Author Topic: The Cat Thread  (Read 38762 times)

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
Re: The Cat Thread
« Reply #320 on: November 21, 2021, 01:18:13 PM »
Something to give you hope:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zk5bGqOhMHI

PD

Indeed! That cat was lucky to find that kind lady.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Offline Pohjolas Daughter

• Veteran member
« Reply #321 on: November 22, 2021, 06:11:30 AM »
Indeed! That cat was lucky to find that kind lady.
I love the part when she says (before trying to give the kitten a bath):  "This will be either the bravest thing that I've ever done, or the dumbest thing I've ever done".  :D

PD

Offline Bachtoven

« Reply #322 on: November 25, 2021, 09:15:41 AM »

Offline JBS

• Veteran member
  • If music be the food of love, play on!
« Reply #323 on: November 25, 2021, 02:29:25 PM »
Margaret Getchell LaForge was a cousin of RH Macy who was for a number of years a senior executive in what was then a one store enterprise. She contributed a number of things to the company's history (including its logo) and had a thing for having cats photographed in human clothes and poses. (Supposedly they were dosed with whiskey to keep them placid.)
Here's an example.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #324 on: November 30, 2021, 06:47:37 AM »
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

• Veteran member
« Reply #325 on: November 30, 2021, 07:32:23 AM »
Another cat-loving composer:
Henry Cowell

https://www.ludwig-van.com/toronto/2014/04/19/composers-and-their-cats/
Fun photos Jeffrey!  Thanks for posting that link.  :)

PD

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #326 on: November 30, 2021, 09:15:32 AM »
Fun photos Jeffrey!  Thanks for posting that link.  :)

PD
My pleasure PD  :)
Always nice to see VW and his favourite cat Foxy again.

• Veteran member
« Reply #327 on: November 30, 2021, 09:25:14 AM »
My pleasure PD  :)
Always nice to see VW and his favourite cat Foxy again.
+1  ;D 

PD

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #328 on: December 01, 2021, 10:49:59 AM »
+1  ;D 

PD
Well PD, he does look like a fox, doesn't he?
I want this photo, signed by both VW and Foxy!

• Veteran member
« Reply #329 on: December 01, 2021, 11:16:03 AM »
Well PD, he does look like a fox, doesn't he?
I want this photo, signed by both VW and Foxy!

Yes, he does look very fox-like (for a cat anyway).  :D

Are you sure that it's his signature at the bottom and not someone just writing what it was a photo of?  What does it say after "& Foxy"....looks like his something or other starting with an "m"?

Would love to have that print in any event...perhaps Ursula wrote that underneath the picture?

Wonder whether or not there exists any kitty descendants of Foxy?  :-\

Speaking of cats, how is yours doing these days Jeffrey?

PD

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #330 on: December 01, 2021, 01:50:07 PM »
Yes, he does look very fox-like (for a cat anyway).  :D

Are you sure that it's his signature at the bottom and not someone just writing what it was a photo of?  What does it say after "& Foxy"....looks like his something or other starting with an "m"?

Would love to have that print in any event...perhaps Ursula wrote that underneath the picture?

Wonder whether or not there exists any kitty descendants of Foxy?  :-\

Speaking of cats, how is yours doing these days Jeffrey?

PD
PD it's signed 'Ralph Vaughan Williams' (he usually signed 'R.Vaughan Williams') so, I guess that it's to family or a close friend. Then it says 'X Foxy - his mark'. I think that the whole inscription is written by Vaughan Williams. Thanks for asking about Oliver. I attach a recent photo. As you see, he's enjoying a typically active day:
« Last Edit: December 01, 2021, 02:13:00 PM by vandermolen »

• Veteran member
« Reply #331 on: December 01, 2021, 02:02:24 PM »
PD it's signed 'Ralph Vaughan Williams' (he usually signed 'R.Vaughan Williams') so, I guess that it's to family or a close friend. Then it says 'X Foxy - his mark. I think that the whole inscription is written by Vaughan Williams. Thanks for asking about Oliver. I attach a recent photo. As you see, he's enjoying a typically active day:
Ah, yes, "mark" makes sense.

And thank you for the recent photo.  Does Oliver like being scratched under the chin?  Or?  In any event, please tell him that he has a "fan" in the US and scratch/pet him where he loves it the most and tell him that it's from me.

All the best wishes to you and your family,

PD

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #332 on: December 01, 2021, 02:16:30 PM »
Ah, yes, "mark" makes sense.

And thank you for the recent photo.  Does Oliver like being scratched under the chin?  Or?  In any event, please tell him that he has a "fan" in the US and scratch/pet him where he loves it the most and tell him that it's from me.

All the best wishes to you and your family,

PD
Thank you PD and the same to you. Yes, he's very affectionate and is often to be found on the pavement (sidewalk) outside the house, lying upside down and waiting for a passer-by to make a fuss of him. I will be sure to pass on your kind greetings. He is currently enjoying his new spot - under the Christmas Tree. As you can see he enjoys using the sofa as a scratch pad.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2021, 02:18:49 PM by vandermolen »