Monthly Focus

Started by Judith, July 01, 2020, 02:39:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karl Henning

Quote from: Judith on August 03, 2022, 12:32:53 AM
Well, back to Saint-Saens for my focus this month with his  piano concerto no 3 which I'm loving already.  Saint Saens never let's me down.   Amazing performance by

Sir Stephen Hough

CBSO

Sakari Oramo

Very nice, Judith!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Judith

Well, for this month it is Schumann Violin Sonata no 3.  Such a beautiful work and even more so because it is performed on a cello.
Using the recording by Steven Isserlis who also arranged it for cello and Denes Varjon

Judith

Decided on a symphony for this months focus.  
Mozart no 38 (Prague).
Don't know this one very well but decided to delve further.
Using a lovely recording by ASMF Orchestra and Sir Neville Marriner

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Judith on October 02, 2022, 09:58:22 AM
Mozart no 38 (Prague).
Great choice!  :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

aligreto

Quote from: Judith on October 02, 2022, 09:58:22 AM
Mozart no 38 (Prague).

Mozart: Symphony No. 38 "Prague" [Tate]

aligreto

Mozart: Symphony No. 38 "Prague" [Norrington]

aligreto

Mozart: Symphony No. 38 "Prague" [Hogwood]

Brahmsian

My favourite Mozart symphony along with # 39!

Spotted Horses

I've recently acquired Norrington's set of recordings of "Essential" Mozart Symphonies with Stuttgart (Hanssler) and have only listened to some of the minor "essential" symphonies. Well, a good time to try one of the big four.

The performance is remarkable for it's vitality, with trumpets and percussion often performing in a more aggressive manner than I'm accustomed to. There are also wonderful moments when the horns emerge from the texture in a thrilling manner. My only quibble is that the low strings don't have what seems like the necessary weight in some passages.

It is truly a remarkable work, with many wonderful thematic and harmonic transformations. I especially love a certain figure which appears early in the first movement exposition on the oboe, and later builds to the climax in the code, stated by full orchestra.

This is left my curious to listen to some contrasting performance. Maybe I'll return to a perennial favorite of mine, Krips/Concertebouw.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Pohjolas Daughter

A favorite set of mine (which includes the Prague) of Mozart symphonies (not complete) is this one.   It's with the Scottish Chamber Orchestra and Sir Charles Mackerras.  Lovely recordings and in modern sound.  It has Symphonies Nos. 38-41 only.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Judith

Listened to something different today.  Brahms violin Sonata in D major op 78 transcribed for viola by Csaba Erdelyi beautifully performed by Roberto Diaz and Jeremy Denk on the Naxos label. Decided to make it this months focus.
Feel that the final movement reminds me of piano trio op 8.

Judith

Well because Schubert doesn't seem to get a lot of love from me (unwittingly, of course), I decided that he would be this months focus in the form of "Arpeggione Sonata in A minor".  It is a beautiful work and using a lovely performance by Steven Isserlis and Denes Varjon

Judith

To start the year, staying focused with Schubert for the beautiful A minor D784 piano sonata. Thought to be  composed when  discovered he was very ill.
Lovely recording by Stephen Hough

Happy New Year to all of you.

BasilValentine

I've been working on the finale of D874 for a while now. The second theme (or rondo episode) is a lovely example of so-called harmonic major (major scale with b6). Alas, I despair of getting the octave passage in the coda up to tempo. First movement sounds orchestral to me.

Judith

For this month chosen a symphony because I've been concentrating on sonatas.
Haydn
Symphony no 92 (Oxford)

Ashamed to say I'm not familiar with a lot of Haydn Symphonies so trying to rectify this.

Using
Academy of St Martin in the Fields
Sir Neville Marriner

DavidW

I've decided that my focus this month will be Tubin's fifth symphony.

Judith

This one, I may have had before but it was mentioned on Twitter and was tempted to re-visit this beautiful concerto.   Now have a data-base set up so I can trace back.
Saint Saens
Cello Concerto no 2
Steven Isserlis
NDR Sinfonie Orchester
Christoph Eschenbach

Judith

Ashamed to say not so familiar with a lot of Haydn symphonies so for this April it is
Symphony no 104 (London)

Using the performance by
Academy of St Martin in the Fields
Sir Neville Marriner

Judith

Monthly focus this month is
Tragic Overture
Brahms

Not as familiar with this one as I am the Academic Festival

Using
Royal Liverpool Philharmonic
Marek Janowski