Ida Haendel (1923-2020)

Started by vandermolen, July 07, 2020, 06:26:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

Soloist for the greatest performance of Allan Pettersson's 2nd VC IMO.
A great artist. She sounds quite a character!
RIP

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2020/jul/01/ida-haendel-obituary
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

aligreto

That is sad news indeed, Jeffrey.

When I think of Haendel I immediately think of the Sibelius Violin Concerto.

Daverz

I only have a handful of her recordings, but they are treasurable: Sibelius, Walton and Britten with Berglund and Enescu Violin Sonata No. 3 with Ashkenazy.   I still think the Enescu is one of the best.

Oh, and that Pettersson CD, which I found in a used CD shop.  I admit that I did not at all appreciate it at the time and tried to take it back to the shop, but luckily for me they wouldn't take it back.

vandermolen

Quote from: aligreto on July 07, 2020, 07:52:11 AM
That is sad news indeed, Jeffrey.

When I think of Haendel I immediately think of the Sibelius Violin Concerto.
Indeed Fergus, also the Walton.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Irons

My wife bought me as a birthday present a first edition of her autobiography for an insane cost - but I am worth it.  :-* Haendel was deeply hurt to the end of her life by comments of her appearance when performing.

She was a great violinist. I initially thought her Sibelius, and more so Elgar, too slow. How wrong was that! Her rendition of both works is perfection.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

André

Just saw this thread. I posted on her demise in the Great Violinists thread, but didn't think of starting one. Haendel was one of my very favourite artists, be they conductors, singers or instrumentists. She had a calling, not just virtuoso talent.

aligreto

Quote from: Irons on July 11, 2020, 08:12:59 AM
My wife bought me as a birthday present a first edition of her autobiography for an insane cost - but I am worth it.  :-* Haendel was deeply hurt to the end of her life by comments of her appearance when performing.

She was a great violinist. I initially thought her Sibelius, and more so Elgar, too slow. How wrong was that! Her rendition of both works is perfection.

Very nice!

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on July 11, 2020, 08:12:59 AM

Wow Irons!  I trust that you were pleased with your present?   :)  Note, you might want to get/make a protective cover for it.

Enjoy!

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Irons

You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Irons

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on July 12, 2020, 05:06:14 AM
Wow Irons!  I trust that you were pleased with your present?   :)  Note, you might want to get/make a protective cover for it.

Enjoy!

PD

Thanks, P. Some time before the invasion of Poland the family moved to London. England was a disappointment to Ida, who had been told that it was an island and had imagined sun and palm trees.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on July 12, 2020, 10:10:00 AM
Thanks, P. Some time before the invasion of Poland the family moved to London. England was a disappointment to Ida, who had been told that it was an island and had imagined sun and palm trees.
Well, if anyone could grow palm trees there, I'd leave it to you!  ;)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Irons

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on July 12, 2020, 01:10:53 PM
Well, if anyone could grow palm trees there, I'd leave it to you!  ;)

PD

:laugh: