Monthly Focus

Started by Judith, July 01, 2020, 02:39:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

carol235

I can never decide which Saint Saens piano concerto I like the best.  They are all good.  Right now my favorite is No. 5.  But that could change tomorrow  :)

aligreto

Saint-Saens: Piano Concerto No. 1 [Rogé/Dutoit]

I am not overly familiar with this work and this is the only version of it that I have in my collection. The most noteworthy thing for me in the first movement, to be honest, is the exposition with that wonderful horn theme. The horns continue to play an important role in the texture of the orchestration. The lower register strings in the slow movement are slightly disconcerting. The final movement is a buoyant and lively affair. After a long gap since my last listen I was not enthused by my re-acquaintance with this work I must admit. 

Jo498

Yes, the horn theme is the most remarkable thing as far as I recall. I should re-listen to the pieces but last time I thought it was not totally unjustified that No. 2 and 4 were the most famous of these pieces.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

aligreto

Yes it is good to revisit works that did not originally appeal to us. Sometimes that opinion changes and sometimes not. That is one thing that I like about this particular thread.

Judith

Well, have become addicted to Saint Saens so chosen for this month, another work.

Cello Concerto no 2

Performed by

Steven Isserlis
NDR. Symphony Orchestra
Christoph Eschenbach

Unusual that it has two movements but a reliable source has told me that there are actually four movements, but first two and second two have merged!

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Judith on November 07, 2021, 09:30:12 AM
Well, have become addicted to Saint Saens so chosen for this month, another work.

Cello Concerto no 2

Performed by

Steven Isserlis
NDR. Symphony Orchestra
Christoph Eschenbach

Unusual that it has two movements but a reliable source has told me that there are actually four movements, but first two and second two have merged!
Glad that you are having fun listening to Saint-Saens!  Don't believe that I've heard his second cello concerto before?  Has it been recorded much?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Judith

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on November 07, 2021, 09:34:55 AM
Glad that you are having fun listening to Saint-Saens!  Don't believe that I've heard his second cello concerto before?  Has it been recorded much?

PD

Not sure.  Found it on box set

Steven Isserlis
The Complete RCA Recordings

Was curious!

aligreto

Saint-Saens: Cello Concerto No. 2 [Harrell/Chailly]

This is the only version of this work that I own.

I like the way that, from the opening bars, this music is infused with tension, drama and atmosphere. The music is well driven in the quicker tempo section of the first movement. The slow tempo section delivers the element of poignancy and emotional atmosphere and takes the intensity of the movement to the next level. The tempo, excitement and exhilaration of the music of the second movement is wonderfully breathless in its delivery here.
I certainly am no expert in cello playing but this work certainly sounds very difficult to play. Harrell delivers an impeccable performance.

Judith

Well, after the concert last week, for this month chosen

Haydn Symphony no 98.

Don't know it that well and want to familiarise myself with this one!

André

No 98 is a wonderful symphony, one of Haydn's most inventive. Enjoy !

aligreto

Quote from: Judith on December 04, 2021, 05:57:08 AM
Well, after the concert last week, for this month chosen

Haydn Symphony no 98.

Don't know it that well and want to familiarise myself with this one!

When I thought about this latest post I decided to listen to three versions of this Haydn symphony that I would not normally listen to [have not listened to for years, in fact]. The first on up is....

Haydn: Symphony No. 98 [Dorati]

This version works well for me. I like the balance of the orchestral forces here. They are just enough to give the requisite "weight" to Haydn's late symphonies; that without too much gravitas. The music is well driven in the quicker tempi movements but not overly so; it moves along well. One of the perennial problems that I have with Dorati's Haydn is his treatment of the slow movements, in general. I think that he is overly heavy handed with them, especially in the earlier symphonies. I think that his presentations of the slow movements in general lack the requisite charm and poise. They are well played and recorded though. This one, however, is not too bad in this regard and it is more successful, to me, compared with many slow movements in this set.

vers la flamme

This discussion has made me decide to revisit this symphony too. For me it's the Colin Davis/Concertgebouw recording. Sounds excellent!

Karl Henning

Quote from: vers la flamme on December 11, 2021, 08:18:09 AM
This discussion has made me decide to revisit this symphony too. For me it's the Colin Davis/Concertgebouw recording. Sounds excellent!

Tasty!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

aligreto

Haydn: Symphony No. 98 [Szell]

As I would expect from these forces this is a big presentation but it is not ponderous in any way. It does also have a keen sense of poise, charm and elegance to it. The second movement is heartfelt and ardent. The Menuet is stately and well articulated. This final movement opens with a graceful canter and maintains that poise until there is a wonderful and amusing final dash to the finish line.

André

Szell's is my favourite version of that symphony  :)

aligreto

Quote from: André on December 16, 2021, 05:44:54 AM
Szell's is my favourite version of that symphony  :)

Yes, it is wonderful, isn't it and, for me, from an unexpected source.

aligreto

Haydn: Symphony No. 98 [Jochum]

Jochum's preliminary introduction is a touch on the dark and menacing side but that is soon dispelled when the exposition is completed and the bright sunshine appears. The touch of the Berliner strings is wonderfully light but full sounding in a buoyant and energetic presentation. The music is also well driven by Jochum which adds a wonderful sense of drama and excitement. The slow movement sounds on the poignant and tragic side here. I feel that the tone is quite plaintive, understandably. The Menuet sounds more like a robust Scherzo here, which is fine. The final movement is ardent, assertive and a little restrained for the first half of the movement but it is never dull by any means. Things do get lighter and more animated thereafter and the music builds up to a dignified conclusion.

Holden

A symphony I've never listened to until now and am quite enjoying it. This is the version I'm listening to

Cheers

Holden

aligreto

Quote from: Holden on December 17, 2021, 12:15:19 PM
A symphony I've never listened to until now and am quite enjoying it. This is the version I'm listening to

Symphony No. 98 [Fischer]

Well I thought that I was done here but you have piqued my interest in yet another set of recordings that I have not touched for a long time. I reached for that set and played Symphony 98. I remember enjoying Fischer's Haydn because he was energetic without being over assertive.

The opening movement is energetic, animated and well driven but is also well balanced. There is wonderful forward momentum in this presentation of this movement. The slow movement is light in tone, for the most part, yet full sounding and the woodwinds really excel here. The Menuet is an assertively animated affair with fine articulation employed to great effect. This Menuet is a wonderful example of the evolution of the Menuet form into the Scherzo form as it sounds, to me, like a hybrid form. The final movement is well paced and driven with a large element of excitement. The sound is full but the touch is light and all of the orchestral forces are well balanced in a very good recording. The performance has a great presence.

Judith

Well, first monthly focus of year is
Saint Saens Cello Sonata no 2.
Not so familiar with this one unlike no 1 which I love.
Love the recording by @StevenIsserlis
Pascal Devoyon

From a gem I bought a few years ago.
The Complete RCA Recordings