USA Politics

Started by Que, June 09, 2020, 10:18:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

greg

Quote from: Todd on October 22, 2020, 05:44:52 AM
When pseudo-intellectuals use the phrase or one of its derivatives, they really mean that Democrats are morally good and intellectually honest, and that when Dems engage in a specific action or use a specific argument, it is wholesome and right.  When dastardly Republicans do it, it is vile and wrong and dishonest.  You will see said pseudo-intellectuals attempt to use logicians' phrases like "false equivalence" or "moral equivalence", or whatnot.
This concept isn't just for this phrase, this sums up partisan politics in a nutshell. Tribalism 101 here.

Part of the problem may be that some groups are actually bad, so if you recontextualize some things then it can turn negative. So there could be some legitimacy to this generally, but not in the sense of Republicans/Democrats, because to just think that all of them are bad is retarded.

I really wish people could detach from their tribes/groups, in order to be able to look for the truth more freely, without having their tribal/philosophical/religious filter applied to their vision. But when you try to question attached people, usually they will make it personal and view you as some sort of devil just for trying to find the truth.
Wagie wagie get back in the cagie

drogulus

Quote from: greg on October 22, 2020, 08:00:56 AM

I really wish people could detach from their tribes/groups, in order to be able to look for the truth more freely, without having their tribal/philosophical/religious filter applied to their vision.

People do that all the time, but consider also that filters can be open or closed to disconfirmation of beliefs.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

flyingdutchman

Quote from: Todd on October 18, 2020, 05:51:31 AM

Except Trump has not packed the court.  The phrase and concept eludes many/most/all lefties.  Trump and McConnell have followed constitutionally and statutorily prescribed processes to fill judicial vacancies.  McConnell arrived at a novel approach to blocking a SCOTUS nominee in 2016, so now nominees can get either Borked or Garlanded when they get screwed over for purely political reasons. 

Packing the court is when sore loser lefties - and it is always sore loser lefties - attempt to use legislative means to increase the number of justices to meet a preferred outcome - a majority.  FDR tried this in the 30s when the mean old justices then on the bench disagreed with his executive branch power grab.  Even he failed.  (There is some question whether he really wanted to succeed, or if he just wanted a more pliable court, which he ended up with.)  Lefties want to do it again today.  Lefties are sore losers.  And they are hilariously inept.  Ro Khanna and assorted Dem hangers-on are engaging in a silly attempt to legislatively limit SCOTUS justice terms.  Apparently, Khanna and crew forgot to read the actual Constitution.  Either that, or they do know the Constitution and are merely grandstanding.  I guess that would make them cynical.  Hmm.  (Best case from a lefty standpoint is that they are wishful thinkers since the premise of the legislation is that SCOTUS justices be reassigned to lower courts, thereby adhering to the good behavior clause.  Good luck on that one.)

But let's play a fun game.  If Dems succeed under a Super-Creepy 46 administration, and pack the court, a future Republican government will have several avenues to limit the damage the unelected body can do.  They could pack the court again, bringing it to an unruly size, rendering even procedural decisions unnecessarily difficult.  That would be a good outcome.  They could limit appellate jurisdiction.  That would definitely be a good outcome.  They could limit SCOTUS session lengths.  That could be nearly paralyzing in some instances, resulting in conflicting lower court rulings on various matters.  That would be a delightful outcome.  This would all be made much, much easier if Dems abolish the legislative filibuster. 

So it would be a very good thing if Dems sweep in a couple weeks, eliminate the legislative filibuster, and pack the court. 

Go Dems!

Dems like me don't care what you think. We're just following the "good" example of Moscow Mitch. When it comes time to pack the courts, we'll just tell the GOP to go eff themselves.

drogulus

If Biden endorses a court reform package with buy-in from some Repubs that might make it more difficult for Repubs to throw it away if they ever get unified government behind a white power platform. These days Repubs are acting as though this is the last chance for the Lost Cause.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

Todd

Quote from: flyingdutchman on October 22, 2020, 08:41:31 AMWhen it comes time to pack the courts, we'll just tell the GOP to go eff themselves.

I hope so.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

flyingdutchman

Quote from: Todd on October 22, 2020, 09:39:01 AM
I hope so.

Again, we don't care what GOP lackeys like you think. Moscow Mitch and you didn't care what we thought and we certainly don't care what you think what's right or wrong here. Packing the lower courts with woefully poor rightwing judges that don't reflect the majority of the US is a clear middle finger to most of the US.

Todd

Quote from: flyingdutchman on October 22, 2020, 10:22:23 AMAgain, we don't care what GOP lackeys like you think.

You care enough to respond and repeat yourself. 

Todd

Florestan

Quote from: Todd on October 22, 2020, 05:44:52 AM
When pseudo-intellectuals use the phrase or one of its derivatives, they really mean that Democrats are morally good and intellectually honest, and that when Dems engage in a specific action or use a specific argument, it is wholesome and right.  When dastardly Republicans do it, it is vile and wrong and dishonest.  You will see said pseudo-intellectuals attempt to use logicians' phrases like "false equivalence" or "moral equivalence", or whatnot.

If I may put in in an international perspective: I'm sure that one could find examples of USA interfering in other nations' elections, by various means, in order to secure the victory of their prefered candidate.  ;D
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Todd

Quote from: Florestan on October 22, 2020, 11:51:46 AM
If I may put in in an international perspective: I'm sure that one could find examples of USA interfering in other nations' elections, by various means, in order to secure the victory of their prefered candidate.  ;D

Nope.  Americans are the good guys!

Florestan

Quote from: Todd on October 22, 2020, 11:54:36 AM

Nope.  Americans are the good guys!

Let's say that for me personally they are less bad than the Russians and I'd rather live under USA's hegemony than under Russia's --- which is why I strongly support NATO and the existing international order. But I entertain no illusions whatsoever about the morality and the goodwill of the US foreign policy: they do what each and every great power before them did and what each and every great power after them will do.
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

flyingdutchman

Quote from: Dowder on October 22, 2020, 01:38:37 PM
I'm sure you're just waiting to open the gulags here, comrade.

And I'm sure you're going to vote often too, like Donald tells you to.

Beyond that, I can see the Hitler youth in you as you push for an authoritarian state as pushed by Dear Leader Donald. You a Proud Boy too?

flyingdutchman

Quote from: Dowder on October 22, 2020, 01:43:56 PM
People still buy into that hope and change propaganda.  :-X

Better than ignorance as pushed by Donald, The Dear Leader.

flyingdutchman

I'm sure with Amy Coney Barrett installed next week as an associate justice, it will be the dream of you and Dear Leader to assure his election.

Karl Henning

Mary Trump: Psychiatrists know what's wrong with my uncle. Let them tell voters.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

flyingdutchman

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on October 22, 2020, 03:12:24 PM
Mary Trump: Psychiatrists know what's wrong with my uncle. Let them tell voters.

Anyone with an open mind can tell what's wrong with Crazy Don

Karl Henning

Yes, the pathetic bullshitter
https://www.youtube.com/v/i2yfA5cUwnk

Note the two hands for the water glass
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Quote from: flyingdutchman on October 22, 2020, 03:14:26 PM
Anyone with an open mind can tell what's wrong with Crazy Don

There is that, too.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

The U.S. has hit 100% of total 2016 early voting

At least 47.1 million have voted nationwide, and there are still 12 days until Election Day

On the other hand some sloths in human shape cannot be bothered even do the research and exercise their right.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA