Monthly Focus

Started by Judith, July 01, 2020, 02:39:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aligreto

Quote from: Judith on January 02, 2022, 10:15:51 AM
Well, first monthly focus of year is
Saint Saens Cello Sonata no 2.
Not so familiar with this one unlike no 1 which I love.
Love the recording by @StevenIsserlis
Pascal Devoyon

From a gem I bought a few years ago.
The Complete RCA Recordings

I checked and I only have one cersion of this work. I will get it down and give it a listen soon. I have no memory of it.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: aligreto on January 03, 2022, 02:23:46 AM
I checked and I only have one cersion of this work. I will get it down and give it a listen soon. I have no memory of it.
Don't believe that I've heard that work before now; I'll have to do some digging around and see whether or not I have a recording of it.

Happy listening!

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

aligreto

Saint-Saens: Cello Sonata No. 2 [Lidstrom/Forsberg]

The first movement opens with a quite animated passage which both musicians handle very well. The music settles down to a wonderful lyrical and fluid passage to which the musicians adapt to effortlessly. This is fine music and music making; both of their phrasing enables the sense of fluidity and forward momentum. The second movement, with the variations, is wonderfully presented. There is plenty of expressive interpretation to be heard from both musicians. The third movement, Romanza, is sensitively played here with all of the lyricism and sensitivity of the music on show. The final movement is a wonderful summary of what has preceded it in terms of lyricism, emotion and musical content and, once again, both musicians rise to the occasion admirably. Yes, this is a Cello Sonata but I must say that Forsberg's playing of the piano lines makes them sparkle and presents the "accompaniment" in a wonderful and very engaging light.

Judith

Well, this month, something slightly different.

Mendelssohn
Variations Concertantes for piano & cello

A work that I hardly know and going to see it performed live shortly so wanted to learn it first.

Steven Isserlis (who we're seeing)
Melvyn Tan

aligreto

Quote from: Judith on February 01, 2022, 02:55:33 AM
Well, this month, something slightly different.

Mendelssohn
Variations Concertantes for piano & cello

A work that I hardly know and going to see it performed live shortly so wanted to learn it first.

Steven Isserlis (who we're seeing)
Melvyn Tan

I do not own a version of that work nor have I ever heard it.

aligreto

I have now listened to two versions of these variations of the Mendelssohn Variations Concertantes for piano & cello on YT. The first is by Maisky & Tiempo:

https://www.youtube.com/v/tPE4ujl5O0A

The sound is good on this video and the duration is 8:22 mins.

The second version is a HIP performance using original instruments performed by Coin & Cohen:

https://www.youtube.com/v/05TpErI20sU

The sound is not so good on this video [quite a dry acoustic] and the duration is 10:16 mins.

Leaving aside the instrumentation there is an obvious interpretive difference in these two approaches. I prefer the Coin & Cohen version because I feel that it is more expressive overall. The Maisky & Tiempo version seems too rushed, overall, for me, certainly on first listen.

Judith

Now have Mendelssohn Cello Sonata no 1 as my focus this month. More familiar with no 2 and can't get over the similarities between the two sonatas. Listening to a lovely recording by Steven Isserlis and Melvyn Tan

Karl Henning

Quote from: Judith on March 07, 2022, 09:11:40 AM
Now have Mendelssohn Cello Sonata no 1 as my focus this month. More familiar with no 2 and can't get over the similarities between the two sonatas. Listening to a lovely recording by Steven Isserlis and Melvyn Tan

Nice!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

aligreto

Quote from: Judith on March 07, 2022, 09:11:40 AM

Mendelssohn: Cello Sonata No. 1 [Coin/Cohen]

I do not have this work in my library so I went to YouTube. I chose the Coin/Cohen version to listen to.

https://www.youtube.com/v/Y8o9lyuuYiI

I was very engaged with this performance from the very beginning. The opening movement is very intense and these musicians are very much up to the challenge. Their performance is both assertive and assured and the music is very well driven. The slow movement is very lyrical, melodic and engaging in nature. It is quite wonderful music. The music of the final movement is quite exciting, filled with great intensity and is very well driven here. Both musicians deliver quite a strong performance throughout.

Judith

Well, this month decided to go back to Saint Saéns with his piano concerto no 2.
Familiar with the quirky 2nd movement but not so the other two.  Think that the 1st movement has a beautiful haunting theme in contrast to the 2nd.
Love the recording by 
Stephen Hough
CBSO
Sakari Oramo

aligreto

Saint-Saens: Piano Concerto No. 2 [Rogé/Dutoit]

I am not familiar with this work. The Rogé/Dutoit version is the only one that I have in my collection.
I was not overly enamoured with the work on reacquaintance, much preferring the first piano concerto.

Papy Oli

A first listen:

Grainger - The Warriors
(Gardiner, Philarmonia)

Olivier

VonStupp

Quote from: Papy Oli on April 03, 2022, 05:00:34 AM
A first listen:

Grainger - The Warriors
(Gardiner, Philarmonia)

Fun! I know there are a handful in the recorded catalog, but I have only heard Rattle and this Gardiner.

VS
"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."

Papy Oli

oops, that was meant for the listening thread, my bad  0:)
Olivier

Judith

This month, still with piano, focusing on Mendelssohn Piano Concerto no 2. Familiar with no 1 but not so with no 2 and want to know it better.
Using a lovely recording by Stephen Hough CBSO and Lawrence Foster.

Judith

This months' focus is a symphony with 

Haydns' no 102.

Going to see it performed live shortly so familiarising myself with it because not one I know too well.

Recording is ASMF and Sir Neville Marriner

aligreto

Haydn: Symphony No. 102 [Goodman]

In order to facilitate my participation here I went to my go to for Haydn i.e. Goodman.

The performance is imbued with grace, elegance and charm and yet it is full bodied in its presentation. The tempi are well judged throughout. The first movement is animated and exciting and well driven. The Adagio has something of a wistful aspect to it; an undercurrent of poignancy perhaps. The Menuet is a robust affair. The Finale is exciting and shows the timpani to great effect.

Judith

Well, next months' focus is a Brahms work that I don't know really well but after listening once, realised how beautiful it is.

Trio for Piano, Clarinet and Cello in A minor op 114 performed by

Steven Isserlis, Steven Hough and Michael Collins

aligreto

Quote from: Judith on June 30, 2022, 06:10:00 AM
Well, next months' focus is a Brahms work that I don't know really well but after listening once, realised how beautiful it is.

Trio for Piano, Clarinet and Cello in A minor op 114 performed by

Steven Isserlis, Steven Hough and Michael Collins

Brahms: Trio for piano, clarinet and cello Op. 114 [Pierterson/Beaux Arts Trio members]

I get a sense of both tension and poignancy in the music of the opening movement. The clarinet and the cello complement each other wonderfully against the more sober piano line. I really like the way that the clarinet sings out in the wonderfully lyrical opening of the second movement. The theme is subsequently augmented by the cello and it is wonderfully expanded and developed as the movement proceeds. I find the music of the third movement to be beguiling and elegant. The final movement is buoyant and concludes on an ebullient note. The music is always lyrical and engaging throughout.

Judith

Well, back to Saint-Saens for my focus this month with his  piano concerto no 3 which I'm loving already.  Saint Saens never let's me down.   Amazing performance by

Sir Stephen Hough 

CBSO

Sakari Oramo