Author Topic: Avant garde music for that piece of furniture called a piano.  (Read 6645 times)

Offline mabuse

Re: Avant garde music for that piece of furniture called a piano.
« Reply #80 on: July 06, 2021, 12:02:44 PM »
Sorry if slightly OT, but here's a funny jazz story (emphasis and [...] added):

...But there was one Blue Note Pete La Roca album, Basra. Steve Kuhn [the pianist on Basra] is a wonderful pianist who played with Pete in John Coltrane’s tremendous band with Steve Davis on bass. I saw that quartet often at the Jazz Gallery. Eventually Steve, Pete and I played a lot together and made a few records. Three Waves was Kuhn’s trio date, while Art Farmer’s Sing Me Softly of the Blues has a wonderful rendition of the Carla Bley title track. But the record most people know today is Basra.
“One of the tunes on Basra was ‘Lazy Afternoon,’ a tender ballad. We were in full flight, mid-take, with our eyes closed, when Kuhn reached inside the piano to pluck a chord. There were immediate loud and abrupt noises over the P.A. Rudy [legendary recording engineer Rudy Van Gelder] came running out to the room in the middle of the take and angrily told Kuhn, ‘If you touch those strings again, this date is over.’ We were all sitting there pinned to our seats with our eyes bugged out.

https://jazztimes.com/features/columns/steve-swallow-pete-la-roca/

Great story. Thanks, T.D.
I remember also once a jazz connoisseur told some stuff about how Alfred Lion was not really a nice person... (I forgot the details)
The guys weren't as progressive as we might imagine.

Anyway, I love this album, Basra.
And Sing Me Softly of the Blues is my favorite Art Farmer's album.

Offline torut

• Veteran member
Re: Avant garde music for that piece of furniture called a piano.
« Reply #81 on: July 06, 2021, 12:14:18 PM »
Sorry if slightly OT, but here's a funny jazz story (emphasis and [...] added):

...But there was one Blue Note Pete La Roca album, Basra. Steve Kuhn [the pianist on Basra] is a wonderful pianist who played with Pete in John Coltrane’s tremendous band with Steve Davis on bass. I saw that quartet often at the Jazz Gallery. Eventually Steve, Pete and I played a lot together and made a few records. Three Waves was Kuhn’s trio date, while Art Farmer’s Sing Me Softly of the Blues has a wonderful rendition of the Carla Bley title track. But the record most people know today is Basra.
“One of the tunes on Basra was ‘Lazy Afternoon,’ a tender ballad. We were in full flight, mid-take, with our eyes closed, when Kuhn reached inside the piano to pluck a chord. There were immediate loud and abrupt noises over the P.A. Rudy [legendary recording engineer Rudy Van Gelder] came running out to the room in the middle of the take and angrily told Kuhn, ‘If you touch those strings again, this date is over.’ We were all sitting there pinned to our seats with our eyes bugged out.

https://jazztimes.com/features/columns/steve-swallow-pete-la-roca/

That is an interesting story. I read that Burton Greene was the first jazz pianist who directly played the piano strings on record (probably around 1966), adapting the idea of Henry Cowell. He called it piano harp. He also played prepared piano with golf balls and other objects. If Rudy Van Gelder allowed it, Kuhn might have been the first jazz pianist to record inside the piano.