Where are your favourite walks?

Started by vandermolen, July 22, 2020, 01:17:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

In these difficult times we have been encouraged to get out of doors and walk for exercise. Where do you like walking? My favourite walk is a ten mile walk from Gunnerside, a village in N.Yorkshire in the North of England where I have spent numerous holidays from age 19. The Yorkshire Dales is my favourite location in England, especially due to the great contrast between the bleak and rugged scenery at the top,of the dales and the pastoral landscapes in the valley bottoms. There are quite a few abandoned lead mines in the area, so the walk is full of history as well:
[/img]

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Herman

I just do a routine walk for twenty minutes in the 'hood, to keep some semblance of cardio-vascular life. I live in a relatively gree suburb. It takes quite a lot of effort to get out, there is so much stuff to do at home.

vandermolen

Quote from: Herman on July 22, 2020, 11:19:29 PM
I just do a routine walk for twenty minutes in the 'hood, to keep some semblance of cardio-vascular life. I live in a relatively gree suburb. It takes quite a lot of effort to get out, there is so much stuff to do at home.
Thanks for responding. What's the 'hood'?
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Herman

vandermolen

Quote from: Herman on July 23, 2020, 01:39:12 AM
A suburb of Leiden, Netherlands
Ah, I should know that as my daughter 'studied' there for a year! A lovely city.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: vandermolen on July 22, 2020, 01:17:46 PM
In these difficult times we have been encouraged to get out of doors and walk for exercise. Where do you like walking? My favourite walk is a ten mile walk from Gunnerside, a village in N.Yorkshire in the North of England where I have spent numerous holidays from age 19. The Yorkshire Dales is my favourite location in England, especially due to the great contrast between the bleak and rugged scenery at the top,of the dales and the pastoral landscapes in the valley bottoms. There are quite a few abandoned lead mines in the area, so the walk is full of history as well:
[/img]
It's beautiful!  How lovely!  Are there official trails there or are you free to wander around?

Best,

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Karl Henning

In normal times, the Harborwalk in Boston
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

vandermolen

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on July 23, 2020, 01:20:26 PM
It's beautiful!  How lovely!  Are there official trails there or are you free to wander around?

Best,

PD

Thanks PD.
There are various 'Rights of Way' which are the official footpaths that you can follow. Much of it will be over farm land or privately owned land so you are supposed to stick to the rights of way - there is usually plenty of choice and that's the same across the country. Yesterday I walked in some nice woodland near to where I live and there is a notice from the landowner saying that you are welcome to walk wherever you like (see signpost below):

Here's a map showing the rights of way although I tend to walk anti-clockwise from Gunnerside on the route:

vandermolen

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on July 23, 2020, 01:48:26 PM
In normal times, the Harborwalk in Boston
Nice! Is this where you mean Karl? How far can you walk?

Pohjolas Daughter

Jeffrey,

Thanks for the trail map; I'll file the info away for (hopefully) future trip (one of these days) back to the UK.   :)  By the way, is there poison ivy (or one of its relatives) around there?...should one wander (when permitted) into the woods?  And how busy is the trail these days?

Karl,

Ah, walking by the water...how lovely!  Hope that you will be back out there soon again!

There's a river that I like to go walking along...also some bike/walking paths.  I am also starting to explore some Audubon Society sites..why did I wait so long?!  Had a fun time last winter walking along with a friend through a forested area including crossing a stream--wishing at the time that I had brought some *ski poles along as it was icy in some areas.  It was beautiful though and 99% of the time, we were by ourselves.

*He was nice and lent me his during 'key moments'.   ;)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Mirror Image

I usually walk around the neighborhood, but there used to be a nice nature trail near our house, but it hasn't been used in years. I used to walk on this trail a good bit. I also used to walk a good bit around the shore of Lake Lanier, which is also nearby:

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Mirror Image on July 24, 2020, 08:03:35 AM
I usually walk around the neighborhood, but there used to be a nice nature trail near our house, but it hasn't been used in years. I used to walk on this trail a good bit. I also used to walk a good bit around the shore of Lake Lanier, which is also nearby:

Is it a case that there aren't any volunteers to maintain the trail?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on July 24, 2020, 08:03:35 AM

How beautiful!
PD not sure about Poison Ivy - not aware of any. That trail over Swaledale is never busy. Today we did a walk on the South Downs which went past the Long Man of Wilmington:

Brian

Amazing idea for a thread!

