Sibelius's Valse Triste or Shostakovich's Waltz No.2?

Started by vers la flamme, July 10, 2020, 12:49:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which waltz do you prefer?

Jean Sibelius: Valse triste, op.44 no.1
6 (54.5%)
Dmitri Shostakovich: Waltz No.2 from the Suite for Variety Orchestra (aka "Jazz Suite No.2")
5 (45.5%)

Total Members Voted: 10

vers la flamme

Which of these two famous orchestral waltzes do you prefer? I think it's safe to say that neither of them is totally serious nor generally representative of the style of the composer, but I like them both. Call it a guilty pleasure. If pressed I think I would have to rock with the Shostakovich.

What do you think? Do you like these "bon-bons"? Do you hate them? Most importantly, which do you like better?

Sergeant Rock

the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

vers la flamme

Quote from: Mirror Image on July 10, 2020, 12:57:18 PM
What an odd poll.

Do you have any input on the question, or did you just come to the thread to trash my poll?  ;D

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Mirror Image on July 10, 2020, 01:38:18 PM
I have to say I'm with you, Sarge.

I like the Shostakovich...but I love the Sibelius.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Mirror Image

André

Quote from: vers la flamme on July 10, 2020, 12:49:58 PM
Which of these two famous orchestral waltzes do you prefer? I think it's safe to say that neither of them is totally serious nor generally representative of the style of the composer, but I like them both. Call it a guilty pleasure. If pressed I think I would have to rock with the Shostakovich.

What do you think? Do you like these "bon-bons"? Do you hate them? Most importantly, which do you like better?

Can you provide a link for the Shostakovich work? Comparison will be easier as I think most don't know it.

But for me the choice is easy: I never tire of Valse triste. It's unsinkable.

Mirror Image

Quote from: André on July 10, 2020, 04:26:14 PM
Can you provide a link for the Shostakovich work? Comparison will be easier as I think most don't know it.

Very good point, Andre.

I'll provide the samples:

Sibelius: Valse triste, Op. 44

https://www.youtube.com/v/Bi4OnSPc3Yc

Shostakovich: Waltz II from the Jazz Suite No. 2

https://www.youtube.com/v/WaKdPgkTZ7M

André

The first time I heard the Shosty waltz was when watching a pairs figure skating performance at the World's a dozen years ago. Perfect pacing, perfect timing (just over 3 minutes) for that kind of thing.

vers la flamme

Quote from: André on July 10, 2020, 04:26:14 PM

Really? I was under the impression it was one of Shosty's most well known pieces. I knew it before I ever knew anything about classical music. It's in Eyes Wide Shut.

Y'all may be swaying me to the other side. The Valse Triste is definitely a nice little work.

(@MI, thank you for saving me the trouble of providing samples)

André

I think everybody knows the tune, but don't know it's from Shostakovich  ;).

Jo498

Neither. If "serious", I'd prefer La valse by some margin. If "light", I'd prefer lots of Strauss etc. waltzes If in between, I'd rather go with the waltzes from Tchaikowsky Balletts.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

amw

Third movement of Dvořák's 8th Symphony. For all categories of "serious", "light" and "in between".

I voted for the Shostakovich in this particular head-to-head though.

some guy

The Dvorak's a nice piece, to be sure. The whole symphony is, for that matter.

I'm fond of Tchaikovsky's waltz in the sixth. Come on! A waltz in five? What a hoot!!

And, speaking of hoots, surely the hootiest waltz is the one in Nielsen's sixth.