The Classical Chat Thread

Started by DavidW, July 14, 2009, 08:39:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JBS

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Spotted Horses

Quote from: Brian on June 23, 2023, 12:25:35 PMWe used to have a member named Don who only listened to Bach organ works for fifteen whole years, which is the standard you should measure yourself against anytime you feel your genre listening might be crossing the line into insanity  ;D

If I'm thinking of the same Don, he also listened to harpsichord music (especially the Goldberg Variations) as well as a smattering of other music.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Brian

I had a dream overnight that I was on a video conference call for journalists, where I was trying to interview Klaus Heymann about Naxos at the same time that all the other journalists on the call were trying to interview pop stars about pop music, using the same call  ;D

After the call ended in the dream I kept thinking of more and more questions until my brain got too active and woke me up.

Brian

Android phones have a newish feature where the phone's operating system will identify songs playing around you and display the song title on your lock screen. I've been testing this in restaurants and at home, and it's mostly good...but NOT with classical music.

Monday, it identified a Scarlatti sonata in E flat as the slow movement from Beethoven's piano trio Op. 1 No. 3. (It even tried guessing the performers, telling me it was Yo-Yo Ma, Leonidas Kavakos, and Emanuel Ax. It was Benjamin Frith.)

Right now, it is identifying the famous "Clock" movement from Haydn's Clock as...Pachelbel's Canon.   :(  EDIT: And the minuet of the same symphony is...Bach's Violin Concerto No. 2 in E, slow movement, as played by Hilary Hahn. (It's really Sandor Vegh live on Orfeo.)

Florestan

Quote from: Brian on February 28, 2024, 08:29:19 AMAndroid phones have a newish feature where the phone's operating system will identify songs playing around you and display the song title on your lock screen. I've been testing this in restaurants and at home, and it's mostly good...but NOT with classical music.

Monday, it identified a Scarlatti sonata in E flat as the slow movement from Beethoven's piano trio Op. 1 No. 3. (It even tried guessing the performers, telling me it was Yo-Yo Ma, Leonidas Kavakos, and Emanuel Ax. It was Benjamin Frith.)

Right now, it is identifying the famous "Clock" movement from Haydn's Clock as...Pachelbel's Canon.   :(  EDIT: And the minuet of the same symphony is...Bach's Violin Concerto No. 2 in E, slow movement, as played by Hilary Hahn. (It's really Sandor Vegh live on Orfeo.)

Try some opera, it should be funnier still.  :D
Si un hombre nunca se contradice será porque nunca dice nada. —Miguel de Unamuno

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Brian on July 25, 2023, 10:35:18 AMI had a dream overnight that I was on a video conference call for journalists, where I was trying to interview Klaus Heymann about Naxos at the same time that all the other journalists on the call were trying to interview pop stars about pop music, using the same call  ;D

After the call ended in the dream I kept thinking of more and more questions until my brain got too active and woke me up.

That sounds like quite the nightmare!  If you do ever get to interview him (if you haven't already), just make sure NOT to hit the conference call button.

Quote from: Brian on February 28, 2024, 08:29:19 AMAndroid phones have a newish feature where the phone's operating system will identify songs playing around you and display the song title on your lock screen. I've been testing this in restaurants and at home, and it's mostly good...but NOT with classical music.

Right now, it is identifying the famous "Clock" movement from Haydn's Clock as...Pachelbel's Canon.  :(  EDIT: And the minuet of the same symphony is...Bach's Violin Concerto No. 2 in E, slow movement, as played by Hilary Hahn. (It's really Sandor Vegh live on Orfeo.)
I suspected that those apps weren't that great with classical music and would be much better with pop music, country, etc.  How does it do with jazz?

To be fair, there are so many different classical recordings of popular works--including live ones to further complicate the matter.  If I were an app, my "head" would be spinning!

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Karl Henning

Right now, it is identifying the famous "Clock" movement from Haydn's Clock as...Pachelbel's Canon.  :(  EDIT: And the minuet of the same symphony is...Bach's Violin Concerto No. 2 in E, slow movement, as played by Hilary Hahn. (It's really Sandor Vegh live on Orfeo.)
Bet it has no trouble with Adele.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Florestan

Quote from: Karl Henning on March 01, 2024, 09:55:14 AMBet it has no trouble with Adele.

It's all about hooks, as per another thread...  ;D
Si un hombre nunca se contradice será porque nunca dice nada. —Miguel de Unamuno

Karl Henning

Quote from: Florestan on March 01, 2024, 10:59:17 AMIt's all about hooks, as per another thread...  ;D
My thought, as well.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

LKB

Quote from: Florestan on March 01, 2024, 03:16:59 AMTry some opera, it should be funnier still.  :D

Indeed.  >:D
Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...

Brian

New one!

Actual song: "Gretchen am Spinnrade" by Schubert, arr. Liszt for piano

What my phone thinks the song is: "Technicolor" by Kudasaibeats