Where are your favourite walks?

Started by vandermolen, July 22, 2020, 01:17:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

foxandpeng

Quote from: steve ridgway on June 04, 2021, 04:56:24 AM
Alderley Edge this morning, including entrance to ancient copper mines and view to Jodrell Bank radio telescope.

If I looked out of my window, I could probably wave to you.

Well, almost...
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: foxandpeng on June 10, 2021, 04:48:33 AM

Well, almost...
I just googled Alderley Edge and read about a fascinating legend involving a farmer, a white horse and an old man.  :)  Is it well known?  At least in the area?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alderley_Edge#Notable_residents

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

steve ridgway

Quote from: vandermolen on June 08, 2021, 11:36:37 PM
Very nice Steve but where is Jodrell Bank?

It's not so obvious in that photo; this one was taken not far away but with a much larger telephoto lens.

steve ridgway

Quote from: foxandpeng on June 10, 2021, 04:48:33 AM

Well, almost...

We actually live 15 miles away in Sale but visit this part of Cheshire a lot as well as closer areas such as the airport and Wilmslow. The last few days though I've been walking the dogs from home, one at a time as it's a much more relaxing experience and different walks are better suited to each of them. Today Ralph went round the nearby park, Joe along the canal and Miko to the woods.

MusicTurner

Lovely, the scenery looks very fresh and lush.

steve ridgway

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on June 10, 2021, 05:01:27 AM
I just googled Alderley Edge and read about a fascinating legend involving a farmer, a white horse and an old man.  :)  Is it well known?  At least in the area?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alderley_Edge#Notable_residents

PD

I suspect it might be true as Ralph the dog once ran off in the woods and came back pouring blood from a long, clean and straight cut to his ear - just like a sword might inflict. :o

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: steve ridgway on June 11, 2021, 07:37:52 AM
I suspect it might be true as Ralph the dog once ran off in the woods and came back pouring blood from a long, clean and straight cut to his ear - just like a sword might inflict. :o
???  Poor dog!  And lucky you!  Three dogs to choose from when taking a walk.  ;) :)

I tried getting my cats used to being on a leash outside...that didn't go over well!  One of them kept circling around one of my rose bushes which made it quite challenging for the walker.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

foxandpeng

Quote from: steve ridgway on June 11, 2021, 07:20:13 AM
We actually live 15 miles away in Sale but visit this part of Cheshire a lot as well as closer areas such as the airport and Wilmslow. The last few days though I've been walking the dogs from home, one at a time as it's a much more relaxing experience and different walks are better suited to each of them. Today Ralph went round the nearby park, Joe along the canal and Miko to the woods.

Ah, we're not quite close enough to wave, then. We're just outside Sandbach, so we'd need to turn up the music pretty loud to be able to hear one another.
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

steve ridgway

Quote from: foxandpeng on June 11, 2021, 11:17:42 AM
Ah, we're not quite close enough to wave, then. We're just outside Sandbach, so we'd need to turn up the music pretty loud to be able to hear one another.

Allegaeon it is then. 8)

foxandpeng

Quote from: steve ridgway on June 11, 2021, 09:18:46 PM
Allegaeon it is then. 8)

Ah, buddy. What a great choice. A man of taste. My non-classical choice this morning is Uada.

Tolstoy

steve ridgway

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on June 11, 2021, 08:09:44 AM
I tried getting my cats used to being on a leash outside...that didn't go over well!  One of them kept circling around one of my rose bushes which made it quite challenging for the walker.

LOL we once saw someone in Lancashire taking a ferret for a walk on a leash. They'd need to keep a sharp lookout for dogs. :o

I'm making an effort to do different walks from home so today Joe's been to the lake - and in it.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: steve ridgway on June 12, 2021, 03:43:36 AM
LOL we once saw someone in Lancashire taking a ferret for a walk on a leash. They'd need to keep a sharp lookout for dogs. :o

I'm making an effort to do different walks from home so today Joe's been to the lake - and in it.
I know someone who has two cats (Bengals I believe) which he puts on leashes.  The older male one (which he acquired first) is fairly adventurous and they'll take short walks around their neighborhood.  The more recently acquired and younger female has gotten used to the leash but is much more people afraid and is reluctant to leave their yard.  They also have two stakes in their yard to which they have attached long leads(?).  They'll bring their cats outside when they (the couple) are hanging out in their yard.  The cats seem to enjoy it (and have access to shady areas out of the sun)...watching the birds, etc. (but can't get at them).

