Artists/Bands you can't live without

Started by Papy Oli, July 07, 2020, 07:05:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

steve ridgway

Quote from: Papy Oli on July 14, 2020, 04:50:45 AM
Hawkwind and Young Gods: mixed bag but did keep a few tracks of both in my favourites... Kissing the Sun and Donnez les Esprits hit the mark for Young Gods. I also quite liked Hawkwind's You'd better believe it, Lost Johnny, Psychedelic Warlords, It's so Easy. there's some leeway there to look at those again in more depth.

Klaus Schulze was a surprise. Qobuz didn't have Picture Music so i listened to Moondawn instead. Turned out to be really absorbed by it (with a break between both halves). Sounds like one i may look at further too with Tangerine Dream.

I'm glad you found a bit you liked. Art Zoyd Phase IV, Univers Zero Ceux Du Dehors and Henry Cow Western Culture may be a little more impressive to the (avant garde) classical listener.

Madiel

Quote from: Papy Oli on July 14, 2020, 07:12:54 AM
I only ever had Beds are Burning and Blue Sky Mine, but boy did I wear out those tapes back then.

Feel free to throw in some names by the way, even more so if off the beaten path.

Well my favourite single album is by a short-lived band called george (lower case) and the album is called Unity... wasn't even the more popular of their 2 albums. The 2 singers were brother and sister and the latter, Katie Noonan, has continued a fair career but I still think Unity was an absolute peak. Pop jazz electronic all kind of fused.

For pop music I can't go past (Megan) Washington, utterly gorgeous voice, she took a little bit of time to figure out how to use it. New album next month...

Missy Higgins has done some good things.

Meanwhile I have got stuck on my absolute favourite Paul Dempsey song which is one of those rare things I can play on repeat almost endlessly, and am not remotely tired of after 4 years. It's called Idiot Oracle.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Old San Antone

The thread title, "Artists/Bands you can't live without" is a foreign concept to me.  I could certainly live without all bands, or music itself, if I had to.  I suppose the OP is asking who are my favorite artists/bands, or at least that's how I must interpret it in order to post here.

1. Duke Ellington
2. Bob Dylan
3. Guy Clark
4. Louis Armstrong
5. Ralph Stanley

Mirror Image

Quote from: Old San Antone on July 14, 2020, 08:17:48 AMI could certainly live without all bands, or music itself, if I had to.

::) I believe that for a second.

Madiel

A stronger man than I. There is family history of hearing loss, I now have tinnitus in both ears, and quite frankly at times I am fucking terrified.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Old San Antone

Quote from: Mirror Image on July 14, 2020, 08:19:34 AM
::) I believe that for a second.

As I have gotten older, and have had experienced some health concerns, my priorities have changed.  So, in the big picture rock/pop bands do not loom so large as to be things I couldn't live without.  Believe what you want.

Quote from: Madiel on July 14, 2020, 08:25:22 AM
A stronger man than I. There is family history of hearing loss, I now have tinnitus in both ears, and quite frankly at times I am fucking terrified.

I would miss being able to hear sound or losing the ability to play my guitar and banjo.  But truthfully it would be possible to live without it.  I'd like to think I could adjust and still find purpose in living.

Madiel

Well I'd like to think that too. But to be quite honest I'm not that confident. Given that music is essentially my main psychological therapy and that I recognise how antsy I get if I don't have an opportunity to listen to it, basically daily, I'm by no means sure that I will be okay if I can no longer listen.

Papy Oli

Quote from: Madiel on July 14, 2020, 08:15:38 AM
Well my favourite single album is by a short-lived band called george (lower case) and the album is called Unity... wasn't even the more popular of their 2 albums. The 2 singers were brother and sister and the latter, Katie Noonan, has continued a fair career but I still think Unity was an absolute peak. Pop jazz electronic all kind of fused.

For pop music I can't go past (Megan) Washington, utterly gorgeous voice, she took a little bit of time to figure out how to use it. New album next month...

Missy Higgins has done some good things.

Meanwhile I have got stuck on my absolute favourite Paul Dempsey song which is one of those rare things I can play on repeat almost endlessly, and am not remotely tired of after 4 years. It's called Idiot Oracle.

I assume the george is this one ?

Nice voices on the first songs, Like the atmospheres too. Will have a proper listen tomorrow.

Their sound has linked my mind to some artists in the same vein in my collection:

For his voice, Try Ben & Jason - $10 dollar miracle, Emoticons, Let's murder Vivaldi, Romeo and Juliet are drowning, The wild things, etc...

For her voice, check Bic Runga, the Beautiful Collision album. she's from NZ, so probably on your radar already anyway ?

I'll check the rest of the names you gave tomorrow.
Olivier

Madiel

Yes that's the george album. I even love the booklet artwork...

I'm aware of Bic Runga but have heard very little, she only had brief prominence here. So now I've got homework  ;D

Carlo Gesualdo

The answer is 3 Letters long , yep I know short but sweet  CCR
who does not love CCR here , or worst whom does not love CCR  and is an american shame on you(just kidding) lol
  ;D

Great band Lots of greats  it's ''It came out of the sky'' super fun one of my favorite for lyrics & music that kick *ss.