USA Politics

Started by Que, June 09, 2020, 10:18:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

71 dB

Quote from: drogulus on August 01, 2020, 09:45:37 AM
     Welcome back, I think.

Your 25% figure is awfully low. I think you made it up.
Thanks!

Well, it's difficult to draw the line of who is too far gone and who isn't. How far gone must you be? My 25 % figure is my mental picture of the US population and how 1/4 of it seems to be detached from reality. Maybe it's 27.2 % Maybe it's even 31.1 % Who cares? My mental image is still pretty accurate... ...some say 1/3 of Americans have lost it, put I try to be generous to Americans and say "only" 1/4 are TFGs.
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

71 dB

Quote from: Todd on August 01, 2020, 09:34:56 AM
Made-up statistics are the best statistics.  87.2% of people know that.

Would you prefer "A portion of Americans are too far gones, but I don't give any estimate, because I don't want to use make-up statistics."?

BasilValentine

The Lincoln Project's ads are getting surreal. Here's a new one: Impotus Americanus:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8x1-CVsoEBU

71 dB

Quote from: steve ridgway on August 01, 2020, 09:48:44 AM
Stay sane :-\.

Well, I have Haydn's Op. 20 for sanity-restoring escapism...  0:)

Now my escapism is snooker: Mark Williams vs Alan McManus.

JBS

Quote from: 71 dB on August 01, 2020, 10:07:11 AM
Thanks!

Well, it's difficult to draw the line of who is too far gone and who isn't. How far gone must you be? My 25 % figure is my mental picture of the US population and how 1/4 of it seems to be detached from reality. Maybe it's 27.2 % Maybe it's even 31.1 % Who cares? My mental image is still pretty accurate... ...some say 1/3 of Americans have lost it, put I try to be generous to Americans and say "only" 1/4 are TFGs.

In theory it's easy. Find a poll that tracks the percentage of voters who strongly approve of Trump, then add the percentage of hard core leftists who think there is no difference between Biden and Trump. You have the answer.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

drogulus

Quote from: 71 dB on August 01, 2020, 09:58:33 AM
When they finally say something, I have known it for weeks or even months thanks to following the American independent lefty outlets and they never address the corruption in the US.

Maybe it's different over there. I've always found it perfectly easy to adopt fringe-y views from a solid mainstream base of news-gatherers. You go where the information is densest and do your own processing. Where do you think most of the fringe information comes from anyway? If you want to know what the mainsteam "is not telling you" you have to find it in the mainstream, because that's where true stuff is reported. I reject with maximum severity the notion that one must form heterodoxical views (or any doxical) on a diet of high dudgeon, low information sources.

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

Karl Henning

Quote from: steve ridgway on August 01, 2020, 09:48:44 AM
LOL it's a morbidly interesting thread in terms of watching a civilisation tear itself apart but I don't know if there are any solutions. Stay sane :-\.

+ 1
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

SimonNZ

Quote from: 71 dB on August 01, 2020, 04:05:32 AM
. So, don't expect the same 71 dB you saw before my "hiatus."

But straight out of the gate you're running through all your greatest hits.

Herman

greg

Quote from: 71 dB on August 01, 2020, 04:53:28 AM
Looks like you have similar IQ score to me, but what I have learned is high IQ is not a quarantee of anything in politics *. How do we define "correct conclusions" ? Which patterns are we supposed to recognize? In US politics people can't even agree about the facts (everything is about "propaganda" and "hoaxes") let alone what a society is and what it's function and goals are. Does your conclusions lead to the goals you want to reach? If they do then you conclusions are correct, but we don't necessorily agree about the goals. If you say 2+2=4 and I say 2+3=5, we have different answers, but we both did our math correctly. It's just that you think 2+2 is the math to do while I think 2+3 is to be calculated, because we have different goals. That's because our life experiences are totally different and we had totally different parents indocrinating us, we went different schools (in different countries!) so that we have ended up with differing views about what the goals of politics are and that leads to different conclusions. 

* The actor James Woods had near-perfect SAT scores, and an IQ of 184, but somehow his political views tend to be surprisingly moronic. Or how about this: Is it intelligent as an politician to take bribes and do the bidding of your donors? Is it stupid to turn down corporate donors and serve the regular people instead? How high IQ do you need to want the best for other people, or is politics just about serving yourself?
A lot of questions here, pretty good ones IMO.

* The actor James Woods had near-perfect SAT scores, and an IQ of 184, but somehow his political views tend to be surprisingly moronic. Or how about this: Is it intelligent as an politician to take bribes and do the bidding of your donors? Is it stupid to turn down corporate donors and serve the regular people instead? How high IQ do you need to want the best for other people, or is politics just about serving yourself?
Seems to be a morality issue more than anything.
For the actor, the thing is, I've also wondered why really smart people believe really dumb things sometimes... it may be the perspective of choosing to approach politics or religion 80%+ from the heart, and only 20% from the brain.
That's great for creative things, like writing music- I take that approach, of course. But for politics, to me it's about finding truth, so it's reversed- more like 80% brain and 20% heart. Perhaps even that is unbalanced. Maybe it should be 50/50?   

