Author Topic: Where are your favourite walks?  (Read 42135 times)

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
Re: Where are your favourite walks?
« Reply #560 on: August 01, 2022, 12:48:15 PM »
Thanks for the nice comments - here are a couple more photos from Dorset:

They include an image of a heroic trekker who had slogged all the way up to 'Golden Cap' (me  ;D). The photo was not taken by my wife who was miles ahead of me but by a kindly member of the public.
A boat trip image, complete with Seagull who came along for the ride, a very large fossil from the impressive Museum in Lyme Regis and the ruins of a medieval chapel - the only surviving building from a medieval village.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2022, 12:50:45 PM by vandermolen »
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Offline Pohjolas Daughter

• Veteran member
« Reply #561 on: August 01, 2022, 12:58:53 PM »

They include an image of a heroic trekker who had slogged all the way up to 'Golden Cap' (me  ;D). The photo was not taken by my wife who was miles ahead of me but by a kindly member of the public.
A boat trip image, complete with Seagull who came along for the ride, a very large fossil from the impressive Museum in Lyme Regis and the ruins of a medieval chapel - the only surviving building from a medieval village.
;D  Nice!  And I imagine that the seagull appreciated the rest spot.  ;D

PD

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #562 on: August 01, 2022, 01:10:29 PM »
;D  Nice!  And I imagine that the seagull appreciated the rest spot.  ;D

PD
The Seagull was fun. He flew off, circled the boat a few times and then landed back on the deck. He was presumably hoping to scrounge some food. He became quite aggressive if another seagull approached the boat.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Offline Christo

• Veteran member
  • ... an opening of those magic casements ...
« Reply #563 on: August 02, 2022, 07:22:59 AM »

Great photos & stories! Back in 1986, I did a similar Dorset coastal walk, from Southampton to Exmouth IIRC. Great memories revived by your pictures :)
… music is not only an 'entertainment’, nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Offline MusicTurner

• Veteran member
« Reply #564 on: August 02, 2022, 07:41:59 AM »
Great photos & stories!

Yes, it's not an area I've been to, but those photos are both intriguing and beautiful.

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #565 on: August 02, 2022, 08:13:10 AM »
Great photos & stories! Back in 1986, I did a similar Dorset coastal walk, from Southampton to Exmouth IIRC. Great memories revived by your pictures :)
Glad to have revived some nice memories for you Johann!
Dorset is a great county and not too far from SE England.
I had lovely university friends in Shaftesbury and, in my youth, always spent New Year's Eve with them. Sadly the husband died a few years ago.

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #566 on: August 02, 2022, 08:14:05 AM »
Yes, it's not an area I've been to, but those photos are both intriguing and beautiful.
I'd strongly recommend Dorset.

Offline Christo

• Veteran member
  • ... an opening of those magic casements ...
« Reply #567 on: August 02, 2022, 10:20:11 AM »
I'd strongly recommend Dorset.
And I'd strongly recommend George Osborn, Dorset Coastal Walks - the booklet I still own after almost forty years. :)
… music is not only an 'entertainment’, nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #568 on: September 19, 2022, 07:59:50 AM »
Last Saturday my wife and I did a walk over the South Downs near Firle in Sussex. It was a beautifully clear day with nice views of the sea. We walked over Firle Beacon, which you can see in the background in the top photo. The sea view is from the top.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2022, 08:02:17 AM by vandermolen »

Offline MusicTurner

• Veteran member
« Reply #569 on: September 19, 2022, 08:54:56 AM »
What lovely photos - it must have been an excellent day to experience, and the late-summer light there is quite stunning ...

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #570 on: September 19, 2022, 11:36:40 AM »
What lovely photos - it must have been an excellent day to experience, and the late-summer light there is quite stunning ...

Thanks! Here's another photo. Yes, it was unusually clear and the views were great.

• Veteran member
« Reply #571 on: September 20, 2022, 02:37:47 AM »
I think that you just wanted to pet the sheep.  :)

PD

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #572 on: September 20, 2022, 10:59:07 AM »
I think that you just wanted to pet the sheep.  :)

PD
That's true. I was communicating with the one in the centre of the second photo!

• Veteran member
« Reply #573 on: September 20, 2022, 12:34:02 PM »
That's true. I was communicating with the one in the centre of the second photo!

:D  ;D

But, seriously, looks like a lovely walk/hike.

PD

Offline Irons

• Veteran member
« Reply #574 on: September 21, 2022, 06:16:26 AM »

Did you shout mint sauce!  :P
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

• Veteran member
« Reply #575 on: September 21, 2022, 08:25:13 AM »
Boooo!  :D

Speaking of animals, I was very touched that both of ER's corgis along with Emma, her beloved fell pony, showed up at the funeral.  :)  And added touch:  one of the Queen's head scarves carefully secured over the saddle.  :'(

PD

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #576 on: September 21, 2022, 01:34:01 PM »
Certainly Not!  ;D

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #577 on: September 21, 2022, 01:35:07 PM »
Boooo!  :D

Speaking of animals, I was very touched that both of ER's corgis along with Emma, her beloved fell pony, showed up at the funeral.  :)  And added touch:  one of the Queen's head scarves carefully secured over the saddle.  :'(

PD
Yes, I found their appearance moving as well.

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #578 on: September 21, 2022, 01:36:19 PM »
:D  ;D

But, seriously, looks like a lovely walk/hike.

PD
Yes, indeed it was PD, especially in such clear conditions.

Offline Papy Oli

• Veteran member
« Reply #579 on: September 21, 2022, 10:49:56 PM »

:laugh:  :laugh:

(Mint sauce is that British oddity that took me 20 years to appreciate but I couldn't do without it now, mixed in the gravy, yummy  8))

Anyway... nice walk indeed  :P
Olivier