New to the forum - But not to Classical/Choral Music

Started by cc-30-12-33, July 13, 2020, 05:35:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cc-30-12-33

Evening all! I'm new to your forum but not new to "forums" in general, and not to classical music of all different varieties. I searched for forums such as this one because of my love for classical music and my hope that classical music will survive and live on, even in the wake of what's been happening culturally in our global society. 

First a little about myself. I started my classical music career as a "treble" in my local church choir (men/boys). Any fellow choir member from this Church should immediately recognize my forum name. It was our tradition that the 11pm Christmas Eve Service would always begin with the above hymn numbers as the "processional." (30-12-33).  30 - "First Noel."  12- "Oh come all ye faithful..." and 33 - "Silent Night."    (BTW: THe "recessional" was always 19 - "It came upon a Midnight Clear").   Anyway, I sang as a trebble in that choir for 5 years and some rather complicated works.  Our choirmaster an AGO Fellow, was hard and expected much from his trebles and altos, but what he produced was extraordinary. We actually were recorded for several albums,
but none came to frution, sadly. That man became a surrogate father to me. 

Along the way, I happened to develop a passion for general classical music (Instrumental stuff - symphonic, concertos, etc.). And I've always kept it. The sound is so pure, and that's something that is crucial to me. so even after so many years and some changes in music tastes (I'm also an equally strong Big Band Jazz enthusiast as well). These are the two genres wherein I can actually go to a concert and enjoy it.  I've discovered I simply can't do that anymore for hard rock and similar concerts. I just have to listen to them at home as best I can.

What made me join you good folks is that I'm hoping to discover that there are enough of us classical enthusiasts still out there and that this music will survive well into the future.  I'm actually hoping that we might have some still composing new classical works.  Hopefully, they will last as long as the older ones.

Anyway, good to meet all of you. I'll have some specific questions about some works, and I'll probably offer a list of my "favorites" in both choir and instrumental classical.

Cheers!

mc ukrneal

Welcome and enjoy! We have several here who sang or sing in choirs/groups/etc. And jazz is popular here on a couple separate threads.
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

steve ridgway

Hello and welcome. Yes, there are a few composers on here as well as enthusiastic listeners of a wide range of "classical" music.

david johnson

Greeting to you and welcome among us.  Right now I'm listening to the Rutter Requiem.

Papy Oli

Olivier

aligreto

Welcome aboard, enjoy your time here and post often  :)

Karl Henning

Welcome! fellow chorister, and composer, here

https://www.youtube.com/v/06c23GmNrpA

Be safe!  Old friends of mine also live in Fla.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

bhodges

Hello, cc, and welcome! (And thanks for the mini-education on those hymn choices -- was not aware of that.) In any case, I am a choral fan, too, and will look forward to your posting on that and whatever else strikes your fancy.

--Bruce

Mirror Image

Pohjolas Daughter

Welcome CC! And please be kind and don't ask us to post all of those numbers.  ;)

Delighted to have a new member around here and am looking forward to reading your postings.

Best wishes and stay safe,

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

cc-30-12-33

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on July 14, 2020, 03:10:35 PM
Welcome CC! And please be kind and don't ask us to post all of those numbers.  ;)

Delighted to have a new member around here and am looking forward to reading your postings.

Best wishes and stay safe,

PD

I wouldn't ask you to do that...  ;)   The "numbers" are an inside joke thing with the people in that choir, and I'm sure each choir has it's own insider stuff.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: cc-30-12-33 on July 14, 2020, 04:18:13 PM
I wouldn't ask you to do that...  ;)   The "numbers" are an inside joke thing with the people in that choir, and I'm sure each choir has it's own insider stuff.
I didn't think so, but thanks.  Happy singing!

PD 
Pohjolas Daughter