Three Great Unfinished Symphonies

Started by vers la flamme, July 07, 2020, 12:59:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which of these three is your favorite unfinished symphony?

Franz Schubert: Symphony No.8 in B minor
10 (32.3%)
Anton Bruckner: Symphony No.9 in D minor
13 (41.9%)
Gustav Mahler: Symphony No.10 in F-sharp major
8 (25.8%)

Total Members Voted: 28

vers la flamme

Schubert, Bruckner & Mahler each have one great unfinished symphony in their catalogue, typically written late in the composer's career. Between these three (Schubert's 8th (or 7th, depending on how you number them), Bruckner's 9th, and Mahler's 10th), which is your favorite, and why?

For me, I'm rocking with Schubert. Schubert's Unfinished Symphony is one of the pieces that made me love classical music, and I still count it as a favorite. There is so much depth, passion, and intensity in such a small package. It seems Schubert never intended to finish it (having left the two movements alone for several years before his death) and honestly, he didn't need to. I love Bruckner and his 9th is one of my favorites, but the Schubert just edges it out. As for Mahler, he is one of my very favorite composers, but the 10th is not a work I've connected with greatly, or at least not yet.

Curious to see any thoughts.

Archaic Torso of Apollo

Bruckner. While technically unfinished, it feels finished. I've heard completions of the finale, and they don't convince me one bit. Not only is it finished as it is, it's one of Bruckner's best works from a structural point of view. A fourth movement would have been a letdown.
formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach

vandermolen

I like all three but I have to go with Anton.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Crudblud

I'm tempted to go with Bruckner as well, since it exists in a substantial three movement version orchestrated in full by the composer. I have yet to hear a satisfactory "performing version" of Mahler 10, despite the valiant and largely successful efforts of Barshai to outdo his predecessors. However, it has been a long time since I listened to the Schubert, so for now I abstain.

some guy

Quote from: Archaic Torso of Apollo on July 07, 2020, 01:16:15 PM
Bruckner. While technically unfinished, it feels finished. I've heard completions of the finale, and they don't convince me one bit. Not only is it finished as it is, it's one of Bruckner's best works from a structural point of view. A fourth movement would have been a letdown.
Times two.

Mirror Image

Bruckner gets my vote! One of my favorites from him.

relm1

The answer is easy.  Sibelius No. 8.  And Shostakovich 16.  Also Mahler 10. 

Sergeant Rock

the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

vandermolen

Quote from: relm1 on July 07, 2020, 05:12:48 PM
The answer is easy.  Sibelius No. 8.  And Shostakovich 16.  Also Mahler 10.
That's interesting. When Shostakovich died in 1975 I remember that some newspapers talked about him working on a 16th Symphony but, since then, I've never heard anything else about it.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

ritter

Florestan

Schubert without any hesitation or second thoughts.
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Jo498

I voted Bruckner but Schubert b minor is of course also extraordinary (and a piece I have listened to far more often than Bruckner's and Mahlers). Schubert's is really a different case than the others. If completed, would have been his first major orchestral piece and one of his first major instrumental pieces. As it is, I'd say the roughly contemporary Wanderer fantasy is his first breakthrough instrumental piece (not to take anything away from pieces like the "Trout quintet" or earlier piano sonatas but they are not as independent, original and heavyweight as the Wandererfantasie and a finished b minor symphony would have been even more weighty and original). Despite the beginning of the scherzo and the possibility that the Entr'acte used in some completions could have been a finale, it seems that Schubert had progressed too quickly and daringly with the first movements (especially the first, I'd say) so he didn't really know how to proceed. He had to retreat and regroup to some extent and accordingly the great C major is in some ways less daring and more classicist than the b minor. (Similarly a few years later, the finished piano sonata D 850 is more classicist and conservative than the fragment D 840, but here we also have a finished piece D 845 somewhat in the middle stylistically.)
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Symphonic Addict

Bruckner followed by Schubert followed by Mahler.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Maestro267

Quote from: vandermolen on July 07, 2020, 11:12:39 PM
That's interesting. When Shostakovich died in 1975 I remember that some newspapers talked about him working on a 16th Symphony but, since then, I've never heard anything else about it.

Once or twice I've seen words that indicate the orchestral version of his Suite on Verses of Michelangelo could be regarded as Symphony No. 16. Given its structural similarity with No. 14, it's not that farfetched an idea.

Cato

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on July 08, 2020, 08:23:50 PM
Bruckner followed by Schubert followed by Mahler.

I like Deryk Cooke's "performing version" of the Mahler Tenth and the version of the Finale for the Bruckner Ninth by the quartet of musicologists who finished the sketches for the Bruckner Ninth, especially this one:

[asin]B007O3QC8K[/asin]
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

MusicTurner

Mahler completed for me, if that counts. A personal choice though, and it's tough facing the great Anton work. Otherwise, it would be Anton's 9th.

For Schubert, I prefer the 9th to the 8th. Not that the 8th isn't impressive.

vandermolen

Glazunov's 9th, Tubin's 11th and Elgar's 3rd also come to mind as potentially great unfinished symphonies.

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: vandermolen on July 23, 2020, 10:18:21 AM
Glazunov's 9th, Tubin's 11th and Elgar's 3rd also come to mind as potentially great unfinished symphonies.

Thumbs up for the first two.  ;)
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

vandermolen

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on July 23, 2020, 09:03:19 PM
Thumbs up for the first two.  ;)
I'm really sorry that Glazunov never finished Symphony No.9 and find the first movement to be very moving and poignant.

(poco) Sforzando

Love the Bruckner and Schubert, the Mahler not so much.

I think for an "unfinished" work, the Bruckner best succeeds in feeling completely "finished." But for an unfinished Schubert work, I prefer the C major piano sonata D. 840 for its extraordinarily powerful first movement and tragic andante.
"I don't know what sforzando means, though it clearly means something."