One of my favourite walks ever was to start in Lewes, Sussex, head out to Glyndebourne via country hills and fields, and then dip south to the South Downs Way and get a view of the Channel. Another was through the woods around Wendover and Chequers, although the main appeal there, a pub in Wendover with excellent hamburgers, is long since closed. Living in London, I would while away an afternoon just walking 4-5 miles around town, seeing whatever there was to see.

Here in Dallas, we're not well set up for walks: too hot from June through September, and too many wide streets. But out west, I loved a 10-mile loop hike around Pinnacles National Park (including across the top of the namesake mountains), a walk to the Continental Divide in Colorado which took us to the source of the Colorado River (the same one that goes through the Grand Canyon), and the Hoh River Rain Forest trail in Washington.

Actually, since Herman mentions it, one of my favourite cities to go walking in is, well, Leiden. Antwerp's not bad, either, or Delft. We got lost in Haarlem, though.  ;D

vandermolen

Quote from: Brian on July 24, 2020, 12:22:08 PM
Amazing idea for a thread!

One of my favourite walks ever was to start in Lewes, Sussex, head out to Glyndebourne via country hills and fields, and then dip south to the South Downs Way and get a view of the Channel. Another was through the woods around Wendover and Chequers, although the main appeal there, a pub in Wendover with excellent hamburgers, is long since closed. Living in London, I would while away an afternoon just walking 4-5 miles around town, seeing whatever there was to see.

Here in Dallas, we're not well set up for walks: too hot from June through September, and too many wide streets. But out west, I loved a 10-mile loop hike around Pinnacles National Park (including across the top of the namesake mountains), a walk to the Continental Divide in Colorado which took us to the source of the Colorado River (the same one that goes through the Grand Canyon), and the Hoh River Rain Forest trail in Washington.

Actually, since Herman mentions it, one of my favourite cities to go walking in is, well, Leiden. Antwerp's not bad, either, or Delft. We got lost in Haarlem, though.  ;D
Thanks! Thought it might make a change from Coronavirus etc. Lewes is very local and we drove past Glyndebourne today. There's a great circular walk from Glynde up to Mount Caburn and ending up on the golf course above Lewes.

Karl Henning

Quote from: vandermolen on July 23, 2020, 11:18:18 PM
Nice! Is this where you mean Karl? How far can you walk?

Yes, indeed.  At a guess, 5 miles.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Brian

Quote from: vandermolen on July 24, 2020, 04:19:56 PM
Thanks! Thought it might make a change from Coronavirus etc. Lewes is very local and we drove past Glyndebourne today. There's a great circular walk from Glynde up to Mount Caburn and ending up on the golf course above Lewes.
Mount Caburn was part of my walk and when I was there, people were parasailing off the top onto the land below. A cool sight.

vandermolen

Quote from: Brian on July 24, 2020, 05:40:37 PM
Mount Caburn was part of my walk and when I was there, people were parasailing off the top onto the land below. A cool sight.
Oh yes, they also parasail near Firle Beacon which is somewhere else where I often go walking.

kitsune

it's nowhere near as stunning as the previous entries, but I like walking in LaBagh Woods, in the Northwestern outskirts of Chicago

Iota

There are so many great walks in and around London, many on the Thames alone. It's wonderful for example walking along from the South Bank to Southwark Cathedral, past the Tate Modern, Shakespeare's Globe Theatre and the reconstruction of Francis Drake's Golden Hinde, with views across to the City and St Paul's, and ending up in one of the many excellent eateries around there. Or crossing Tower Bridge and down to St Katharine's Dock e.g. These walks are sadly going to be slightly different since coronavirus, as they are often buzzing with activity and people.

Some of the most spectacular 'walks' I had recently were in Yosemite National Park, California. The Porcupine Creek Trail springs to mind, where one emerges at the end, from dark, wooded slopes onto the heart-stoppingly glorious sight of Half Dome, Clouds Rest and plunging views of Yosemite Valley. All in brilliant sunshine when we were there.

Half Dome at the end of Porcupine Creek Trail (from the internet)

Quote from: Brian on July 24, 2020, 12:22:08 PM
Another was through the woods around Wendover and Chequers, although the main appeal there, a pub in Wendover with excellent hamburgers, is long since closed.

Lots of nice walks around there in the Chilterns. Do you remember the name of the pub?