Yes, dogs love to go splashing around in the water...particularly on warm days.  :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

VonStupp

There is a 26-mile forested walking/biking trail near where I live, and we use it all of the time. Today, the girls and I went out geocaching along the way, which they like to call treasure hunting. The verge was pretty high and I got caught up in some gooseberries. Now it looks like I was attacked by a Liger.

It was a good time regardless, a beautiful day to be out and about, and the flora and fauna are always giving us surprises, like a fawn that leapt out and scared me out of my wits. The girls think it is hilarious when inevitably, at the end of each of our excursions, I lament needing blood-pressure medicine for our adventures.

-picture included-
"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."

steve ridgway

Quote from: VonStupp on June 17, 2021, 11:22:39 AM
There is a 26-mile forested walking/biking trail near where I live, and we use it all of the time. Today, the girls and I went out geocaching along the way, which they like to call treasure hunting. The verge was pretty high and I got caught up in some gooseberries. Now it looks like I was attacked by a Liger.

It was a good time regardless, a beautiful day to be out and about, and the flora and fauna are always giving us surprises, like a fawn that leapt out and scared me out of my wits. The girls think it is hilarious when inevitably, at the end of each of our excursions, I lament needing blood-pressure medicine for our adventures.

That looks good, nice to have some shade from the sun. We've stumbled across a few of those geocaches over the years, they have all sorts of treasure in them. :)

Pohjolas Daughter

-picture included-

Quote from: steve ridgway on June 17, 2021, 09:10:25 PM
That looks good, nice to have some shade from the sun. We've stumbled across a few of those geocaches over the years, they have all sorts of treasure in them. :)
Hadn't heard of geocaching before now...had to go and look it up.  Sounds like it could be fun!  What kinds of things have you guys found and what have you added to them?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

vandermolen

Quote from: steve ridgway on June 11, 2021, 07:12:21 AM
It's not so obvious in that photo; this one was taken not far away but with a much larger telephoto lens.
Great image! Thanks Steve.
:)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

-picture included-
Had to look up 'Geocaching' - how interesting!
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: vandermolen on June 18, 2021, 06:39:09 AM
Nice to know that I'm not alone!  ;D

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

VonStupp

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on June 18, 2021, 05:37:11 AM
Hadn't heard of geocaching before now...had to go and luck it up.  Sounds like it could be fun!  What kinds of things have you guys found and what have you added to them?

PD

Quote from: vandermolen on June 18, 2021, 06:39:09 AM

Quote from: steve ridgway on June 17, 2021, 09:10:25 PM

We started geocaching to add a little fun to our daily constitutionals with the children, and they enjoyed the added mystery aspect of being out and about. But, it has really been a great way to explore areas that we would have never found or looked for on our own.

Last week, we went to an 1800's cemetery that was in the middle of nowhere. This particular geocache had you use the dates on the gravestones to point you to a specific GPS coordinate, although they were so untouched by the passage of time, it was very challenging to decipher. In this case, it was fun exploring an homage to the past in this area, and a great way to connect with the natural world. The cemetery was in the middle of a forest, a ghost-town location I was unaware of. My girls were fascinated by an inchworm most of the time.

The treasures are usually for children, where you can exchange doodads. But, there are also special medals you can put in that can be tracked across the country to see who picks it up and where it goes. Otherwise, you log yourself on a paper provided when you find it and you can use the geocaching website to keep track of your finds and connect with the larger geocaching community. Some caches range from easy, humorous locations, to microscopic challenging finds, to multi-step, clue-based searches, to history/geology lessons.

It has been a good time since we discovered this activity. If you have a little detective burgeoning within, it adds the physical outdoors and community exploration to a curious mind and a body wanting to get out and about.
"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."

steve ridgway

We've been walking round Wythenshawe Park a lot lately, it's less than 3 miles from home and has plenty of open parkland and wooded areas. Rather cloudy today but no actual rain.