Monthly Focus

Started by Judith, July 01, 2020, 02:39:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brahmsian

Quote from: Mirror Image on June 07, 2021, 07:27:22 AM
Well, I did mention it'll take longer than a month, which there's no doubt that it will. ;)

True, you did.  :)

Karl Henning

Quote from: Judith on June 02, 2021, 12:00:41 AM
Well, said goodbye to Tchaikovsky SQ and it's hello to Faure Violin Sonata no 1.
Don't know if it's me but find in some of his works, there are elements of Schumann including this one. Was one influenced by the other?
Using a lovely performance by
Joshua Bell
Jean-Ives Thibaudet

To answer questions on how I do this,  I listen to the same work until it sticks so it may be every day (depending on time) but at least 3 or 4 times a week that month.
Can't read music so wouldn't be able to follow score but do find info about it!

The Fauré is a marvelous work.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Mirror Image

Quote from: Mirror Image on June 07, 2021, 06:58:24 AM
You know what, I've decided to do a monthly focus that will take much longer than a mere month, but I will be rediscovering the music of the following composers: Vaughan Williams, Holst, Elgar, Arnold, Langgaard, Nielsen, Berlioz, Saint-Saëns, Dvořák, Glazunov, Rachmaninov, Prokofiev and Shostakovich. I've already started to listen to more Shostakovich and Glazunov lately.

Never mind. Scratch all of this. :P

Judith

Well, for July, it's Brahms's turn for my "monthly focus" with his Cello Sonata no 2.
A lovely recording also by
Isserlis/Hough

Mirror Image

Quote from: Judith on July 03, 2021, 11:40:42 PM
Well, for July, it's Brahms's turn for my "monthly focus" with his Cello Sonata no 2.
A lovely recording also by
Isserlis/Hough

Why? A monthly focus on one work and that's it? ???

foxandpeng

Well, for July ...

It looks like July for me will be filled with Shostakovich SQs and probably continuing to get a proper grasp on Hindemith symphonies.

Best wishes with Brahms 🙂
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

vers la flamme

Quote from: Mirror Image on July 04, 2021, 06:57:22 AM

Makes more sense than choosing the general works of 13 composers as a monthly focus  :laugh:

Mirror Image

Quote from: vers la flamme on July 04, 2021, 03:47:24 PM
Makes more sense than choosing the general works of 13 composers as a monthly focus  :laugh:

;D

aligreto

Brahms: Cello Sonata No. 2 [Sellheim/Sellheim]

This is a robust and ardent presentation of the first movement. This tone and approach tends to follow through into the Slow movement. It is a big performance. The recorded sound is also very big and forward but is well balanced.

Brahms: Cello Sonata No. 2 [Isserlis/Evans]

The approach on this recording is not as robust as that of the Sellheim/Sellheim pairing. It is still a spirited one but one that has more subtlety in both the presentation and interpretation. This also enhances the inherent excitement and drive in the music for me. The slow movement is much more subtle and sensitive here. The recorded sound is also more relaxed and enjoyable.

aligreto

Brahms: Cello Sonata No. 2 [Du Pré/Barenboim]

The approach on this recording is as robust as others but it is infused with a lyrical, singing quality that the others do not have. The first movement performance is quite enthralling and the slow movement is emotion laden in a wonderful performance. The energy and drive of the third movement is engaging and the atmosphere ranges from tense and dramatic to delicate and back again. The wonderful singing quality from the first movement returns in the final movement to play out what is a compelling performance from both musicians.

DavidW

I did that.  I listened to nothing but different recordings of Mahler's 9th for several weeks.

Mirror Image

Quote from: DavidW on July 15, 2021, 06:36:37 AM
I did that.  I listened to nothing but different recordings of Mahler's 9th for several weeks.

I admire your tenacity. ;) As much as I love Mahler's 9th, I couldn't listen to it for several weeks and this be the only work I listen to. If anything, it'd make me not want to hear this symphony for a long time.

aligreto

Brahms: Cello Sonata No. 2 [Gastinel/Guy]

This is a strong, robust but not overly assertive performance. The power in the delivery of the two voices portrays wonderful passion. For me, the performance of Gastinel really shines through. She both attacks and caresses the music equally, as required and is very comfortable doing both. This is another performance that has a lyrical quality inducing one to sing along with it.

Brahms: Cello Sonata No. 2 [Rostropovich/Serkin]

This is a very smooth and well rounded, tonally rich, and quite powerful performance. The two instrumentalists need no introduction and are at the top of their game here. The music making is of an expectantly high standard and it is powerful and robust in its delivery but also with great depth of feeling. The recording is very well balanced and does great justice to the individual instrumentalists. This is a terrific performance that is filled with power, emotion and intensity and it is well deserving of your attention.

aligreto

Brahms: Cello Sonata No. 2 [Wispelwey/Komen]

This is a very, very different sounding presentation to all of the others that I have in my collection. It is played on suitable period instruments which sound wonderful with great bite, particularly the cello. The piano also sounds very different, and very effective to me. However, the phrasing is very different to others' and it is intriguing and both of these elements create their own sound world for this very unique sounding presentation: it is quite a compelling contrast in comparison to other recordings. This interpretation clamours and deserves to be heard.

Karl Henning

Chacun à son goût
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Florestan

Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Karl Henning

Quote from: Florestan on July 17, 2021, 09:40:01 AM
The most abused maxim in the world.

Possibly. Did I abuse it here?  I also like Live and let live.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

DavidW

Quote from: Mirror Image on July 15, 2021, 06:41:55 AM
I admire your tenacity. ;) As much as I love Mahler's 9th, I couldn't listen to it for several weeks and this be the only work I listen to. If anything, it'd make me not want to hear this symphony for a long time.

Well you don't strike me as the type that would just relisten repeatedly to the same thing.  You're always on the prowl.

DavidW

I also did the same thing for Tchaikovsky's 6th. :o

Mirror Image

Quote from: DavidW on July 18, 2021, 06:36:11 AM
Well you don't strike me as the type that would just relisten repeatedly to the same thing.  You're always on the prowl.

While I do agree with this, there was one instance where I listened to the same work 11 times in a row and that was Berg's Violinkonzert (the Mutter/Levine performance). This concerto was completely new to me at the time, but I became rather obsessed with it (and I still am but obviously to a lesser degree ;)).