Édouard Lalo

Started by Symphonic Addict, June 28, 2020, 12:25:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Symphonic Addict

Incredible how this composer didn't have his own thread yet!

Widely known for his Symphonie espagnole, this composer wrote other works of real merit: three piano trios, several concertos, a symphony, Le Roi d'Ys, among others.

The excuse to create this thread was I listened to his ballet music Namouna. I had not heard this work before and it was a nice surprise on this Sunday. This is sheer delight! The music is so colourful, tuneful, sparkling, witty, lighthearted, cheerful. Just hearing that majestic and very French Prélude one already feels the work is gonna be promising. Utterly enjoyable listen. Recommended for those who like carefree and fun music.

Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

I have the  Namouna set from ASV and I like it. I will look for this album.

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on June 28, 2020, 12:25:32 PM
Incredible how this composer didn't have his own thread yet!

Widely known for his Symphonie espagnole, this composer wrote other works of real merit: three piano trios, several concertos, a symphony, Le Roi d'Ys, among others.

The excuse to create this thread was I listened to his ballet music Namouna. I had not heard this work before and it was a nice surprise on this Sunday. This is sheer delight! The music is so colourful, tuneful, sparkling, witty, lighthearted, cheerful. Just hearing that majestic and very French Prélude one already feels the work is gonna be promising. Utterly enjoyable listen. Recommended for those who like carefree and fun music.

ritter

That recording of Lalo's Namouna by David Robertson Is delightful (and IIRC, more complete than Ansermet's on Decca).

kyjo

For me, one of his standout works is the Piano Trio no. 3. This is Lalo at his most serious - a stormy, passionate, ultra-Romantic work. Great stuff! The Cello Concerto often gets written off amongst us cellists but it's quite a fine work overall. I don't recall being too enthralled by the Symphony in G minor. I'll have to check out Namouna.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Symphonic Addict

The Symphony in G minor is a pretty consistent work if decent, but I feel it's better than many I know.

These discs are very good in my estimation:

Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Florestan

Everything that this team does is excellent. This is no exception.
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy