Konstantin Antipov: Allegro Symphonique Op 7

Started by dhibbard, June 11, 2020, 04:53:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dhibbard

I am working on scoring this on Sibelius... does anyone know of a radio performance or any known recording?   Just thought I would ask as we have wealth of knowledge on this forum.

Antipov, Konstantin Afanasyevich 18.jan.1858-1927 Russia, St Petersburg - ?, ?
1878-1886 studied and graduated from St Petersburg Conservatory, criticised by his teacher Rimsky-Korsakov for his lack of base knowledge, member of the Belyayev Circle, after 1893 he gave up composing

this is an excerpt from The Beauty of Belyayev:

Rimsky-Korsakov  gives  a  brief  insight  into  Antipov's  progress  towards  graduation  in  the season   of   1885/86.   Writing   in   his   Memoirs,   he   remarks 4,   'Of   my   pupils   at   the Conservatoire, I.I. Vitol, A.A. Petrov 5 and Antipov finished the course. Not withstanding an undoubted talent, the last-named, due to sloth and his characteristic indiscipline, would not have succeeded in finishing his examination task, an 'Allegro', if Glazunov had not given him surreptitious  assistance,  completing  the  orchestration  of  the  composition  for  him.  Antipov remained convinced that he would have completed the orchestration had he not run out of time. Glazunov who orchestrated this for practice, kept it a secret. The composition sounded beautiful and was later published by Belaieff to whom, however, the secret was well known.' The  work  received  its  première  at  the  third  Russian  Symphonic  Concert  of  the  1887 winter season on 7th. November, and it, together with works of other composers, performed at  this  and  the  next  two  concerts  was  the  subject  of  poor  reviews  by  Cesar  Cui.  Stasov counter  attacked  in  an  article  titled  'Pechelnaya  Katastrofa/A  grievous  catastrophe 6.'  This was  followed  by  Cui's  celebrated  polemic,  'Ottsy  i deti/Fathers  and  Children'  which  was published  on  21st.  January,  1888 7.  Apart  from  generalised  issues,  Cui  made  specific reference  to  the  fact  that  Antipov's  work  consisted  of  only  one  movement  of  what  Cui assumed should be a complete symphony; consequently it was difficult to judge it in such a fragmentary state. Nevertheless, Cui acknowledged Antipov's gifts.

Besides the Symphonic Allegro9 and the songs, Op.4. there are nearly thirty piano pieces, all published by Belaieff and running consecutively from Op.1 to Op.13. M