Carl Reiner (1922-2020) passes

Started by mc ukrneal, June 30, 2020, 06:11:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pohjolas Daughter

Very sorry to hear that.  Thank you for letting us know.

Boy, all of the shows and movies that he either created and/or was in!  I remember the Dick Van Dyke show from way-back-when...The 2000 Year Old Man (which had me in stitches).  Hadn't realized that he was so involved in Steve Martin's career back in the day too....and on and on.  Writer, director, actor, comedian....

A true loss.

Best wishes,

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Roasted Swan

Spinal Tap and The Princess Bride remain two of my favourite films - an understated genius.  His legacy will endure I think......

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Roasted Swan on June 30, 2020, 09:01:35 AM
Spinal Tap and The Princess Bride remain two of my favourite films - an understated genius.  His legacy will endure I think......
Was Carl (Rob's father) involved with that movie?  I see (according to Wiki) that Rob directed and produced it.

I don't know Spinal Tap, but yes, love The Princess Bride!

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

mc ukrneal

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on June 30, 2020, 08:55:57 AM
Mc ukrneal,

Any favorite shows/movies/performances of yours that you'd like to share?   :)

PD
I always thought All of Me (which he directed) was very under-rated. Martin and Tomlin can be brilliant when they are properly channeled (but are usually awful because they are too all over the place - Robin Williams was like this too). Both are so multifaceted in that movie, where often they are quite 'one note' in others. As an actor,  well he'll always be remembered for Ocean's Eleven. He plays his role perfectly.
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Herman

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on June 30, 2020, 09:46:46 AM
Was Carl (Rob's father) involved with that movie?  I see (according to Wiki) that Rob directed and produced it.

I don't know Spinal Tap, but yes, love The Princess Bride!

PD

Spinal Tap is essential.

Surely you've heard people say "This one goes to eleven."

That's from Spinal Tap.

springrite

I was in the US from 1980 to 2002. All I know about the man was from all his appearances on the Tonight Show with Johnny Carson.
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: mc ukrneal on June 30, 2020, 10:14:03 AM
I always thought All of Me (which he directed) was very under-rated. Martin and Tomlin can be brilliant when they are properly channeled (but are usually awful because they are too all over the place - Robin Williams was like this too). Both are so multifaceted in that movie, where often they are quite 'one note' in others. As an actor,  well he'll always be remembered for Ocean's Eleven. He plays his role perfectly.
I haven't seen all of me before, but will see if I might be able to get it from a library.

And, yes, Ocean's Eleven!   ;D

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: springrite on June 30, 2020, 11:17:57 AM
I was in the US from 1980 to 2002. All I know about the man was from all his appearances on the Tonight Show with Johnny Carson.
Sorry that you haven't seen more of his work.  Did you enjoy his appearances on The Tonight Show?  Out of curiosity, are you familiar with his son's Rob Reiner's work?  An extremely talented family I think.   :)

Best,

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Here's a short skit from The 2,000 year old man starring Carl Reiner and Mel Brooks:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOTKDgrdvdg

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Old San Antone

The day he died I (without knowing anything of this news) watched his wonderful documentary from 2017 If You're Not in the Obit, Eat Breakfast.

Very sad news.