of the present American condition by the editor in chief of the Thai Inquirer very helpful:

https://www.thaienquirer.com/13861/foreign-affairs-unrest-continues-for-a-seventh-day-in-former-british-colony

Religious fundamentalism and minority suppression has long been a problem in the former British colony (...) The United States has had a long history of suppressing and persecuting its various ethnic minorities.  American black minority groups were under a program similar to South Africa's Apartheid policy until as recently as 1964. Today, the ethnic black community is still detained and killed with impunity by the state security forces and black Americans make up the majority of those incarcerated under the country's archaic judicial system

From Bangkok, with love...

greg

Quote from: Daverz on June 30, 2020, 04:10:44 PM
Sorry I was so testy.  The whole "anti-SJW" thing really annoys me.  No, blue-haired teenage SJWs at Oberlin are not going to destroy masculinity and Western Civilisation.  The world has more pressing problems.
It's harder to see the increasing damages if you are on, or close to, their side (aka not in the path or destruction).

greg

Quote from: Dowder on June 30, 2020, 06:10:07 PM
Yeah, the racial friction is so bad that millions and millions of Asians, Hispanics and Africans try to immigrate here. In the words of Arpeggio: bogus!
Well if certain people get their way and the US becomes a communist country in the next 10 to 20 years, then they will have done the work of the far right racists for them: they will discourage immigrants from coming here, reducing the cultural diversity in the long run.  :P

Karl Henning

Quote from: Dowder on June 30, 2020, 06:10:07 PM
Yeah, the racial friction is so bad that millions and millions of Asians, Hispanics and Africans try to immigrate here. In the words of Arpeggio: bogus!

Ah, what passes for "argument" among some.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

arpeggio

Quote from: Dowder on June 30, 2020, 06:30:23 PM
Not all racists are on the far right. I suppose the left wing ones in that situation will white flight themselves to Canada or Asia.

Another so what.  Common sense dictates that out of three hundred million, there are a few hundred thousand liberals who are racist.  I admitted I used to be one.  I admitted that in earlier posts and how serving in the US Army changed me.

Provide us with a list of current liberals who are racist and we will have no problem denouncing them.

arpeggio

Quote from: Dowder on June 30, 2020, 07:48:59 PM
If I added the "POC" who are racist expect the numbers to increase. (Maybe America is an equal opportunity country in so far as racism?)

However, it's usually the white ones who flee like a bat out of hell when 'there goes the neighborhood.'

What is "POC"? 

greg

Quote from: arpeggio on June 30, 2020, 08:34:17 PM
What is "POC"?
Point of Contact
ahem, sorry... not at work any more...
it's "People of Color"