Bells/tubular bells in orchestral music

Started by Symphonic Addict, July 18, 2020, 07:47:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Symphonic Addict

I love when composers add this instrument to their works. A special touch is provided IMO.

What works have some interesting passages that include bells? I'm thinking of Bridge's Enter Spring and Casella's 2nd Symphony. Hopefully lesser known works.

Thanks in advance.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

steve ridgway

Oh yes, I like tuned percussion.

George Crumb - Easter Dawning for carillon.

Mirror Image

Pärt's Cantus in Memoriam Benjamin Britten comes to mind immediately.

Maestro267

Ones that immediately spring to mind are:

- The closing bars of Shostakovich's 11th Symphony, especially when the bell is left to resound after the rest of the orchestra drops out.

- Ending of James MacMillan's percussion concerto Veni, Veni, Emmanuel, when the soloist plays tubular bells, gradually speeding up until they leave the bells to resound for almost a full minute afterwards. During this, the orchestral players put their usual instruments down and play high-pitched finger cymbals.

- Messiaen was a fantastic composer for bells, and other tuned percussion. The third movement of Et exspecto resurrectionem mortuorum is memorable to me.

Sergeant Rock

Mahler Symphony No. 2 and Sibelius Symphony No. 4 (although many recordings use a glockenspiel).

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

relm1

Christo

Vaughan Williams, finale of his 8th Symphony (1953–5), "including all the 'phones' and 'spiels' known to the composer" (i.e. side drum, triangle, cymbals, bass drum, vibraphone, xylophone, glockenspiel, tubular bells, three tuned gongs, celesta).
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Maestro267

I have many examples of favourite moments involving many other percussion instruments, tuned or otherwise, but as this thread specified tubular bells, I stuck with that.

vandermolen

Quote from: Maestro267 on July 19, 2020, 04:30:18 AM
Ones that immediately spring to mind are:

- The closing bars of Shostakovich's 11th Symphony, especially when the bell is left to resound after the rest of the orchestra drops out.

- Ending of James MacMillan's percussion concerto Veni, Veni, Emmanuel, when the soloist plays tubular bells, gradually speeding up until they leave the bells to resound for almost a full minute afterwards. During this, the orchestral players put their usual instruments down and play high-pitched finger cymbals.

- Messiaen was a fantastic composer for bells, and other tuned percussion. The third movement of Et exspecto resurrectionem mortuorum is memorable to me.
+1 for the end of Shostakovich's 11th Symphony.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

kyjo

Definitely Arnold's 5th Symphony, where the the tubular bells intone the notes G and B (H in German), representing the initials of Arnold's friend Gerard Hoffnung, who had recently passed away. This occurs throughout the 1st movement and returns at the end of the work after the famous anticlimax, a most poignant effect.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

vandermolen

Quote from: kyjo on July 19, 2020, 11:07:45 AM
Definitely Arnold's 5th Symphony, where the the tubular bells intone the notes G and B (H in German), representing the initials of Arnold's friend Gerard Hoffnung, who had recently passed away. This occurs throughout the 1st movement and returns at the end of the work after the famous anticlimax, a most poignant effect.
Interesting. Thanks Kyle - it's a fine symphony quite apart from that.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Symphonic Addict

Interesting examples, guys. Further recommendations are welcome, of course.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Roasted Swan

In his 2nd Symphony Walton writes a single "D" for a tubular bell about 20 bars from the end - often inaudible on recordings but very effective when heard!  Franck in "Le Chasseur Maudit" uses (church) bells to warn the titular accursed huntsman as he rides to his doom......!

Biffo

Berlioz uses two deep bells in the Finale of the Symphonie fantastique to play the notes C and G. He suggests using two pianos if deep enough bells are not available. He has a section on bells in his Treatise on Orchestration and gives the SF as an example. It seems that Berlioz never got the bells he wanted and always used the piano option.

Nowadays, a large tubular bell is sometimes used though several of the major US orchestras (forgotten which ones) have specially made bells for this work.

relm1

Rimsky-Korsakov: Russian Easter Festival Overture
Rachmaninoff: The Bells cantata

some guy

Quote from: Biffo on July 20, 2020, 12:52:35 AM
Berlioz uses two deep bells in the Finale of the Symphonie fantastique to play the notes C and G. He suggests using two pianos if deep enough bells are not available. He has a section on bells in his Treatise on Orchestration and gives the SF as an example. It seems that Berlioz never got the bells he wanted and always used the piano option.

Nowadays, a large tubular bell is sometimes used though several of the major US orchestras (forgotten which ones) have specially made bells for this work.
Thanks Biffo. I am such a Berlioz fanboy, I hesitate to come on threads like this with the obvious as I'm always going on about Berlioz. Or I would be if I let myself.

There's Prokofiev, too. I will mention that. Ivan the Terrible is my favorite for bell work, though there are many other pieces where Prokofiev uses bells.

And Stravinsky. Les Noces. A magical ending to a magical piece.

Biffo

Quote from: some guy on July 20, 2020, 08:03:25 PM
Thanks Biffo. I am such a Berlioz fanboy, I hesitate to come on threads like this with the obvious as I'm always going on about Berlioz. Or I would be if I let myself.

There's Prokofiev, too. I will mention that. Ivan the Terrible is my favorite for bell work, though there are many other pieces where Prokofiev uses bells.

And Stravinsky. Les Noces. A magical ending to a magical piece.

Glad to know I am not the only one.

Your posting reminded me of another Russian work - the Coronation Scene from Mussorgsky's Boris Godunov

steve ridgway

Plenty of bells in Xenakis Bohor. If you fancy a wall of noise like a hurricane blowing the stained glass out of a cathedral onto knights in armour fighting among the shards below.

vandermolen

Stale Kleiberg: Symphony No. 1 'The Bell Reef':

Also: Andrei Petrov: 'Russia of Bells' Fantasy for Orchestra on a Theme by Mussorgsky: