Monthly Focus

Started by Judith, July 01, 2020, 02:39:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karl Henning

Quote from: DavidW on July 18, 2021, 06:37:35 AM
I also did the same thing for Tchaikovsky's 6th. :o

Quote from: Mirror Image on July 18, 2021, 06:39:15 AM
While I do agree with this, there was one instance where I listened to the same work 11 times in a row and that was Berg's Violinkonzert (the Mutter/Levine performance). This concerto was completely new to me at the time, but I became rather obsessed with it (and I still am but obviously to a lesser degree ;)).

It isn't crazy.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Jo498

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on July 17, 2021, 12:46:31 PM
Possibly. Did I abuse it here?  I also like Live and let live.
This was at least good for a decent Bond movie title...
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Karl Henning

Quote from: Jo498 on July 18, 2021, 09:56:26 AM
This was at least good for a decent Bond movie title...

(* chortle *)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Judith

Well, after Brahms  last month, it's another cello sonata no 2 with Faure.  After the beautiful no 1, wanted to know this one better.
Performed by Steven Isserlis and Pascal Devoyon🎼🎼

aligreto

It has been quite a while since I had listened to Fauré's Cello Sonata No. 2 so I took my versions down and dusted them off:

1. Igloi & Benson:

2. P. Tortelier & Heidsieck

3. Isserlis & Devoyon

4. Bruns & Ishay

I will post relevant comments in the Fauré thread for anyone interested.

Karl Henning

Quote from: Judith on August 04, 2021, 06:15:26 AM
Well, after Brahms  last month, it's another cello sonata no 2 with Faure.  After the beautiful no 1, wanted to know this one better.
Performed by Steven Isserlis and Pascal Devoyon🎼🎼

Nice!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Judith

Well, for this months focus it's Mendelssohn Cello Sonata no 2. Wanted to know this one better and ashamed to say not very familiar with it because it is beautiful and easy to listen.
Recording that am using is by
Steven Isserlis
Stephen Hough

Karl Henning

Interesting, Judith. I don't know it at all.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

aligreto

Quote from: Judith on September 04, 2021, 05:01:58 AM
Well, for this months focus it's Mendelssohn Cello Sonata no 2. Wanted to know this one better and ashamed to say not very familiar with it because it is beautiful and easy to listen.
Steven Isserlis
Stephen Hough

You also have me there, Judith. I neither have this in my collection nor have ever heard it. I will have to search the web for listening samples.

foxandpeng

Steven Isserlis
Stephen Hough

I must say, I admire your single-mindedness. I have spent the last three months listening to 2 or 3 Shostakovich SQs each day, and toward the end, despite their innate beauty and fascination, have begun to weary of them due to over exposure. One piece per month is outstanding focus and concentration. I need to up my game. Perhaps my lack of stamina is holding me back in my ability to know the deep nuances of particular pieces as I should. Having said that, I think I now know the Shostakovich better than any other SQ cycle that I have heard.

This month is more SQs, continuing with Holmboe at a rate of two a day, every day, but I need the variety of a couple of listening projects alongside a broad smattering of other works both new and familiar. Bartok, Sculthorpe, Mansurian, etc. Oh, and a Shostakovich symphony daily. I take my hat off to your patient attention! I am a mere amateur in a school of experts, I think.
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

DavidW

I really like Telemann's concerti and cantatas... Telemann will probably be my monthly focus.  Last month it was Holmboe's string quartets (not all of them just one volume).

Karl Henning

Quote from: foxandpeng on September 06, 2021, 07:47:40 AM
I must say, I admire your single-mindedness. I have spent the last three months listening to 2 or 3 Shostakovich SQs each day, and toward the end, despite their innate beauty and fascination, have begun to weary of them due to over exposure. One piece per month is outstanding focus and concentration. I need to up my game. Perhaps my lack of stamina is holding me back in my ability to know the deep nuances of particular pieces as I should. Having said that, I think I now know the Shostakovich better than any other SQ cycle that I have heard.
You've earned an informed overview.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

aligreto

Steven Isserlis
Stephen Hough

I had not heard this work before so I went in search of it. I chose Maisky/Tiempo as my introduction. I very much liked the work on first listen and I felt that the musicians presented it very well indeed.

https://www.youtube.com/v/A4t-OBAgX7A

Jo498

Both of Mendelssohn's cello sonatas are very good pieces. I dislike calling such a famous composer underrated (because the term is used inflationary) but a lot of his brilliant chamber music is neglected in favor of the (justly) famous octet, 1st piano trio and a minor and f minor string quartets.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

foxandpeng

"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

DavidW

Quote from: Jo498 on September 06, 2021, 12:41:16 PM
Both of Mendelssohn's cello sonatas are very good pieces. I dislike calling such a famous composer underrated (because the term is used inflationary) but a lot of his brilliant chamber music is neglected in favor of the (justly) famous octet, 1st piano trio and a minor and f minor string quartets.

Don't forget the string quintets!

Pohjolas Daughter

Steven Isserlis
Stephen Hough
Must admit, I haven't hauled out any Mendelssohn in quite some time but I enjoyed listening to this work.  I believe that the only recording that I have of it is with Janos Starker and Gyorgy Sebok.  It's a lovely recording and is on Mercury (great sound!).  If you're interested in listening to this version, it's on youtube here:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMIRDPisPSo (other uploads to youtube too).

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Judith

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on September 07, 2021, 06:10:41 AM
Must admit, I haven't hauled out any Mendelssohn in quite some time but I enjoyed listening to this work.  I believe that the only recording that I have of it is with Janos Starker and Gyorgy Sebok.  It's a lovely recording and is on Mercury (great sound!).  If you're interested in listening to this version, it's on youtube here:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMIRDPisPSo (other uploads to youtube too).

Sorry for the late reply but thank you for this. Enjoyed this one!

PD

Judith

Decided I wanted to explore Saint Saens further, so this month it is his piano concerto no 1 in D major.
Lovely recording also by
Stephen Hough
CBSO
Sakari Oramo!

Brahmsian

Quote from: Judith on October 04, 2021, 05:00:58 AM
Decided I wanted to explore Saint Saens further, so this month it is his piano concerto no 1 in D major.
Lovely recording also by
Stephen Hough
CBSO
Sakari Oramo!

Saint Saens piano concerti are amazing works! And I love the Hough recordings.