Quote from: 71 dB on August 01, 2020, 04:53:28 AM
Looks like you have similar IQ score to me, but what I have learned is high IQ is not a quarantee of anything in politics *. How do we define "correct conclusions" ? Which patterns are we supposed to recognize? In US politics people can't even agree about the facts (everything is about "propaganda" and "hoaxes") let alone what a society is and what it's function and goals are. Does your conclusions lead to the goals you want to reach?
For conclusions/patterns, to me it's about whatever is proposed... like recognizing if a new idea sounds good on paper but in practice would be destructive.

I think there could be some element of basic needs that 99% of the population would agree on, because it's basic survival stuff. And recognizing what would support that or not is important. Sometimes the road to certain things are not so straightforward...

Correct conclusions mostly will be found out afterwards, when it's all said and done, and society is either better off or burned to ground.   ;D
Wagie wagie get back in the cagie

71 dB

Quote from: JBS on August 01, 2020, 10:26:36 AM
In theory it's easy. Find a poll that tracks the percentage of voters who strongly approve of Trump, then add the percentage of hard core leftists who think there is no difference between Biden and Trump. You have the answer.

Hardly anyone on the left says there is no difference between Biden and Trump, but there are plenty of people who are unwilling to vote for either of them. On many things  Biden and Trump are practically the same. For example legalizing marihuana. Both are against it so practically the same. Both are against medicare for all (Trump used to be for medicare for all in the past long before running for president but the insurance companies have put him in check). Or how about wars overseas? In fact Trump is perhaps more likely to withdraw troops home so in this particular aspect Trump might be actually better than Biden, but then again there's more things were Biden is better than Trump so that Biden is the lesser of the two evils for the left.

If you think the left is so small minority you can ignore it then IGNORE it and stop crying about a portion of the left not voting for Biden. If you think the left is so large of the group to make a difference in elections maybe you should start listening to the left and what lefties want? Give something. Then you can expect lefties to support you. Biden is expecting the support of the left while giving almost nothing to vote for. The left is sick and tired of the "Vote for me because I am less shitty than the other dude" game.

greg

This one is too good. But if someone has a problem with the message, don't start attacking me.

When Wokes and Racists Actually Agree on Everything
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ev373c7wSRg
Wagie wagie get back in the cagie

JBS

Quote from: 71 dB on August 01, 2020, 01:05:00 PM
Hardly anyone on the left says there is no difference between Biden and Trump, but there are plenty of people who are unwilling to vote for either of them. On many things  Biden and Trump are practically the same. For example legalizing marihuana. Both are against it so practically the same. Both are against medicare for all (Trump used to be for medicare for all in the past long before running for president but the insurance companies have put him in check). Or how about wars overseas? In fact Trump is perhaps more likely to withdraw troops home so in this particular aspect Trump might be actually better than Biden, but then again there's more things were Biden is better than Trump so that Biden is the lesser of the two evils for the left.

If you think the left is so small minority you can ignore it then IGNORE it and stop crying about a portion of the left not voting for Biden. If you think the left is so large of the group to make a difference in elections maybe you should start listening to the left and what lefties want? Give something. Then you can expect lefties to support you. Biden is expecting the support of the left while giving almost nothing to vote for. The left is sick and tired of the "Vote for me because I am less shitty than the other dude" game.

I've seen a few people on Twitter who express on Twitter the sentiment I referred to, including (just today) one guy who said Biden is "hard right".  I don't know how widespread that is, which is why I made no attempt to say how many adhere to it.  But I do think it is proper to point out the delusions the Left is prone to, and their inability to accept anything other than total compliance with their demands.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Karl Henning

As one chap tweeted: "Joe Biden is an intelligent, competent & humane leader. When the rest of the world sees American liberals tweeting that Joe Biden isn't exciting, we look at you as if there's a plane on its way to rescue you from a warzone and you're complaining there won't be wine on the flight."
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

71 dB

Quote from: JBS on August 01, 2020, 02:06:57 PM
I've seen a few people on Twitter who express on Twitter the sentiment I referred to, including (just today) one guy who said Biden is "hard right".  I don't know how widespread that is, which is why I made no attempt to say how many adhere to it.  But I do think it is proper to point out the delusions the Left is prone to, and their inability to accept anything other than total compliance with their demands.

Biden is pretty "right wing". By all means list his "left wing" ideas. I mentioned one: Banning death penalty, but that's pretty much it. If you have more I am all ears. The left can accept compromises, but there aren't any!

Medicare for all? NO!
How about "free" education? NO!
How about legalizing marihuana? NO!
How about ending wars? NO!
How about cutting military budget by 10 %? NO!
How about UBI for the duration of the coronavirus? NO!

Corporates are the ones who don't accept anything other than total compliance with their demands of the keeping  status quo.

Herman

Hate to say it, but you could've written this three months ago....

71 dB

Quote from: Herman on August 02, 2020, 12:49:30 AM
Hate to say it, but you could've written this three months ago....

What did you expect? My opinions are the same. What is different is my attitude. I don't attack others, call people idiots etc.