How do I get some sheet music played?

Started by Overtones, June 17, 2020, 08:59:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Overtones

So here's the issue.
I sometimes get to know that certain pieces exist but I cannot find anywhere to listen to their performance.
I find the score but not a performance (nor streaming, nor recorded).
As a non-musician who cannot play it by himself, this is frustrating.
So what is the solution?

Are you guys aware of any online platform where performers/musician accept such "tasks" (with payment of course)?
As in: please can you play the piano arrangement of Schubert's String Quintet and record it for me? Here's the payment.

The other solution that was kindly suggested to me is to use MuseScore or the likes, to have it played as MIDI.
Again as a non musician this is a bit troublesome. I mean I can get myself to transcribe a score but it would take me a lot of time and the result will probably be mediocre, as I lack the familiarity with sheet music.

Any ideas?

DaveF

There is an application called Photoscore, which will scan a score and convert it to a format to be used by music editing software.  I believe Photoscore Lite comes as part of Sibelius, but it puts limits on the number of staves in a score, won't read notes smaller than demisemiquavers etc.  Photoscore Ultimate doesn't have any of these limitations.  Having said this, it's quite inaccurate in what it reads - any spot on the paper will get turned into a dotted note, assignment of staves to different instruments is random and indiscriminate.  It works best with clean electronic copies (pdfs) of scores in which the number of staves is constant.  And then of course you need some sort of music editing package.  Sibelius and Finale, the two most popular, are expensive; there are free ones around, as you know - MuseScore is quite good, I believe - but whether they'll communicate with Photoscore I don't know.  Best of luck.
"All the world is birthday cake" - George Harrison

steve ridgway

Quote from: DaveF on June 19, 2020, 01:23:49 AM
Having said this, it's quite inaccurate in what it reads - any spot on the paper will get turned into a dotted note, assignment of staves to different instruments is random and indiscriminate.

This sounds like it could have been very useful in the 1960s ;).

malc laney

i can do reasonable guitar pieces . hand up at back of class emoji