Where are your favourite walks?

Started by vandermolen, July 22, 2020, 01:17:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: MusicTurner on September 08, 2021, 04:22:29 AM
Stockholm has material for a good deal of visits - those pictures made me wish for a second one, since Vasa wasn't included in the first ... and Swedish rural landscapes, though quite uniform with forested, lake-abundant scenery and those wooden, usually red-painted houses, are just wonderful.
Yes, I'd love to go back there--and check out more of Scandinavia while I'm at it too.   :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

MusicTurner

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on September 08, 2021, 04:40:45 AM
Yes, I'd love to go back there--and check out more of Scandinavia while I'm at it too.   :)

PD

So you're quite acquainted with Stockholm? It's certainly one of the most scenic cities we have in the region, maybe the best introduction also; Copenhagen for example is a bit more German or Dutch-looking.

Alas, my Sweden visits, Sweden being just across the strait, have been put on a halt for a long time now, due to corona.

vandermolen

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on September 08, 2021, 04:13:49 AM
There's a fascinating timeline here.  It shows what they have done to the ship over the years--figuring out how to preserve it.  https://www.vasamuseet.se/en/research/how-we-preserve-vasa/preservation-timeline  :)

PD
Most interesting - thanks PD.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: MusicTurner on September 08, 2021, 09:49:33 AM
So you're quite acquainted with Stockholm? It's certainly one of the most scenic cities we have in the region, maybe the best introduction also; Copenhagen for example is a bit more German or Dutch-looking.

Alas, my Sweden visits, Sweden being just across the strait, have been put on a halt for a long time now, due to corona.
Yes, we were only allowed in due to special circumstances - I intend to go back. I was there in 2013 in happier circumstances when I arrived on the ship crossing from Helsinki. Sailing through the archipelago was a wonderful experience.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Irons

Quote from: vandermolen on September 08, 2021, 10:56:27 AM
Yes, we were only allowed in due to special circumstances - I intend to go back. I was there in 2013 in happier circumstances when I arrived on the ship crossing from Helsinki. Sailing through the archipelago was a wonderful experience.

Sounds tempting, Jeffrey. We enjoy cruises. Looking up the P & O website, Swedish cruises look tempting indeed. How was the weather?
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: vandermolen on September 08, 2021, 10:56:27 AM
Bet that that would have been a cool experience!  Do you remember about how long the crossing took?  Just curious.

Quote from: MusicTurner on September 08, 2021, 09:49:33 AM

Only that one trip alas.  :(

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

vandermolen

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on September 09, 2021, 03:17:32 AM
Bet that that would have been a cool experience!  Do you remember about how long the crossing took?  Just curious.
Only that one trip alas.  :(

PD
Yes it was a cool experience PD. About 11.5 hours for the crossing. I woke up in the night to find that the ship had docked at the Aaland Islands, which I also thought was cool. In the morning the journey through the archipelago to Stockholm should not be missed. Weather in Stockholm was pleasantly warm (about 15 to 19 degrees).

vandermolen

A few photos from our walk on the South Downs yesterday:

MusicTurner

Great photos, and beautiful views down the valley. It looks like your wife is feeling better?

vandermolen

Quote from: MusicTurner on September 13, 2021, 10:20:02 AM
Great photos, and beautiful views down the valley. It looks like your wife is feeling better?
Thank you! Yes, she's doing ok - just having her lunch in the photo. The valley, which you suddenly come across (bottom photo), is quite dramatic in its way.

vandermolen

Another couple of photos from my walk over the weekend. Basically, the walk follows the path and then turns left up the hill ahead to reach a junction with the South Downs Way which it then follows for a couple of miles with fine views over the Downs and Sea before descending to the village of Jevington and then follows the valley back to Folkington where the walk starts. The 'Long Man of Wilmington' (Hill figure) is just ahead on the left, but not in the photos. The walk is c.6 miles but, with an extension, it can go on to 8.5 miles:

krummholz

Quote from: vandermolen on September 09, 2021, 04:48:03 AM
Yes it was a cool experience PD. About 11.5 hours for the crossing. I woke up in the night to find that the ship had docked at the Aaland Islands, which I also thought was cool. In the morning the journey through the archipelago to Stockholm should not be missed. Weather in Stockholm was pleasantly warm (about 15 to 19 degrees).

You must have a thick skin! I prefer hiking at those temperatures, but they definitely feel cool to me when standing still.

MusicTurner

vandermolen

Quote from: krummholz on September 17, 2021, 07:44:41 PM
You must have a thick skin! I prefer hiking at those temperatures, but they definitely feel cool to me when standing still.
Maybe it was a bit warmer. I checked the temperatures before going to Stockholm - but it felt warmer when we were there.

vandermolen

vandermolen

I'd like you to think that this is a scene from my local village walk but it is actually Niagara Falls  ;D
My daughter is in Canada visiting the family of her new Canadian husband in Hamilton Ontario (by a weird coincidence my father trained there with the RAF in World War Two) and she sent this photo. I gather that that is the USA in the background - I am most jealous of her!

Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

vandermolen

André

Quote from: vandermolen on September 18, 2021, 11:59:18 PM
I'd like you to think that this is a scene from my local village walk but it is actually Niagara Falls  ;D
My daughter is in Canada visiting the family of her new Canadian husband in Hamilton Ontario (by a weird coincidence my father trained there with the RAF in World War Two) and she sent this photo. I gather that that is the USA in the background - I am most jealous of her!

Yup. Canadian falls on the right, american falls on the left. I believe this must be taken from the Skylon Tower. It didn't exist when I visited - sometime in the 1980s.

vandermolen

Quote from: André on September 19, 2021, 11:10:39 AM
Yup. Canadian falls on the right, american falls on the left. I believe this must be taken from the Skylon Tower. It didn't exist when I visited - sometime in the 1980s.

Thanks André
I never knew that the Falls was on the Canada/USA border.
Here she is again: