The Music Room > General Classical Music Discussion

Monthly Focus

(1/24) > >>

Judith:
Every month, I focus on a work that am not very familiar with. Repeatedly listen so I can familiarise myself. End result is expansion of my listening repertoire. Anyone else do anything similar?

This month is Sibelius Symphony no 6.
After finding his 4th "hard work", this one seems easier.
Although have three recordings, listened to
Neeme Jarvi
Gothenburg Symphony Orchestra🎼🎼

Mirror Image:
I tend to focus on certain composers rather than singling out a certain work. I couldn’t imagine focusing on one work and that be my primary focus, but to each their own.

k a rl h e nn i ng:

--- Quote from: Judith on July 01, 2020, 01:39:21 AM ---Every month, I focus on a work that am not very familiar with. Repeatedly listen so I can familiarise myself. End result is expansion of my listening repertoire. Anyone else do anything similar?

This month is Sibelius Symphony no 6.
After finding his 4th "hard work", this one seems easier.
Although have three recordings, listened to
Neeme Jarvi
Gothenburg Symphony Orchestra🎼🎼

--- End quote ---

I like this idea.  I suppose I have indeed listened similarly.

Judith:

--- Quote from: Mirror Image on July 01, 2020, 05:21:19 AM ---I tend to focus on certain composers rather than singling out a certain work. I couldn’t imagine focusing on one work and that be my primary focus, but to each their own.

--- End quote ---
Listen to other works as well but I make sure listen to focus more often that month🎼🎼

some guy:
I've done something similar, but only once, and under specific compulsion.

In the long, long ago, I was intrigued by a couple of pieces by Sibelius and utterly baffled by the rest. How I could ever have been baffled by Sibelius baffles me now, but so it was.

So I went over to the downtown library in Sacramento (was driven there, that is--it was, after all, in the before time) and checked out all the Sibelius LPs they had, took them home, listened to them over and over again for a week.

That did it. Sibelius became a favorite.

I've never had to do that again. Knowing from that one experience that bafflement was inevitable--and temporary--I have spent the subsequent decades simply listening to music and enjoying it.

If you need to keep doing it, however, then I think you should keep doing it. "It" is not at all a bad thing to do. Wanting to understand and hence to enjoy is a perpetual condition, and whatever you have to do to achieve understanding and enjoyment is bound to be a good thing.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version